The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

bensonga

As I explaiend in my posting above, it's often hard to decide where to post 645D images...either in this thread or over in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread here on Getdpi, as that is where most with 645D's are posting. Maybe we'd find it useful to eventually settle on one or the other. A wider medium format audence is in the other thread to critique and look at images, but here it's generally 645D users, for the most part.

Dave (D&A)
Perhaps the admins could move this thread to the Medium Format Digital sub-forum, if most 645D users here agree?

Gary

Shashin

Perhaps the admins could move this thread to the Medium Format Digital sub-forum, if most 645D users here agree?

Gary
Actually, the admins move this thread from the MF section to here. I think we are just posting in the Fun will MF thread and this thread is more or less ignored.

D&A

Actually, the admins move this thread from the MF section to here. I think we are just posting in the Fun will MF thread and this thread is more or less ignored.
Gary I quite agree. I think if this thread remained in the medium format section, more 645 images might get posted here (in this thread) and it would be seen by a wider audience.

It's been a bit confusing. Shashin is correct, it now seems most post their 645D images in the Fun with MF thread. I think if that continues to be the case, then maybe this thread should be closed and if possible, the lovely images already posted moved there if possible.

Either way, whether 645D images are posted in this thread or fun with MF thread...it does belong in the medium format sub section again (in my opinion).

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Gary I quite agree. I think if this thread remained in the medium format section, more 645 images might get posted here (in this thread) and it would be seen by a wider audience.

It's been a bit confusing. Shashin is correct, it now seems most post their 645D images in the Fun with MF thread. I think if that continues to be the case, then maybe this thread should be closed and if possible, the lovely images already posted moved there if possible.

Either way, whether 645D images are posted in this thread or fun with MF thread...it does belong in the medium format sub section again (in my opinion).

Dave (D&A)
+1
Dave in NJ

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear 645D friends,

Although I am not a 645D user, I don't want to miss many fantastic images shoot by all of you.
If you can post these lovely images in the "Fun with medium format" thread, they will inspire other photographers, especially new members, to consider buying this fantastic camera which has been mistakenly underrated.

Thanks,
Pramote

Knorp

Dear 645D friends,

Although I am not a 645D user, I don't want to miss many fantastic images shoot by all of you.
If you can post these lovely images in the "Fun with medium format" thread, they will inspire other photographers, especially new members, to consider buying this fantastic camera which has been mistakenly underrated.

Thanks,
Pramote
Well, this forum is the 645D home base so to speak.
But one can always post in both of course :angel:

Kind regards.

tsjanik

I’m still experimenting with my newly acquired 600mm A*. It’s an amazing lens in terms of build and optical quality; however, it is a handful to use. The 400mm is light, very sharp and easily held by hand at high shutter speeds; in contrast, the 600m requires a tripod and extra stabilization. Is the 600mm worth the extra effort? Here’s a shot of some foxglove and a 100% crop (no sharpening beyond capture). I like the bokeh of this lens and it has very little CA; with 12 elements in 11 groups, the old Pentax appeared to produce the best lens they could.

_IGP7627 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP7627 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

tsjanik

Gary
+1. When this thread was moved from the MF forum to the Pentax forum they also moved the S2 thread to the Leica forum as well. Now I rarely see the S2 postings. In many ways it makes more sense to organize forums by camera type rather than brand. The 645D has more in common with the S or Phase cameras than the Pentax Q. As Shashin noted, this thread more or less died when moved, posters went to the MF forum, which is brand neutral.

Last edited:

D&A

+1. When this thread was moved from the MF forum to the Pentax forum they also moved the S2 thread to the Leica forum as well. Now I rarely see the S2 postings. In many ways it makes more sense to organize forums by camera type rather than brand. The 645D has more in common with the S or Phase cameras than the Pentax Q. As Shashin noted, this thread more or less died when moved, posters went to the MF forum, which is brand neutral.
=1 (or is it +2?) In either case I couldn't agree more and it would be nice to see this thread revived by placing it back in the medium format forum.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave (D&A)
How can I get a copy of your 645 lens reviews? I thought I had printed one out, but then came Sandy, and we were homeless for 6 months, and I lost or misplaced it. I just purchased a used 400 mm FA f5.6 lens. What was your opinion of that lens. I also have the 1.4x extender designed for the 300 mm f4 manual focus lens, which I also have, but I assume I can also use it with the 400? Be interesting to compare the 400 mm to the 300 mm plus 1.4x. Any thoughts? Thanks as always
Dave in NJ

gurtch

Dave (D&A)
How can I get a copy of your 645 lens reviews? I thought I had printed one out, but then came Sandy, and we were homeless for 6 months, and I lost or misplaced it. I just purchased a used 400 mm FA f5.6 lens. What was your opinion of that lens. I also have the 1.4x extender designed for the 300 mm f4 manual focus lens, which I also have, but I assume I can also use it with the 400? Be interesting to compare the 400 mm to the 300 mm plus 1.4x. Any thoughts? Thanks as always
Dave in NJ
Dave: I found it, printed it out and book marked it. I note on digiloyd's
paid site he gives the 400 f5.6 an outstanding review and " must have" for 645D owners.
Thanks
Dave

D&A

HI Dave,

Just caught your two most recent postings. Glad you found my comprehensive lens review for Pentax 645 lenses used on the 645D and congrats on the purchase of the FA 400 f5.6 lens.

