The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

tsjanik

Inspired by the images in Jono's Fun with the Pentax K-5 thread, I thought to start one for the 645D. Very pleased with the camera. Until I got the 645D, I was primarily a film shooter and I really like the film-like quality of the 645D files. Taken this morning with 120mm FA, crop actual pixels.

kuau

Workshop Member
Yep, 645D nice camera nice files especially when you use there 120mm FA and A lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

this is a great idea/thread!

I love seeing images form the 645D, as I value this to be a VERY appealing and interesting system, especially at this price tag, compared to all the other offers currently around in MFD.

Keep it going ;)

D&A

Hi All,

Steven is exactly correct. The 645D body is exceptionally good, especially when paired with what is currently its best performing lens for the camera...the FA (and A) 120mm f4 macro. This lens so far in all my testing with many others in the Pentax FA line-up is head and shoulders above all others in resolution across the frame at any disatnce and all f-stops. If Pentax eventually comes up with a series of lenses that can match this one, at prices that are still very reasonable compared to the competiton, they will truly have a relative bargin on their hands. As it stands now, there is much variability in the lens system and my often used phrase to describe it (the lens situation), is that its a crap shoot. The 645D body deserves better than this and this lens alone (the 120mm f4macro) can truly show what the body is capable of.

Dave (D&A)

fotografz

Hi All,

Steven is exactly correct. The 645D body is exceptionally good, especially when paired with what is currently its best performing lens for the camera...the FA (and A) 120mm f4 macro. This lens so far in all my testing with many others in the Pentax FA line-up is head and shoulders above all others in resolution across the frame at any disatnce and all f-stops. If Pentax eventually comes up with a series of lenses that can match this one, at prices that are still very reasonable compared to the competiton, they will truly have a relative bargin on their hands. As it stands now, there is much variability in the lens system and my often used phrase to describe it (the lens situation), is that its a crap shoot. The 645D body deserves better than this and this lens alone (the 120mm f4macro) can truly show what the body is capable of.

Dave (D&A)
Is there a Pentax to V adapter that would work on this camera? Some of the existing Zeiss lenses could help out in the meantime. 40IF, 60, 100 and 180 are all up to snuff ... and the 110/2F would be a great portrait lens ... some folks are using the Zeiss 110 on the Leica S2 because of the lens shortage.

-Marc

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Is there a Pentax to V adapter that would work on this camera? Some of the existing Zeiss lenses could help out in the meantime. 40IF, 60, 100 and 180 are all up to snuff ... and the 110/2F would be a great portrait lens ... some folks are using the Zeiss 110 on the Leica S2 because of the lens shortage.

-Marc
Some folks use the ZEISS 2/110 even on smaller cameras like the LUMIX G1 :ROTFL:
View attachment 40758

D&A

-Marc
Hi Marc,

Great question/suggestion!

Apparently there are some, such as this one sold at Adorama (link)...

http://www.adorama.com/CZHSPX645.ht...ate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid65093

I'm sure there are other slightly different constructed ones sold under different brands/names, such as those found on Amazon or the web. From early discussions, there may be some limitiations on using some of the wider angle V lenses on the Pentax 645D body, due to lens design and with regards to achieving proper focus at all distances (ie: infinity).

I'm surprised more haven't gone this route (Hassy lenses), although it's not a case of there being a terrible shortage of Pentax FA lenses like shortages "S2" users are faced with (although one has to search for these Pentax FA lenses)...but their wildly variable performance on the 645D...even between different samples of the same lens. The approx 110-120 focal length fortunately is covered by the best performing lens in the Pentax 645 lens line-up (the 120 f4 macro) although it's an f4, not an f2 like the exceptional 110 f2 Hassy lens...but other focal lengths needed that are on par with these two, especially on the wider end. Some of the other Pentax FA lenses are decent, but must used stopped down on average to at least f9-f11 to be suitable for large format prints that would show the MFD advantage over say a Nikon D3x.

Some have resorted to trying out some of the Pentax 67 lenses on the 645D with variable results, depending which lenses was being used. The Pentax 67 55mm is one standout...which I believe ends up being approx. 45mm on the 645D (with 35mm full frame focal length as the point of reference).

