The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

Dave, thanks for comment. Yes, nearly no moire, just a faint trace here and there.
Shashin, I missed the Pentax gps. Thanks for pointing me. I'll try to get it and will report.
Sergio

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Steve, Dave,

many thanks for the comments and feedback.

Think I will still stay with my H3D39 ;)

Shashin

Dave, when are we going to see your comprehensive lens review? I would really like to see it. I have not been having the same problems you have with my optics and I would like to see what you are talking about.

Dan Bellyk

Yesterday (Dec 28, 2011) we had a wildly windy day here (a NJ barrier island). Fronts like this usually bring dramatic skys, and the 40 plus mph winds blow the sea spray when the waves break, making interesting photos. I got two "keepers" from my shoot. 645D, 75mm lens, polarizer, f13 at either 1/125 or 1/250, tripod mounted. Had a near disaster: The wind was so strong it blew my tripod over with camera and 35mm A lens on it nose first into the sand. I had a plastic grad filter on it which got smashed into a million pieces, but it did protect the front element. Home, I used a small paint brush to sweep away the dry sand, then used a lens brush to clean the front element. A pin point spot on the lens coating is the only casualty!
Thanks for looking

Very nice Dave, glad your camera is OK. I can imagine there was some cursing going on for a few seconds.....minutes.

Dan

D&A

Dave, when are we going to see your comprehensive lens review? I would really like to see it. I have not been having the same problems you have with my optics and I would like to see what you are talking about.
Thanks for your question. One of the reasons I am delayed in posting, was that I felt that with certain FA lenses, the sample size was too small to make a fairly definitive evaluation on relatively small sample sizesand therefore an accurate statement regarding performance. There were a few lenses which had so much sample to sample variation, that I had to have enough samples to make certain what I was observing was not the norm for a given particular lens. Its not that I had trouble with FA lenses in general...just that I am extremely critical when it comes to optical performance and in what I expect in terms of performance. It may not be what others look for and as such is always quite subjective.

Case in point...I had three identical Penatx FA lenses of a given type. I had a well known Photographer that uses a 645D test them out. He said two seemed almost the same and fairly good and the 3rd just a little bit soft compared to the other two. For my use, all three were dismal and wouldn't suffice for large format prints....but I finally found a 4th sample that was exceptionally good. Of course stopping down any lens to f11-f13 will cover up most optical anomalies and appear to be excellent. That's not where I shoot...always hoping for at least decent to good performance starting at 1 to 1.5 stops down from max aperture and that it only gets better from there as I stop down. So my findings may not be what others might have observed with the same lenses or what they possible need for their use.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Sergio: excellent pics...really like the dog shot...not exactly hostile, but more curious, I would think. What came of this encounter?

Roy Benson

gurtch

Pentax 645D ISO 400 1/60 second, f11, 75mm A lens. Hand held with monopod. I only got a few shots. I was standing on the edge of the walkway with 50 mph winds
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

Last edited:
Dramatic shot Dave,splendid, narrative, perfect in every detail. Compliments.
Roy, the dog performed in his role of guardian as a consumed actor, but finally briefly revealed his real nature for a short instant, that the precise and fast autofocus of the 645d helped to freeze.
Sergio

James Clark

Pentax 645D ISO 400 1/60 second, f11, 75mm A lens. Hand held with monopod. I only got a few shots. I was standing on the edge of the walkway with 50 mph winds
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
Wow. I don't post much here so far, but I've been lurking for quite awhile. This is one of my favorite shots I've seen on this site. Fantastic job!

gurtch

Thank you. We live on a barrier island off of the cost of NJ. This is the bay, not the ocean!!!. Does not happen like this very often, but I try to capture what happens here in winter. Thanks for the kind words
Dave in NJ

D&A

Sergio,

I'm quite taken with your image of the dog. It works on so many levels and the more I view it, the more I see things that resonate with me. A big :thumbs:

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Thank you. We live on a barrier island off of the cost of NJ. This is the bay, not the ocean!!!. Does not happen like this very often, but I try to capture what happens here in winter. Thanks for the kind words
Dave in NJ
Dave, as others have exclaimed.....tremendous shot! Love the drama of the moment captured and the lighting turned out to be an important element to the image's success as well the rough spray from the bay during the storm. So many other parts of this image worked and seemed to have come togther at just the right moments

I can truly say this image would look spectacular printed and framed. Lovely Dave!

Dave (D&A)

wolverine

Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
Dave,
Wonderful shot. The sea gull cracks me up. Calm in the storm. I spent my summers as a child at Surf City. Your photos bring back a lot of great memories. Spent a lot of time exploring and fishing LBI, ocean and bay side, especially down below Holgate. Frank

gurtch

Dave,
Wonderful shot. The sea gull cracks me up. Calm in the storm. I spent my summers as a child at Surf City. Your photos bring back a lot of great memories. Spent a lot of time exploring and fishing LBI, ocean and bay side, especially down below Holgate. Frank
Thanks Frank. I love HOlgate. If you go to my web site, there is a ton of pics from Holgate. My grandparents on both sides lived here year round since 1917 & 1924, so I have been coming/living here all my life. I am 75 yrs Old next month, and still love it here, as does my wife o 53 years.
Best regards
Dave
PS excuse the typos...this new fangled key board is a pain in the butt,

gurtch

Thanks Frank. I love HOlgate. If you go to my web site, there is a ton of pics from Holgate. My grandparents on both sides lived here year round since 1917 & 1924, so I have been coming/living here all my life. I am 75 yrs Old next month, and still love it here, as does my wife o 53 years.
Best regards
Dave
PS excuse the typos...this new fangled key board is a pain in the butt,
I meant the new fangled IPOD keyboard is a pain in the butt,,
Dave

Paratom

Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
WOW! looks nearly unreal - how quiet the seagull sits in the storm.
Great image.