Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with the 645D

Inspired by the images in Jono's Fun with the Pentax K-5 thread, I thought to start one for the 645D. Very pleased with the camera. Until I got the 645D, I was primarily a film shooter and I really like the film-like quality of the 645D files. Taken this morning with 120mm FA, crop actual pixels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the 645D

Yep, 645D nice camera nice files especially when you use there 120mm FA and A lens.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Folks,

this is a great idea/thread!

I love seeing images form the 645D, as I value this to be a VERY appealing and interesting system, especially at this price tag, compared to all the other offers currently around in MFD.

Keep it going

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Steven is exactly correct. The 645D body is exceptionally good, especially when paired with what is currently its best performing lens for the camera...the FA (and A) 120mm f4 macro. This lens so far in all my testing with many others in the Pentax FA line-up is head and shoulders above all others in resolution across the frame at any disatnce and all f-stops. If Pentax eventually comes up with a series of lenses that can match this one, at prices that are still very reasonable compared to the competiton, they will truly have a relative bargin on their hands. As it stands now, there is much variability in the lens system and my often used phrase to describe it (the lens situation), is that its a crap shoot. The 645D body deserves better than this and this lens alone (the 120mm f4macro) can truly show what the body is capable of.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope to post some images tomorrow from my yosemite trip.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi All,

Steven is exactly correct. The 645D body is exceptionally good, especially when paired with what is currently its best performing lens for the camera...the FA (and A) 120mm f4 macro. This lens so far in all my testing with many others in the Pentax FA line-up is head and shoulders above all others in resolution across the frame at any disatnce and all f-stops. If Pentax eventually comes up with a series of lenses that can match this one, at prices that are still very reasonable compared to the competiton, they will truly have a relative bargin on their hands. As it stands now, there is much variability in the lens system and my often used phrase to describe it (the lens situation), is that its a crap shoot. The 645D body deserves better than this and this lens alone (the 120mm f4macro) can truly show what the body is capable of.

Dave (D&A)
    Is there a Pentax to V adapter that would work on this camera? Some of the existing Zeiss lenses could help out in the meantime. 40IF, 60, 100 and 180 are all up to snuff ... and the 110/2F would be a great portrait lens ... some folks are using the Zeiss 110 on the Leica S2 because of the lens shortage.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Is there a Pentax to V adapter that would work on this camera? Some of the existing Zeiss lenses could help out in the meantime. 40IF, 60, 100 and 180 are all up to snuff ... and the 110/2F would be a great portrait lens ... some folks are using the Zeiss 110 on the Leica S2 because of the lens shortage.

-Marc
    Some folks use the ZEISS 2/110 even on smaller cameras like the LUMIX G1
    Attachment 40758
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

-Marc
    Hi Marc,

Great question/suggestion!

Apparently there are some, such as this one sold at Adorama (link)...

http://www.adorama.com/CZHSPX645.htm...ce=rflaid65093

I'm sure there are other slightly different constructed ones sold under different brands/names, such as those found on Amazon or the web. From early discussions, there may be some limitiations on using some of the wider angle V lenses on the Pentax 645D body, due to lens design and with regards to achieving proper focus at all distances (ie: infinity).

I'm surprised more haven't gone this route (Hassy lenses), although it's not a case of there being a terrible shortage of Pentax FA lenses like shortages "S2" users are faced with (although one has to search for these Pentax FA lenses)...but their wildly variable performance on the 645D...even between different samples of the same lens. The approx 110-120 focal length fortunately is covered by the best performing lens in the Pentax 645 lens line-up (the 120 f4 macro) although it's an f4, not an f2 like the exceptional 110 f2 Hassy lens...but other focal lengths needed that are on par with these two, especially on the wider end. Some of the other Pentax FA lenses are decent, but must used stopped down on average to at least f9-f11 to be suitable for large format prints that would show the MFD advantage over say a Nikon D3x.

Some have resorted to trying out some of the Pentax 67 lenses on the 645D with variable results, depending which lenses was being used. The Pentax 67 55mm is one standout...which I believe ends up being approx. 45mm on the 645D (with 35mm full frame focal length as the point of reference).

