The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

princepollux

Here is one showing how well the 645D does at dusk. 30" at f/10 with FA645 D 55mm. I wish it could go to 60" in aperture priority.

D&A

A field of lupines on Mount Desert Island in Acadia National Park. Shot at dusk with A 35mm + 2 ND grads for 5 f/stops correction. No focus stacking due to light wind; even at f/13 the background is not completely sharp. MF is unforgiving.
Lovely, lovely shot! Even without focus stacking, many other elements work to make this image one I'd like to see in a lrge print. Each time I've been to Acadia the weather has never been cooperative and look forward to a return visit. Time exposures at dusk is also something I haven't worked in MF. Very nice!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Tom, love the reflection of colors on the water and how the element of having the duck enter the frame with a trailing horizontal edge of water behind it, contrasts with the mostly vertical elements of the image.

Having lived in both New England and NY for a number of years, I've been seeing this years autumn images (so far) look as though many trees haven't yet turned colors. I know it can vary from place to place, but is maybe due to a late change of season or is this year colors not quite as prevelent as previous years? Just an observation. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Charles Wood

Here's a shot I took tonight out in the desert west of my home. Nothing particularly special but I like the back lit plants/flowers at sunset. The atmosphere was a bit hazy and the light was soft with a touch of gold. Uncropped image, 55mm @f13, ISO 100.

D&A

Charles, being an easterner, I and not familar with the various types of plantlife and landscapes out west, and am always facinated when presented with images such as yours. The colors and warmth really come though as well as the detail and texture of the landscape. Nice!

Dave (D&A)

Charles Wood

Thanks Dave.

Tsjanik, the plant is called Snake Weed by the locals. I don't know the true botanical name. It looks beautiful in the desert but drives you nuts if you have allergies. The desert is a great place to camp as long as you have a tent. Sleeping in the open invites 'critters' in the sleeping bag with you that you might not appreciate. And a beautiful shot of fall colors you've posted.

tsjanik

Thanks Charles. Camping without a tent in the east almost assures rain and mosquitos, so no problem. Here's a pano I'm working on; a change of climate compared to yours-water everywhere (Lake Erie).

Tom

Untitled_Panorama2 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Charles Wood

Tsjanik, are you stitching in CS? If so, what Layout do you select? I use to own a Fuji G617 and I got use to that presentation, basically one half of a 5x7 large format frame shot with a 105mm. I found that Reposition or Cylindrical generally gives me that type of view.

It looks as if you get some pretty incredible sunsets over the lake.

tsjanik

I use CS4 and automatic mode. Yes, spectacular sunsets are the quite common- an advantage of often having clouds.

Tom

Last edited:

aboudd

Field test Hartblei 45MM for 645D

This report is on the Ukranian version of the Hartblei available from Vitaliy at the tilt-shift store. It works reasonably well, with some reservations. We finally got a break in the weather that allowed me to do a definitive field test for the Hartblei 45MM shift function, I did not do anything yet with the tilt.

My first test in very flat light yielded poor results, I compared it with the 55 2.8 A. The 55 was markedly sharper in flat light. In fairness I had to revisit the lens. This series was done in partly cloudy conditions and the results were much better. Most shift lenses have resolution fall off wide open, the Hartblei is no exception. I shot the photos using aperture preference, which was fine when the lens was in neutral position, however when it is shifted, a 2/3 open compensation was needed. The Hartblei performs well starting at F8, and seems to hit a sweet spot in the F11-16 range. There is no F22, a bit strange, it jumps to F32 from 16. It looks pretty good stopped down as well. Resolution falloff at shift is the same as neutral. Lousy at F3.8 fine at F8 and above. Color rendition in a good contrast lighting situation looks good. I compared the Hartblei 45 Super Rotator Digital to the Pentax 45-85 FA (set on manual focus). See the example of the fountain taken in neutral position. Color rendering and accuracy on the Pentax 45-85 is better as is sharpness. Please note, I did no sharpening or other manipulation other than some subtle exposure adjustments.

My conclusion at this point is that the Hartblei is a viable T/S alternative for the Pentax 645 at a hefty, but not unreasonable price point. Is it as good as the Nikon PC-e glass or that of a technical camera? Well no, but it is one of limited options available for the format and it is viable. I am bothered that the fit is a bit tight. The lens does not mount and dismount as easily as a Pentax lens. I should add this caveat. All of my Pentax lenses are used, the Hartblei is new, so I do not know if that is a factor. The lens is also lacks an auto-diaphragm, so you have to focus wide open and stop down to shoot. F3.8 is good for focus but little else. Shooting at F8 to F16 will yield quite acceptable results. There is no communication with the camera, so your metadata will show only the shutter speed and ISO. If you like to record this stuff, keep a pencil and pad handy. While all of this slows the action down a bit, I am sure it is still faster than using a technical camera.

Finally, my dealings with Vitaliy at the tilt-shift store have been good overall. Delivery is slow however, so expect to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery of your lens.

The images posted were shot 10/24/11. I will do something more akin to a real architectural or landscape shoot as soon as possible and post those results as well.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks for the report Aboudd. I look forward to your further comments.

It would certainly be nice if someone produces a 67/645 shift adapter, allowing the 67 45/55 to be used.

Tom

D&A

Thanks for the report Aboudd. I look forward to your further comments.

It would certainly be nice if someone produces a 67/645 shift adapter, allowing the 67 45/55 to be used.

Tom
Agreed! I wish there was more options for tilt/shift for the 645D.

Nice work Aboudd and really appreciate all the effort in describing your findings.

Dave (D&A)

Charles Wood

ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

Here is a two frame vertical stitch/crop from a hike to Observation Point at Zion National Park about a week and a half ago. Fall colors were coming on strong. The sunrise became non-existent because of clouds on the eastern horizon but dawn and the alpenglow worked very nicely. 645D, 35mm @F11, ISO 100.

Dan Bellyk

Re: ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

Here is a two frame vertical stitch/crop from a hike to Observation Point at Zion National Park about a week and a half ago. Fall colors were coming on strong. The sunrise became non-existent because of clouds on the eastern horizon but dawn and the alpenglow worked very nicely. 645D, 35mm @F11, ISO 100.
Excellent work Charles

D&A

Re: ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

WOW, spectatular picture Charles. Lovely color and great detail. I'd love to see this one in a large format sized print. Thanks for posting!

Dave (D&A)