The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(k-5) Some SF St. Patrick day shots

raist3d

Took these this weekend.

A note coming from 4/3rds-

- I think to me it's still easier to get colors using Olympus software/pipeline, but I am noticing a lot of that is processing the raw right. For now I am shooting RAW on the pentad, may switch to JPEG for some shots using the slide film simulation amongst the toy camera/grainy / cross processing.
- the pancakes have sometimes some noticeable chromatic aberrations, even in cases where they are "stopped down" - talking about F5.6/F8 here. It depends on how harsh the light is it seems.
- I am beginning to conclude this maybe be a result of the pancakes- which are nice but small and that takes a toll somewhere. The brief moment I checked the DA * 16-50 I don't recall being prone to CA's but I have to use it outside.
- Firmware 1.03 improved AF accuracy for daylight shots also
- Noticeable increase in DR over what I am used with 4/3rds. I could recover almost every single blown highlight, something I can't say of 4/3rds. Also the shadows are rich with deep blacks, lots of latitude if I have to bring them up.

I still think 4/3rds has it better if you can nail the exposure (if the subject allows) at low ISO for a faster workflow to get the colors right out of the bat, but the K-5 is proving to me to be far better for low light and shots that require DR.

- Raist

jonoslack

Very nice Ricardo
I especially like the 'Canon Can' shot.
I think you make the point about dynamic range. It's actually something to get used to, as shots with less can look 'snappier' straight out of the camera.

Pleased to hear about the firmware update - I haven't been able to apply mine yet (out of the country without the camera), so it'll have to wait until next week for testing.

all the best

scho

Looks great Ricardo. Held the highlights and shadows together nicely in that contrasty lighting.

P

photogerald

- the pancakes have sometimes some noticeable chromatic aberrations, even in cases where they are "stopped down" - talking about F5.6/F8 here. It depends on how harsh the light is it seems.
- I am beginning to conclude this maybe be a result of the pancakes- which are nice but small and that takes a toll somewhere. The brief moment I checked the DA * 16-50 I don't recall being prone to CA's but I have to use it outside.
I would tend to agree with this assessment. The pancakes were designed to be small, and this resulted in some compromises (minor?) in IQ and speed.

- Firmware 1.03 improved AF accuracy for daylight shots also
Interesting. That's good to hear.

I really like the colours and clarity in that first shot. By the way, which lens did you use there?

raist3d

I would tend to agree with this assessment. The pancakes were designed to be small, and this resulted in some compromises (minor?) in IQ and speed.

Interesting. That's good to hear.

I really like the colours and clarity in that first shot. By the way, which lens did you use there?
Have only da 21mm and da 70mm. I read elsewhere the CA's are not as pronounced with other models so it could be a specific sensor interaction

Last edited:
P

photogerald

Have only da 21mm and da 70mm. I rea elsewhere the cas are not as pronounced with other models so it could be a specific sensor interaction
I have heard that PF is a bit worse on the K-5 compared to the K20D/K-7, but better than it was on the K10D. I have not heard anything regarding lateral and longitudinal CA, but I would think that these would be less affected by the sensor.