Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K5 versus the GH2

Post Thanks / Like

K5 versus the GH2

Following in the steps of Jono's K5 vs M9 comparison, I thought I'd share an informal comparison of K5 and GH2.

The size comparison is a bit unfair since the Leica is a 1:1 macro.

I purposely chose a high DR scene, but this is not a rigorously controlled comparison. I used manual exposure to try to get a similar exposure with both cameras at base ISO. K-5 had 70/2.4 mounted, and GH2 had 45/2.8 mounted. I tried for similar framing but still ended up framing the GH2 shot a bit wider than the K-5. Both were at f/7.1 (GH2 lens a bit more affected by diffraction at this f-stop). I did use a tripod, self-timer, and kept image stabilization off. Both files were processed from RAW in Lightroom 3 with default settings.

Resized images, Pentax first:

Full-res conversions, Pentax first:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/...d3b3e6ef_o.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/...1d28aacc_o.jpg
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: K5 versus the GH2

Thanks Amin. So what do you think? Looks like a little more detail in the K5 shadows, maybe. I agree that 7.1 on the small sensor is pushing the limits. It seems to me that 3.5 -5.6 are where I have the best image quality on M43.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, f/7.1 wasn't a good idea for the GH2.

For me, Micro 4/3 is more than enough image quality. I pretty much got the K-5 to have something new to shoot with.

As for this particular comparison, I'm not sure how much I can conclude. The K-5 DR is greater, but we already knew that. The GH2 file seems more sharpened, and the PL45 lens seems more consistent across the frame (though benefiting from more DOF) with less longitudinal CA (one of the things I really like about this lens).

Working with the two camera-lens combinations has been interesting. I don't like that the focus ring spins on the Pentax during autofocus, that the lens extends during focus (none of my Panasonic primes do this), or the grinding sound of the lens focusing. AF is dead on accurate with both camera-lens combinations. The K-5 shutter release is a beautiful thing compared to the clack of the GH2. Both cameras feel good to me in the hand. The build of the K-5 and lens seems nicer, more refined, but I prefer the lighter weight of the GH2.

The K-5 OVF seems dark and tunnel-like compared to the GH2 EVF, but obviously there are advantages to an OVF. The K-5 OVF is surprisingly good for manual focus. Overall, I very much prefer the GH2 VF though.

If I had to choose between them at this early juncture, it would be a no-brainer for me in favor of the GH2 (based on kit size, weight, preference for EVF, preference for available lenses, AF system, etc). I admit to bias as someone who runs a Micro 4/3 site. That said, I think the K-5 will be a keeper for me.

Traditional first shot with my wife sporting the "Another new camera?" pose:

Last edited by Amin; 6th April 2011 at 07:58.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another size comparison. This time I put the 14/2.5 on the GH2. I think the 70/2.4 is similar in size to the 21/3.2, which would be the closest match in the Pentax lineup for the Pana 14/2.5, so this is more of an apples to apples size comparison. Sorry for the poor quality images here:

The 14/2.5 is really tiny. As you can see, the filter and lens cap make up ~ 1/3 of the thickness.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is a very gentle smile for the "another new camera pose"....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks goodness for that .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    That is a very gentle smile for the "another new camera pose"....
    Me thinks so also LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting comparison. From memory I thought the GH2 would actually be smaller than it seems in the comparison However I do remember the G series being much lighter. At one point I also had an E3 and the files as reasonable ISOs were great (and the 12-60 was just a fantastic lens). The GH2 is obviously much more advanced

Both photos look great at the resolution you posted them at and when downloading the files.

I suspect that the K5 will handle more difficult challenges better (low light - an ability to push further) and the GH2 has that undeniable weight advantage.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Amin

I don't know why but looking at the full size images I think I prefer the K5, somehow seems 'fuller' but I don't know how to express it.

