Site Sponsors

Thread: K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable- Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable- Amazing.

These are two snaps (not photographs!) I took last week. I have applied zero noise reduction converted the cat in Aperture, the night shot snap using Mac OS/X "preview" which as we know doesn't do as good of a job as Aperture.

No topaz, no tricks no nothing else. I must say these shots are quite usable in color, and even more so in black and white. Even some of the splotch noise of the cat is actually real data as the cat black fur does reflect light with a bit of a color shimmer (it's both- its mixed in).

Both shots close to 1.7 megapixels- not the usual 800x600 and 1024x768 class resolutions.

DA 70 pancake, at F2.4 1/15th, ISO 25600 (that's how low light this was and fluorescent light at that).

DA 21 pancake, at F13, 1/30th of a sec, ISO 25600. What surprises me the most about this shot is how many tones and DR there still are at this super high ISO.

If you want to compare vs the usual posted about other cameras here's the same shots just resized down to the 1024x768 mark:

- Raist
    Last edited by raist3d; 2nd April 2011 at 18:31. Reason: edited title to convey amazement :-), typo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable

Update: for the first shots you will have to open in a new window by themselves, looks like the forums resizes them down a bit.

Pretty impressive I must say. No banding at all, still rich enough in DR and enough detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable- Amazing.

F13 on the street shot?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: K-5 ISO 25600 snap test - completely usable- Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    F13 on the street shot?
    Yup. If I was normally shooting the street landscape, I would try say F5.6-F11 (on Pentax). Keep things sharp. F13 doesn't necessarily hurt but it was more testing the ISO. The cat shot though is completely straightforward as-found situation... F2.4, 1/15th.

- Raist