If it wasn't so darn expensive to purchase and try the V lenses and they were readily available just to briefly test out, I would purchase an adapter to do so, as I'm sure many other would too. I think its going to take someone who has some V lenses and who also has access to a Pentax 645D body, to address this promising route. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got the V lenses (from the 40 CFE IF on up to the 350 CF) and a V to 645 adapter......now I just need the 645D! :-(

If anyone with a 645D is thinking of a photo trip to Alaska this summer....let me know. We can get together and do some real world testing. :-)

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sounds like a perfect match-up! V lenses, check! Access to 645D body, check! real world testing in Alaska...double, no make that tripple check! OK, it's whats in the middle thats the issue...tranasportation, all associated costs, (available time?) getting from point A to point B...LOL. Great idea though Gary and would love to know such results (testing V lenses on the 645D).

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    I hope to post some images tomorrow from my yosemite trip.
    Where were you able to pu one of these things, seems like they don't exist here in the US? Have a great trip to Yosemite though.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, here are some images from Yosemite this weekend.
    645D, 45-85mm fa, 75mm fa, 120mm A, 150mm FA, and 300mm fa.
    Mostly B&W stuff, but I tossed in a few color images.
    Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Where were you able to pu one of these things, seems like they don't exist here in the US? Have a great trip to Yosemite though.

Rob
    Rob, I got my 645D from Ace Photo in VA.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Rob, I got my 645D from Ace Photo in VA.

Steven
    Cool, and some really nice images you got there! I especially like the b&w conversions on #4 & #6. Very well done.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For some reason (not sure why) I like the B&W images most. Were you lucky enough to get any firefall images?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some excellent images Steve! Overall, are you happy with the quality of the results from the specific 645 lenses you've got now? The images you've posted here look very good....just wondering if you're pleased with the full res images also.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, sounds like a perfect match-up! V lenses, check! Access to 645D body, check! real world testing in Alaska...double, no make that tripple check! OK, it's whats in the middle thats the issue...tranasportation, all associated costs, (available time?) getting from point A to point B...LOL. Great idea though Gary and would love to know such results (testing V lenses on the 645D).
    Dave (D&A)
    I know it's not cheap getting to Alaska and getting around once you are here.....but if anyone with a 645D already has a trip planned (or would like to come here someday), I'm happy to provide some Zeiss V-glass to try out with that 645D. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the FE lenses.....such as the 110/2, which would be a better match for the 645D.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    For some reason (not sure why) I like the B&W images most. Were you lucky enough to get any firefall images?
    Mark, I agree with you B&W is Yosemite in the winter, I was just showing the color from the 645D, but when I go ahead and make some prints they will all be B&W.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Some excellent images Steve! Overall, are you happy with the quality of the results from the specific 645 lenses you've got now? The images you've posted here look very good....just wondering if you're pleased with the full res images also.

Gary
    Thanks Gary,
    Good question, For sure the 120mm is a winner, the 45-85mm FA is also good from 45-65mm shot at F11, the 150mm FA i wish was a little sharper but not bad. The 300mm FA 5.6, I had some problems with, I think it was vibration at slow shutter speed, below 1 second ok, but from 1/8 - 1/30 sec, a lot of my images were blurred. 75mm FA at F11 a winner also.
    The 35mm FA, I also had, but did not post any images. It is not for me. Just not sharp enough. Especially when I compare it to my 28mm Leica on my M9 which I just posted in the Leica forum also, you can compare.

I am going to try the 40mm Hasselblad CFE lens that you have with the adaptor. I have to purchase the adaptor from Adorama, and rent the lens.

Other than that, the Camera worked flawlessly, just the lens situation, i twas cold a few mornings and no problems what so ever which is a good thing.