I am enjoying this forum very much but do wonder if I come away more confused than ever. Leica and Canon users enjoying Pentax, though *of course* the former (i.e. Leica) will have the ultimate edge. Micro 4/3 user(s) also enjoying Pentax, though they are also satisfied with their Panasonic IQ.

Hmn. I have the K5. I also have the G1. I *still* wonder about getting a GH2. For me, at the moment, the K5 is better, not just in IQ but also general handling, than the G1. I love the top LCD on the K5, amongst other things (just one example). I actually think the K5 OVF is *better* than the G1 EVF, but then before the K5 I quite liked the G1's EVF.

Hmn, maybe it depends on the 'day of the week'? I would be interested in knowing how much 'better' you think the IQ for stills and the EVF generally are in the GH2 compared to the G1 ... (I am not interested in video, not really).

Size wise, well, the K5 is heavier than the G1 (and GH2) certainly but then it feels reassuringly solid ...

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice comparison Amin! Now I don't have to do one!

IMO, no photos make justice of the size difference between the K-5 and GH2. You really have to hold one in the hand, and then switch over to really feel the difference.

Drum rolls ... I ended up keeping the K-5. But I returned the first three lenses I got -- the DA21, FA43 and 100 WR Macro.

Just placed an order for the FA35/2, which BH apparently has in stock, even though it's discontinued.

Still debating whether or not to keep the Sigma 17-50, but probably not. Tamron 17-50 (at least the copy I got) is definitely going back.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Armanius

You *returned* the FA 43 (shock, horror)???

Why?

I also have the DA21 on my list too.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to see how much people like their GH2s. I'm a Pentax user (K20D & K-x, probably soon a K-5) but also owned a GH2 for some weeks earlier this year. I bought it out of a whim with the idea of concentrating on video. Well, it turned out I felt no love for this little camera. Video quality was good, but the usability lacked compared to a proper video camera. The camera menus and interface felt very confusing and complex. I bought it with the 14-140mm slow zoom lens and in the dark winter season just could not get proper non-shaking pictures in the house. Of course, a faster lens would've helped. The build quality felt close to my K-x and was nowhere near a K-5 IMO. The camera is a bit smaller than my K-x, but there's not really a big difference.

Sorry if this sounds like raining on your parade, but in my highly subjective and personal view, the GH2 isn't even close to the same league as the K-5 in most ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lee-

The primary purpose for the FA43 was for low light and indoor photography (primarily people photos). The IQ is very nice. But I found it to be a little long for indoor usage.

The DA21 on the other hand, I thought it was too slow for indoor/low light usage. However, it too has nice IQ. I was very impressed with its daylight performance, even for portraits. It's a lens that I may re-get in the future.

I ended up getting the FA35/2.0, which BH strangely has in stock. Photozone gave it very good ratings, it's wider than the FA43, almost as fast as the FA43, and much much cheaper than the FA31/1.8. The FA35 should be about a 52mm in EFL, and I do like the 50mm focal length.

I returned the 100 WR, because the dentist drill bit sound was beginning to annoy me whenever it couldn't lock AF. They need to stick a SDM motor on it and focus limiter.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Traditional first shot with my wife sporting the "Another new camera?" pose

She's seems very happy for you. You are indeed a fortunate man.

I'm happy with my Panasonic gear on one end and my Canon (5DII and 40D) on the other. I figure if I can't put my Leica lenses on it, I might as well go big.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    I would be interested in knowing how much 'better' you think the IQ for stills and the EVF generally are in the GH2 compared to the G1 ... (I am not interested in video, not really).
    Lee, I hardly shoot any video. I bought the GH2 for stills. I'd say it is about 40% way between the G1 and the K5 in terms of overall sensor image quality. Of course the lenses and software correction are a big part of the equation, and operation differences are another still.
    -------

EDIT: After shooting some more, I think I may need to revise my estimate above and say 25% rather than 40%. The K5 sensor is pretty remarkable. That said, the GH2 sensor is plenty good for my needs...
    Last edited by Amin; 7th April 2011 at 10:17.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both and I really enjoy both. I sold all of my Canon Gear (5D MKII & L glass) and replaced it with the K5. The diminutive size of the K5 and the quality of the primes is all I need in a DSLR.

The GH2 is another animal altogether. Holding the GH2 after holding the K5 I almost feel like I am holding some sort of plastic toy camera.... but the GH2 is not a toy.. it is very capable. It's just that the build of the GH2 can not complete with that of the K5.

IQ of both the GH2 and the K5 is excellent and I look forward to using both for the foreseeable future.

Which would I choose if I could have only one camera? For a number of reasons it would be the K5.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool beans, we do have a good group of GH2 and K5 owners. Feeling the love!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Cool beans, we do have a good group of GH2 and K5 owners. Feeling the love!
    I think a lot of people bought a K-5 while waiting for their GH2 order to get filled .
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

For me, Micro 4/3 is more than enough image quality. I pretty much got the K-5 to have something new to shoot with.
    Wow, let me know when you get sick of your K-5 and you need something new to shoot with. I could use a back up :-)

- Raist

(in jest, it's your cash :-) ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    It's interesting to see how much people like their GH2s.

Sorry if this sounds like raining on your parade, but in my highly subjective and personal view, the GH2 isn't even close to the same league as the K-5 in most ways.
    Oh how I disagree.....

I own the GH2 and my K-5 arrived today. I knew before I bought it, that I would like the K-5....and I do. It just feels right.

That being said, I feel the GH2 is a wonderful camera.....a joy to use. Primarily the difference for me is the ability to use adapted lenses and the have the articulating /magnifying EVF for precise focus. I can mount lenses that have no rivals....if need be, hold the camera at waist level and cradle it while I take the shot.

I'll never get out of the m4/3 format....it's just too much fun.

What I do see (and only after one day) is that the K-5 will replace my FF + APS-C Canon's.

R

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting with Pentax (film and digital) for ever !

Just before the 5DII came out, I sold most of my Pentax gear to go with Canon. I sold all my limited lenses and kept only the irreplaceable (A-50/1.2 & A*200/4 macro). Even sold my FA*80-200/2.8 which is close to irreplaceable as they come. Just kept the K20D and LX for the lenses.

But, I could not pull the trigger. Canons are just too big ;-)

So I bought the GF1 and a GH1. I LOVE the GF1/20mm kit. I take it every where, and I've made many wonderful images with it. I sold the GH1 after the GH2 was announced, and since it had a virgin firmware and could be hacked, I sold it for way more what it was worth.

But the IQ is just not there, compared to my K20D. And, I love to have a good OVF.

Now I'm torn between the GH2 (which seems to have better IQ), K-5 and X100. I'm struggling to choose between;

- GF1/GH2 kit (7-14,20,45,14-140)
    - GF1/K-5 with 3 lens kit (15,35,77)
    - 5DI / X100 kit (would have to part with my irreplaceables)

At this moment I prefer the GH2 over K-5, but I've yet to see the X100 in person. So I wait... ;-(

My favorite camera in use is the Pentax LX with the 50/1.2 lens. I LOVE the big finder, and the mechanical controls (hence waiting for the X100).

This thread is very intriguing for me, and interesting to see how people compare the K-5 & GH2. Most of you have not used the Pentax for long. I have bad news for you; Once you get used to the interface, and understand how the camera works, you would never go back to Canon and Nikon. Pentax DSLRs are truly developed for photographers, and after a while you'd wonder why the other brands operate the way they do ;-)

References: Pentax LX & Pentax A-50mm F/1.2
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by shadzee View Post
    - GF1/GH2 kit (7-14,20,45,14-140)
    - GF1/K-5 with 3 lens kit (15,35,77)
    - 5DI / X100 kit (would have to part with my irreplaceables)
    erm . . . Canon 5DI? or do you mean K-5 with X100?