I am of two minds when it comes to the FA 400 f5.6 645 lens and not in total agreement with digiloyd.

When taken by itself, it is an extremely fine lens (prefaced that one obtains a good sample). It most certainly benefits from stopping down from max. aperture and I can readily see the improvements in sharpness and resolution across the frame when used at f8 and especially f11. It's not a lens I would use often at f5.6 and depending on the situation, might start at f8 for my purposes. Keep in mind I expect a lot from long telephoto's such as this one and the FA 300 f4 645 lens often using many of the exceptional long telephoto's by Nikon. Although the lens is useable at f5.6, for prints, espcially larger ones, I have found it mandatory to stop down as described.

The FA 300 f4 645 lens I feel is notable and exceptional performer and one that most definitely deserves acclaim. When shot wide open at f4 the image quality is already quite impressive and although it does benefits from stopping down to f5.6 and even f8, f4 is most certainly usable for output to moderately sizable print.

The FA 400 f5.6 has the advantage of a longer focal length while the FA 300 f4 has the advantage of being a faster lens that can optically surpass the FA 400 f5.6 at wider apertures.

As for the question regarding use of the 1.4x with either lens, I've made some preliminary attempts but nothing formal. If it's a case of useing the Fa 300 f4 + 1.4x vs. the FA 400 f5.6 without a converter, I'd probably opt for the straight use of the FA 400 f5.6. It's not that the Fa 300 f4 doesn't do well with the 1.4x, it just that quite a bit of stopping down the lens is necessary.

I wasn't satisfied with the 1.4 on the FA 400 f5.6, but then again I expect a lot in terms of performance.

One things for certain, in the case of both these lenses, Af fine tune on the 645D is mandatory and makes a substantial difference in performance when used at the best setting possible.

*** As a side note Dave, I just sent you a PM.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Thanks Dave. I only have one FA lens, the excellent 45-85, so I have never attempted to fine tune the focus ( don't even know how to do it). Now that I will have two FA lenses, I should probably learn how to do it. As your review says, the 45-85 is a real winner. It constantly makes outstanding 24"x 32" prints. I use it usually around f11 to f13 for seascapes, usually with a monopod. All my other lenses are manual focus A lenses: 35mm, 75 mm, 120 macro, 150 mm, 200 mm, and 300 mm. I agree with you: at the give away prices for a used 75mm lens ( especially the MF version), this is a real gem. Small, light and mine is very sharp at small apertures which I use. I always enjoy your postings. We all thank you.
Dave

D&A

Dave, thanks ever so much for the very kind words...you don't know how much I appreciate that!

Yes, the 45-85 zoom is excellent, especially between 45-65mm, where beyond that, it does show a small increase in softness but still very usable.

There are a number of ways to AF fine tune a Pentax FA lens on the 645D...of course all tripod mounted. In one of the sub menus on the 645D you will come across Af fine tune setting. I don't have the 645D in front of me but from what I recall, press "OK" when you get to that menu setting and it will allow you to move a slider from -10, thru zero and continue up to +10. You can use any setting between -10 and +10.

To begin with, I take a test shot with one of the fixed focal length Autofocus lenses at a mid distance subject at the -10, -5, 0, +5, +10 settings and examine each file on your computer at 100%. You will notice in most cases that one of these AF fine tune settings is superior to the rest. Sometimes its close and sometimes not. Once I narrow down which setting gives the best degree of sharpness (I examine both center and sides of the frame), I then take a few test shots on either side of this AF fine tune setting to get a precise numerical setting I will use with a particular sample of a lens.

Each sample of the same lens can often result in a very different settings for each.

Zooms are a bit different as I often test at both the wide and long ends of a zoom and at a middle focal length setting. Then I determine best AF fine tune setting at each zoom setting and pick the AF fine tune setting that best represents most of the zoom range.

This is all easier done in practice than my explaining it with the written word.

I'm sometimes in PA. and maybe one day I'll will swing by LBI.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

Thanks again for the explanation. Please if on LBI get in touch with me. Not only can I show you my favorite photo spots, we could lift a glass or three of your favorite beverage (ours is Pinot Grigio), but we have everything. Keep your informative posts coming!
Dave