I was shooting with someone who had the Hasselblad 503CW with there CFV 50mp back, very nice setup but his 45 degree finder kept fogging up. So
    I guess it all depends on a lot of factors. You can Purchase a Hassselblad 39mp FF CFV39 for around 13K new, and if you already have all the V lenses, I think it's a good way to go using there Phocus software that has DAC for most of the newer CFE/CFI lenses which I think is the critical part where Pentax is lacking.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I know it's not cheap getting to Alaska and getting around once you are here.....but if anyone with a 645D already has a trip planned (or would like to come here someday), I'm happy to provide some Zeiss V-glass to try out with that 645D. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the FE lenses.....such as the 110/2, which would be a better match for the 645D.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I was just sort of making a few light hearted commenst about getting to Alaska. I'd love to have the opportunity to take you up on your offer...which sounds like a fabouous place to visit and to also be able to shoot with both you and try out your Hassy lenses. Hopefully that winning lottery ticket will come my way soon. I also hope you also get the chance to try out your lenses on a 645D body. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary,
    Good question, For sure the 120mm is a winner, the 45-85mm FA is also good from 45-65mm shot at F11, the 150mm FA i wish was a little sharper but not bad. The 300mm FA 5.6, I had some problems with, I think it was vibration at slow shutter speed, below 1 second ok, but from 1/8 - 1/30 sec, a lot of my images were blurred. 75mm FA at F11 a winner also.
    The 35mm FA, I also had, but did not post any images. It is not for me. Just not sharp enough. Especially when I compare it to my 28mm Leica on my M9 which I just posted in the Leica forum also, you can compare.

I am going to try the 40mm Hasselblad CFE lens that you have with the adaptor. I have to purchase the adaptor from Adorama, and rent the lens.

Other than that, the Camera worked flawlessly, just the lens situation, i twas cold a few mornings and no problems what so ever which is a good thing.

I was shooting with someone who had the Hasselblad 503CW with there CFV 50mp back, very nice setup but his 45 degree finder kept fogging up. So
    I guess it all depends on a lot of factors. You can Purchase a Hassselblad 39mp FF CFV39 for around 13K new, and if you already have all the V lenses, I think it's a good way to go using there Phocus software that has DAC for most of the newer CFE/CFI lenses which I think is the critical part where Pentax is lacking.

Steven
    Hi Steve

Truly lovely series of images Steven...very nicely done and impressive! Unfortunately I wish the FA 35mm could match a leica 28mm lens, but in reality, there is no way that it can. Most Leica 28mm's are great to superlative in performance. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the FA 35mm does much better at close and especially mid-distances...not at infinity. Mid-distances is where the deges and corners sharpen up to respectable levels. At infinity, they loose resolution, unfortunately. I've noticed this phenominon in quite a few FA 35mm lens samples. So the lens can be good, if one uses it at distances where it emphasizes its strengths.

Sounds like the 645D body really holds up in extreme conditions, which is a factor that soundn't be underestimated. Thanks again for posting these lovely images for all of us to enjoy.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gary,
    I was just sort of making a few light hearted commenst about getting to Alaska. I'd love to have the opportunity to take you up on your offer...which sounds like a fabouous place to visit and to also be able to shoot with both you and try out your Hassy lenses. Hopefully that winning lottery ticket will come my way soon. I also hope you also get the chance to try out your lenses on a 645D body. Thanks!
    Dave (D&A)
    The thought has crossed my mind that I should sell my CFV-16II and save a few extra $$ to buy a 645D myself, but as many here know.....I hate to part with any of my gear, so I'll just have to be patient. Someday, someone with a 645D will travel to Alaska and maybe they will remember this thread and my offer.

Hope I'm still around to see the images this combo of Zeiss glass and the 645D would produce.....I'm guessing it would be pretty good.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Gary,
    The weather sealing etc is one of the things that really interests me in the 645D and would be an improvement over my CFV-16II digital back.

I guess it all depends on a lot of factors.Steven
    Interesting.....I hadn't even thought about the fogging problems with the 45 degree finder. I have a PME45 finder on my 503CWD, but rarely use it when the weather is sub-optimal. I don't want to risk taking the CFV back out in cold and/or wet conditions......which is at least 6-8 months of the year here in Alaska.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steven,

Looking at your images from Yosemite here at home now (on a better monitor), I'm really impressed with these, especially the first two and the last two images. That last image you posted (color, of the valley).....which lens did you use for that shot?

Well done and thanks for sharing these with us!! I hope you'll post these images over on the Pentax MF Forum also.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary,

I used the 45-85mm fa zoom at 45mm f11 on the last valley image.
    I have the same image shot with the 35mm fa and to me not as sharp.

Hopefully I will find out today about renting the hasselblad 40mm CfE and getting the adaptor.

I will keep you posted.

Yes the 645d is probably the best cold weather MFD solution out there especially for the money. I hope to see the files from the hasselblad shooter who was next to me with your setup but the newer 50mp back.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone,

I have a 645D and a V system adaptor - but no V system lenses. I'd love to know how the best ones would perform on the 645D (and how that compares with the 67 glass that I already have). If someone has V system lenses that they would like to test with the 645D, I'd be happy to meet up and arrange for this. I live in Sydney, but also spend quite a bit of time in Melbourne.

Any takers?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Steven,

the images are awesome! I really like them. From what I can tell of the colors and tonality and sharpness I like them much more than the S2 shots posted in the Leica forum about winter mountains.

This camera seems to be a big winner! Maybe you have to wait for the dedicated lenses for the 645D, which will then perform much more flawlessly compared to the older Pentax and other glass. I never was and am a friend of using lenses which are not designed for a specific system, because that in most cases ends up in troubles.

For me the 645D is (will become) a great system, as it is much cheaper compared to all the other stuff, but gives you real MFD quality. But if there will be a 645D2 in a few years with more MP and a newer sensor, you will not loose too much money, which is the great thing.

Not sure about the availability and support of the 645D here in Austria though

Keep going!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Peter,
    Yeah so far, so good, a few hiccups with the lens situation but overall for the money hard to beat, yet I am waiting to see some images that were taken with an older Hassy 503CW with the 50mp back using the newer zees glass, and now that Phocus has DAC for all theses lenses, to me not a bad solution either, I love that retro look of the 503CW.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed,
    I am in the same situation but here in the states. Have the 645D and the V adaptor on order though should have any day. I am really only interested in trying the 40mm CFE IF lens, of course the most expensive zeiss lens I think.

Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a 645D and a V system adaptor - but no V system lenses. I'd love to know how the best ones would perform on the 645D (and how that compares with the 67 glass that I already have). If someone has V system lenses that they would like to test with the 645D, I'd be happy to meet up and arrange for this. I live in Sydney, but also spend quite a bit of time in Melbourne.

Any takers?

Ed
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steven

Steve

You certainly got great light and weather conditions for Yosemite. And you, the photographer took full advantage. Also your B+W processing is great. I especially like the face of El Capitan as it reminds me of the great face of Half Dome by Ansel.

Great work my friend. Hope to see you at another workshop one day.

Also the valley view image reminds me of Ansels "Winter Storm Clearing." Love to see this also in Black and White.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I hope to attend some more workshops soon.
    Keep me posted on any you maybe thinking about

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steven,
    I can only agree with all the others. Those images are awsome.
    I like the vertical one best, and the last one.
    Kind Regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

tried my 180cf and 50ct on the 645d this week-end. they both impressed me.
    harvey

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried a hasselblad 40mm CFE non IF and the results were not good.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steven

holy crap mother$%$%$#, wowowwowowowowowowow!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I am a 74 year old retiree, and need not depend on making a living with my passion (my wife of 52 years, then my photography), I am truly having fun with the 645D. I used the 645, and 645N in my film days, and really like the system. Here is what I have been doing the last several weeks.
    Best regards
    Dave Gurtcheff
    Beach Haven, NJ New Member March 15, 2011
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A rainy day with gray diffused light from the window. A little test to evaluate a few lenses with the same subject: FA150 2,8 67 105 2,4 and FA35 3,5

FA35 @ 3,5

IMGP0614A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

FA150 @ 5,6

IMGP0612A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

FA150 @ 2,8

IMGP0611A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

67 105 @ 2,4

IMGP0585A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Since I am a 74 year old retiree, and need not depend on making a living with my passion (my wife of 52 years, then my photography), I am truly having fun with the 645D. I used the 645, and 645N in my film days, and really like the system. Here is what I have been doing the last several weeks.
    Best regards
    Dave Gurtcheff
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Very nice...my favorite is the one with snow!