I spent a happy hour with an X100 last week - it was a gorgeous thing, but I found it rather fiddly - seemed to me that one really didn't need that number of different options.

Quote Originally Posted by shadzee View Post

This thread is very intriguing for me, and interesting to see how people compare the K-5 & GH2. Most of you have not used the Pentax for long. I have bad news for you; Once you get used to the interface, and understand how the camera works, you would never go back to Canon and Nikon. Pentax DSLRs are truly developed for photographers, and after a while you'd wonder why the other brands operate the way they do ;-)
    As well as Leica (really my main system) I've been shooting Sony with the A900 (since it came out in autumn 2008 and the A55 - but I had always wanted a small, solid, weathersealed camera since I'd parted with my Olympus E1, and the Pentax fits the bill perfectly, so I got one.

I had a K7 for a month last summer (I sent it back because I didn't think the IQ was up to the lovely body), and I've had a K5 since October - I agree with you about the interface, it's splendid (actually, the old Minolta interface with the Sony is quite good too).

I did have a G1 for a while, but couldn't love it (probably because it felt like a plastic toy, which shouldn't matter, but did).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: K5 versus the GH2

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Oh how I disagree.....

I own the GH2 and my K-5 arrived today. I knew before I bought it, that I would like the K-5....and I do. It just feels right.

That being said, I feel the GH2 is a wonderful camera.....a joy to use. Primarily the difference for me is the ability to use adapted lenses and the have the articulating /magnifying EVF for precise focus. I can mount lenses that have no rivals....if need be, hold the camera at waist level and cradle it while I take the shot.

I'll never get out of the m4/3 format....it's just too much fun.

What I do see (and only after one day) is that the K-5 will replace my FF + APS-C Canon's.

R
    Rich, I guess it's already happened Glad to hear that you are enjoying the K5! Looks like the "Cannons" will need a new home soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markwon View Post
    Rich, I guess it's already happened Glad to hear that you are enjoying the K5! Looks like the "Cannons" will need a new home soon.
    Yes....I'll be taking pics this weekend of various lenses/bodies to put up for sale.

I was bummed to read about your back-focusing issue with the FA77. Hope you resolve it successfully.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes....I'll be taking pics this weekend of various lenses/bodies to put up for sale.

I was bummed to read about your back-focusing issue with the FA77. Hope you resolve it successfully.

R
    Rich, I still need to test the lens in a more controlled setting but here are my preliminary observations:

1. On a tripod with AF set to spot, the focus is accurate 5/5 times. With SR off.

2. Handheld, when locking focus on a small object or small part of an object, the AF seems slightly off. This can also just be user error. I'm still not at home with the bulky body, coming from the GH2/GF1

3. I've also realized that I'm not used to so much CA in images, coming from my ASPH Leica lenses and CA controlled via software, Panny bodies and lenses. Sometimes the heavy fringing and CA makes the AF seem off.

I get the impression that I was jumping the gun on this. Partially because my Sigma 17-50 DID backfocus. With the 77 it seems to be a combination of user error due to unfamilarity with the camera, heavy CA from the lens, and an occassional AF error (which is understandable to a certain extent).

In conclusion, unless I find something very strange in the next week or so, I'll just keep the lens. BTW--all this is using the K5 fine focus adjust settings set to OFF.

I would still recommend the lens. It draws beautifully!

Post Thanks / Like

I am all the more pleased with the K-5 AF because I was expecting problems, having to use microadjustments, etc. The thing is just bang on perfect with my one lens (DA70). It's rather shockingly able to pin the AF on an eye hiding behind glasses in a way that I've never been able to do with any other camera-lens combo. My previous best combo for this was D700 and AF 85/1.4, but the Pentax is more consistently able to do it.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am all the more pleased with the K-5 AF because I was expecting problems, having to use microadjustments, etc. The thing is just bang on perfect with my one lens (DA70). It's rather shockingly able to pin the AF on an eye hiding behind glasses in a way that I've never been able to do with any other camera-lens combo. My previous best combo for this was D700 and AF 85/1.4, but the Pentax is more consistently able to do it.
    Great Amin - I've found the focusing to be great as well . . . as long as you understand that the actual area is larger than the spot (but you had to understand that with the D700 too!)

