Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    So lots of threads recently about the relative positives and negatives of the 15 mm DA lens, which was going to by my target lens. Now, I am not so sure...I'd like to keep it in the family (Pentax if possible) and I am happy to go either manual or automatic.

    Here are some that I am considering
    1. 15 DA
    2. 14 f/2.8 DA
    3. DA 12-24
    4, 17 mm f/4 fisheye
    5. 15 mm f/3.5 (A mount or K mount)

    Truth be told, at the moment, I am leaning towards options 1 or 2, but I need some more consensus opinion. I am essentially looking to cover 24-25 mm focal length (effective 35 mm), which makes these lenses the closest options. If there are great non Pentaxian lenses out there, especially smaller primes, I am all ears!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    From the results I've seen I like the 14/2.8 the best of Pentax's WA lenses but Jonoslack's 10-20/3.5 Sigma has me interested in it too as an alternative once I purchase my K5.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    So lots of threads recently about the relative positives and negatives of the 15 mm DA lens, which was going to by my target lens. Now, I am not so sure...I'd like to keep it in the family (Pentax if possible) and I am happy to go either manual or automatic.

    Here are some that I am considering
    1. 15 DA
    2. 14 f/2.8 DA
    3. DA 12-24
    4, 17 mm f/4 fisheye
    5. 15 mm f/3.5 (A mount or K mount)

    Truth be told, at the moment, I am leaning towards options 1 or 2, but I need some more consensus opinion. I am essentially looking to cover 24-25 mm focal length (effective 35 mm), which makes these lenses the closest options. If there are great non Pentaxian lenses out there, especially smaller primes, I am all ears!
    I used the DA14/2.8 extensively ... it was the reason I bought a Pentax DSLR in the first place. The 12-24 wasn't available at that time. It's a very good lens.

  4. #4
    Member shadzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    I used to have a Sigma A-24mm F/2.8 macro II manual lens which was FANTASTIC. It was one of those lenses I should have never sold. The lens is very small, focuses closely, and is VERY sharp... with beautiful rendering. (it works with all the body automatons, except it is not an AF lens). Sigma also had an AF version of the lens, which I did not find appealing. Their newer lenses in that focal length are faster, and MUCH bigger.

    About your list;
    - For landscape work; Pentax 12-24/4 hands down
    - For everyday / street work; Pentax DA 15/4
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    THans, Sam, Godfrey, and Hired...

    I think I'd likely use the 14/15 for more everyday work, but I do enjoy landscapes and shoot weddings on occasion that require wider shots. All said and told,. I think I may lean towards the 12-24 as an option, despite its size.

    If I can find a sigma 24 macro-A, I'll try to obtain that!

    Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  6. #6
    Member Armanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    So what is the beef against the DA15? The Photozone test wasn't very impressive, but is it really that bad?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    So what is the beef against the DA15? The Photozone test wasn't very impressive, but is it really that bad?
    The different test results and user experiences seem to vary from one extreme to the other. Don't know if there's that much variability in individual lenses.

  8. #8
    Member shadzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    Here is one with DA 15...



    and more images here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadzee...54473845/show/
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

  9. #9
    Member Armanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    Quote Originally Posted by shadzee View Post
    Here is one with DA 15...

    and more images here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadzee...54473845/show/
    The photo looked pretty good! I am tempted to get a DA15.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

  10. #10
    Member Armanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Gear question alert- What's your favorite Ultra-Wide Lens for the K5

    Ok, I broke down and ordered a DA15. Hope mine works out well. BH has them back in stock for about $100 less than Amazon.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •