The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

D&A

Nice Tim! Even though cropped, nice composition and detail all around. The FA 300 is a favorite of mine and I carry it most of the time like I would a 70-200 f2.8 for a 35mm system. A Lens with a good compromise on speed, size and of copurse excellent performance.

I was looking for the fish...was it in the Osprey's left claw? A bit hard to tell.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Dave:

How's your test of the 600mm? Any impressions so far?

Tom
Tom,

Interesting that you asked. I just spend a good part of the previous two weeks testing the A*600 f5.6 with and without the 1.4x and also re-evaluating the FA 300 f4 and FA 400 f5.6 with the 1.4x. I've just started writing the evaluation which I would like to add to the comprehensive lens testing thread I previously posted. High winds during the past few weeks certainly didn't help. When I have some time I wanted to post a preliminary image or two illustrating some of the stengths and charateristics of this lens.

I'm definitely impressed with the lens and it's resolving power is noteworthy, but handling and achieving rock solid support to avoid image robbing vibration is most definitely an issue. I'll elaborate on this soon. I also have to keep in mind not to keep comparing with the current Nikon supertelephotos, which I have often used as a standard for performance in long lenses.

By the way, we not only share a common interest in the cameras we shoot. Take a look at the "Something New" thread in the Sunset Bar :)

tsjanik

Well in an attempt to keep this thread breathing, a cliche shot of a sunset - 400mm FA @ ISO 400. The more I use that lens and this camera the more impressed I am.

Tom

D&A

Tom, when I look at your crop, there appears to be a circular shaped area in your film where the emulsion seems to have been burned away from the strength of the sun's light being magnified through the lens...LOL!! Either that or the 645D unfortunately doesn't have 2,674 stops of DR...:).

Tom, seriously, just opened this thread on my iPad and up pops your image. What cliche, that boat makes the pic for me and it's simply a spectacular looking image. This is certainly one I would print up big! Sometimes simplicity can be very powerful if it has the right elements and this one has it for me. I also couldn't agree with you more, regarding both the 645D and FA 400mm....exceptionally fine performing combination that gives many other highly regarded camera/lens combos a run for their money. Very nice and good to see this thread on top again.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Thanks Dave. Yes, not enough DR and notice all the red fringing around the boat! Actually I'm impressed at how the sensor and lens handled all that light. How's the 600mm testing going? I'm interested in that lens, so pm me if you sell it. (and if it's good).

How do you like the D800 compared to the 645D? I admit I'm tempted by it and a Zeiss 21mm rather than $5k for the 25mm, but by the time I crop to 4:3 , it's down to 30 MP.

Tom

D&A

Tom, left me briefly say that I have garnered a different perspective of your image, now that I am back on a regular computer. Not better or worse...just different and this normally doesn't happen when I causally look at the same image on my ipad vs. a calibrated monitor. Just an interesting observation and not sure what I make of it.

Tom, I purposely haven't completed my short write-up of the 600mm nor put the D800 through it's paces, simply due to serious time constraints recently and didn't want to rush things. As usual, I am delayed but hope to rectify it and have some words posted. It certainly isn't intentional.

One thing I can say is I have always been impressed with the Zeiss 21mm...even with it's CA and distortion....it's simply a fantastic lens for landscape use and even with cropping...should still be extremely impressive. Combine that with the other things you can do with a D800 as an additon to the 645D...and versitility of having both is increased.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Greetings, everyone. New 645D user here. I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!

And one, just for fun...nice to be able to hand the camera off to the sig-O and get a fun shot ;)

kuau

Workshop Member
Ashwin,
im affraid that you would make any camera shine. You have what most of us really want..... Talent, something you can not buy..
Again excellent images. I really love the space needle.

Steven

D&A

Ashwin,
im affraid that you would make any camera shine. You have what most of us really want..... Talent, something you can not buy..
Again excellent images. I really love the space needle.

Steven
+1, no make that +2 also! :) . Wow you work fast Ashwin...I didn't realize you already started posting shots with your 645D....nice! Most definitely agree with Steven, both on the Space needle shot as my favorite of this group of posted images as well as your having both photographic talent and a wonderful "eye" for capturing people. It's not as easy with the 645D vs. Leica M, simply in that for some people we meet (on the street etc.), a large camera is often very intimidating. That's where great interaction with your subject becomes most important.

As an aside, it's not everyday, people get to be "fist bumped" by Mr. Apple. I should be so lucky....LOL! Looking forward to seeing more!

Dave (D&A)

B

Bob Beresford

Interesting stuff . Have been interested in getting the Hasselblad / Fuji / - 40mm C-FE too.
Got adapters from Fotodiox that go from Hass-V to Pentax 645 and Mamiya 645 .

Got lots of Pentax 645 glass [ the 300 ED is brilliant , the 400 ED is very good , the big 600 mm is brilliant .....can drop 49mm polarisers into the back of it , already......, the 150-300 ED zoom is very light, useful , colourful , and hard to argue with. ]

Will have to get the 645-D body sometime , but annoyed the sensor is so small . Why can't they make it 48 -56 mm wide ? Better perspective and far more compatible with the Pentax 645 lenses . Otherwise , at 44mm , it's too close to the 'wide angled' view of 35 mm/'full frame' . The angle of view is more important - mostly - than the resolution.

Pentax has excellent wides , like 645- 45mm and 55 mm . Can shift these on a Canon 5d-2 with a Zork shift adapter .

Can anyone sell me one used ? ( Pentax 645 to Canon EOS ) .
email [email protected] [ can download free electronic postcards of New Zealand off that site ] . all the best.....it's a shifting world ?

A

acarlay

new user here.. i love the 645D! it took me awhile to get my post processing down to a point where I get this look consistently.. used 55/2.8 for these..

Ken_R

Here are a few images I made during the past week. All were made using the 35mm A lens (Manual Focus) except the suspension bridge shot (120mm A macro lens)

Last edited:

D&A

new user here.. i love the 645D! it took me awhile to get my post processing down to a point where I get this look consistently.. used 55/2.8 for these..

Wow, I had forgotten we had a seperate thread for the 465D as most have been posting their 645D images in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread. It does get confusing at times where we really should post 645D images. In any case these images were striking when I opened this thread up. The skin tones look lovely and thats not an easy thing to achieve and it's one of the things I love about the 645D! Very natural looking and colors look great too. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Here are a few images I made during the past week. All were made using the 35mm A lens (Manual Focus) except the suspension bridge shot (120mm A macro lens)
Hi Ken, welcome! Always wonderful when another 645D shooter joins our ranks and the images you posted are impressive! As I explaiend in my posting above, it's often hard to decide where to post 645D images...either in this thread or over in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread here on Getdpi, as that is where most with 645D's are posting. Maybe we'd find it useful to eventually settle on one or the other. A wider medium format audence is in the other thread to critique and look at images, but here it's generally 645D users, for the most part. In any case, nice to see others picking up this camera :)

Dave (D&A)