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    A rainy day with gray diffused light from the window. A little test to evaluate a few lenses with the same subject: FA150 2,8 67 105 2,4 and FA35 3,5

FA35 @ 3,5

FA150 @ 5,6

FA150 @ 2,8

67 105 @ 2,4

Sergio
    Sergio, love the muted colors with the silver vase, blends very nicely.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Best regards
    Dave Gurtcheff
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave, Welcome! Nice images and I'm partial to the Jersey shore I too really like the one with snow. Nice to see the transition over to the 645D from your earlier work as seen on your website.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

FA35 @ 3,5

FA150 @ 5,6

FA150 @ 2,8

67 105 @ 2,4

Sergio
    Sergio,

Nice comparison of these particular lenses along with a very love shot. The low key look of the image with its delicate tonality, go perfect with the subject matter.

After finially coming across a really good sample of the 150mm f2.8, it's become a lens I look forward to shooting with. Thanks for posting these.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Johnny and Dave.
    A few more with the FA120 macro. Color rendition seems very good and natural

IMGP0641A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0642A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0638A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0636A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0635A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Johnny and Dave.
    A few more with the FA120 macro. Color rendition seems very good and natural

IMGP0641A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0642A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0638A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0636A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0635A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio
    Hi Sergio,

I couldn't agree more. Color rendition with the Pentax FA 120 f4 645 macro is superb and web sized images can't completely illustrate this point as well as prints do. Although there are lots of good FA lenses, the FA 120 macro is the one lens above all others that I would recommend to someone just getting a 645D body...as sample to sample consisitancy is near perfect and it never fails to perform up to the standards that one would hope and expect.

Lovely images Sergio!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dave, really a very fine lens ( but the 150 is way lighter)
    A little portrait with the 120.
    Sergio

IMGP0510A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best regards
    Dave Gurtcheff
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave,
    first and last are my preferred, two contrapposed athmosferes really well rendered.
    Show more!
    Sergio

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave, really a very fine lens ( but the 150 is way lighter)
    A little portrait with the 120.
    Sergio

IMGP0510A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
    Hi Sergio,

I'm looking at your lovely portrait taken with the FA 150 f2.8 on my iPad...Lovely! Skin tones from what I see are spot on. The 150 is much lighter than the 120 macro...so light that I thought maybe the lens was missing a few internal glass elements...LOL! Except for similar focal lengths, each of these two lenses is quite different optically. I like both but for very different reasons.
    Thanks for posting these 645D images.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, just for fun. Use of equipment from three formats: Pentax M 50mm macro (35mm) reverse mounted to Pentax 67 reverse mount, to 67 extension tubes, to 67/645 adapter, to 645D Postage stamp and US penny coin.
    Sergio: love the portrait, what a beautiful little girl.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, amazing detail. If I understand you correctly, you were able to use the smaller image circle after reverse mounting your Pentax 50mm M macro (a 35mm format lens) via adapter rings and using 67 extension tubes? Of course starting with a great macro as the Pentax 50 f4 macro's were, certainly didn't hurt . Nice!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, Welcome! Nice images and I'm partial to the Jersey shore I too really like the one with snow. Nice to see the transition over to the 645D from your earlier work as seen on your website.

Dave (D&A)
    Hi Dave: Thanks for the welcome. The southern NJ shore is a great place to live, especially in the "off season". My wife and I were at the north end of Long Beach Island (Barnegat Light) several days ago in the dune area, and there was no one around for miles. Here are two that I have developed so far, made with the 645D and 45~85, and 120 MF Macro.
    Best to all
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Do your RAW DNG files all look sort of "dull" before post? Mine do and I try to expose to the right, and bracket. After post, all is fine, but I usually must resort to splitting sky and forground on to their own layers, then applying levels to each separately, again with own layers. I will try to upload a RAW file converted to small JPG, with no post. Then I will upload the final result, the way I remember it (albeit I added the surfers). Appreciate any comments from you guys. I appreciate your time in helping a 74 yr old amateur.
    Thanks Dave G
    www.modernpictorials.com
    PS: The images on the back of the camera when I play them back, all look great, as I remember them. Someone told me that if I used the Pentax software, it would recognize in camera settings, and apply during RAW conversion.