The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Multitasking

scho

If you like to use MF lenses on the m43 platform, the Pentax K limited series perform very well using a Fotodiox adapter with aperture adjustment ring. I still have and enjoy using my IR modified Lumix G1 and the little limiteds work very well with this adapter. I posted a couple of IR images using the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited on the G1-IR with the Fotodiox adapter over in the IR Images thread. The G1-IR has no AA filter.

Lumix G1 (IR) with Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Limited + Fotodiox adapter

Armanius

What's an IR modified camera? I've heard of that, but have no idea what it does. Could you please explain? Thanks!

scho

What's an IR modified camera? I've heard of that, but have no idea what it does. Could you please explain? Thanks!
Armanius,

An IR modified camera has had the internal IR cut/AA filter package in front of the sensor removed and replaced with an IR pass filter (usually about 715nm) which blocks most visible light, but transmits near IR wavelengths. You can find several threads in the m43 forum and the IR images thread I linked above that provide more detail and example images.

Armanius

Thanks Carl. So it looks like that IR cameras provide an image with different colors as the rest of the light is blocked off? And without the AA filter, you get sharper images? I'm trying to understand the benefits of IR photography.

Thanks!

scho

Thanks Carl. So it looks like that IR cameras provide an image with different colors as the rest of the light is blocked off? And without the AA filter, you get sharper images? I'm trying to understand the benefits of IR photography.

Thanks!
Right, colors are false (see several example images in the IR images thread) and can be remapped and monochrome images have a compressed tonal scale. Healthy, green vegetation strongly reflects near infrared and appears bright white in landscape images. Cloud contrast is enhanced in skies - blue skies are deep black. Infrared effectively penetrates haze. Blue eyes are black, dark brown eyes light gray. Some portraits can be ghoulish in appearance because of the eye color shifts and pale, transparent skin which makes veins very apparent. Just browse through the IR images thread and you'll quickly see these and other effects. The lack of an AA filter increases fine detail resolution as well.