If it wasn't so darn expensive to purchase and try the V lenses and they were readily available just to briefly test out, I would purchase an adapter to do so, as I'm sure many other would too. I think its going to take someone who has some V lenses and who also has access to a Pentax 645D body, to address this promising route. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

I've got the V lenses (from the 40 CFE IF on up to the 350 CF) and a V to 645 adapter......now I just need the 645D! :-(

If anyone with a 645D is thinking of a photo trip to Alaska this summer....let me know. We can get together and do some real world testing. :)

Gary

D&A

Wow, sounds like a perfect match-up! V lenses, check! Access to 645D body, check! real world testing in Alaska...double, no make that tripple check! OK, it's whats in the middle thats the issue...tranasportation, all associated costs, (available time?) getting from point A to point B...LOL. Great idea though Gary and would love to know such results (testing V lenses on the 645D).

Dave (D&A)

kuau

Workshop Member
OK, here are some images from Yosemite this weekend.
645D, 45-85mm fa, 75mm fa, 120mm A, 150mm FA, and 300mm fa.
Mostly B&W stuff, but I tossed in a few color images.
Steven

bensonga

Some excellent images Steve! Overall, are you happy with the quality of the results from the specific 645 lenses you've got now? The images you've posted here look very good....just wondering if you're pleased with the full res images also.

Gary

bensonga

Wow, sounds like a perfect match-up! V lenses, check! Access to 645D body, check! real world testing in Alaska...double, no make that tripple check! OK, it's whats in the middle thats the issue...tranasportation, all associated costs, (available time?) getting from point A to point B...LOL. Great idea though Gary and would love to know such results (testing V lenses on the 645D).
Dave (D&A)
I know it's not cheap getting to Alaska and getting around once you are here.....but if anyone with a 645D already has a trip planned (or would like to come here someday), I'm happy to provide some Zeiss V-glass to try out with that 645D. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the FE lenses.....such as the 110/2, which would be a better match for the 645D.

Gary

kuau

Workshop Member
For some reason (not sure why) I like the B&W images most. Were you lucky enough to get any firefall images?
Mark, I agree with you B&W is Yosemite in the winter, I was just showing the color from the 645D, but when I go ahead and make some prints they will all be B&W.

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Some excellent images Steve! Overall, are you happy with the quality of the results from the specific 645 lenses you've got now? The images you've posted here look very good....just wondering if you're pleased with the full res images also.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
Good question, For sure the 120mm is a winner, the 45-85mm FA is also good from 45-65mm shot at F11, the 150mm FA i wish was a little sharper but not bad. The 300mm FA 5.6, I had some problems with, I think it was vibration at slow shutter speed, below 1 second ok, but from 1/8 - 1/30 sec, a lot of my images were blurred. 75mm FA at F11 a winner also.
The 35mm FA, I also had, but did not post any images. It is not for me. Just not sharp enough. Especially when I compare it to my 28mm Leica on my M9 which I just posted in the Leica forum also, you can compare.

I am going to try the 40mm Hasselblad CFE lens that you have with the adaptor. I have to purchase the adaptor from Adorama, and rent the lens.

Other than that, the Camera worked flawlessly, just the lens situation, i twas cold a few mornings and no problems what so ever which is a good thing.

I was shooting with someone who had the Hasselblad 503CW with there CFV 50mp back, very nice setup but his 45 degree finder kept fogging up. So
I guess it all depends on a lot of factors. You can Purchase a Hassselblad 39mp FF CFV39 for around 13K new, and if you already have all the V lenses, I think it's a good way to go using there Phocus software that has DAC for most of the newer CFE/CFI lenses which I think is the critical part where Pentax is lacking.

Steven

D&A

I know it's not cheap getting to Alaska and getting around once you are here.....but if anyone with a 645D already has a trip planned (or would like to come here someday), I'm happy to provide some Zeiss V-glass to try out with that 645D. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the FE lenses.....such as the 110/2, which would be a better match for the 645D.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I was just sort of making a few light hearted commenst about getting to Alaska. I'd love to have the opportunity to take you up on your offer...which sounds like a fabouous place to visit and to also be able to shoot with both you and try out your Hassy lenses. Hopefully that winning lottery ticket will come my way soon. I also hope you also get the chance to try out your lenses on a 645D body. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)