I've reset my camera to no adjustments, and it's working just fine.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was messing around with a Tamron 17-50 yesterday night, and like the Sigma 17-50, the thing was front focusing at low tungsten light. I then did the firmware 1.03 upgrade, and it was better. But it still required a -10 adjustment to get the Tamron compliant.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this thread is a really interesting read. The thing I really liked when reading this thread is seeing how everyone has their individual needs and how their camera choice reflects this. No matter what choice everyones made I still think they're both very fine cameras - my personal opinion is that we've gotten to the point in technology where all new DSLR's have great IQ, its just picking the feature set or handling which suits you.

I used to have the G1, then d7000, and now finally the K5. The G1 was perfect except lowlight performance. The D7000 had the IQ but I just didn't like the look of the photos from it (had a weird yellow hue) and the grip imo was really uncomfortable. The k5 overcame my dislikes of the d7000, gave me weatherproofing and access to a range of small primes with high IQ. My favourite thing about the K5 is the ergonomics, it fits my hand perfectly and good button/menu access.

However what I really miss is the tilt/swivel screen and the light weight of my old g1. I'll definately return to m4/3 one day and I'm waiting for the rumored "pro" olympus or panny's to come out, the panny 25mm 1.4 and a fast zoom, until then I'm with pentax. Tho my brother has m4/3 gear i can 'borrow'

Finally, I'm glad this hasn't turned into Pentax v Panny flame wars, which would have happened else where - gotta love the atmoshpere here

(where's the grouphug smiley when you need it?)
    Last edited by vincechu; 7th April 2011 at 12:53. Reason: spelling correctoin
    Vince

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Wow this thread is a really interesting read. The thing I really liked when reading this thread is seeing how everyone has their individual needs and how their camera choice reflects this. No matter what choice everyones made I still think they're both very fine cameras - my personal opinion is that we've gotten to the point in technology where all new DSLR's have great IQ, its just picking the feature set or handling which suits you.

I used to have the G1, then d7000, and now finally the K5. The G1 was perfect except lowlight performance. The D7000 had the IQ but I just didn't like the look of the photos from it (had a weird yellow hue) and the grip imo was really uncomfortable. The k5 overcame my dislikes of the d7000, gave me weatherproofing and access to a range of small primes with high IQ. My favourite thing about the K5 is the ergonomics, it fits my hand perfectly and good button/menu access.

However what I really miss is the tilt/swivel screen and the light weight of my old g1. I'll definately return to m4/3 one day and I'm waiting for the rumored "pro" olympus or panny's to come out, the panny 25mm 1.4 and a fast zoom, until then I'm with pentax. Tho my brother has m4/3 gear i can 'borrow'

Finally, I'm glad this hasn't turned into Pentax v Panny flame wars, which would have happened else where - gotta love the atmoshpere here

(where's the grouphug smiley when you need it?)
    It helps when so many people own or have owned both. Most people understand a camera is a tool and preferences are 100% subjective.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    I was messing around with a Tamron 17-50 yesterday night, and like the Sigma 17-50, the thing was front focusing at low tungsten light. I then did the firmware 1.03 upgrade, and it was better. But it still required a -10 adjustment to get the Tamron compliant.
    Armando, I read over at PF that the new firmware 1.03, has mixed results. For some it fixes completely, whilst for some it improves things.

I was just lucky that my k5 has no AF issues (though my 31ltd needs +3 correction, which was a bit disappointing)

I guess this is one reason why m4/3 is better in one aspect, live view CDAF doesn't have any BF/FF issues (i think?)
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    It helps when so many people own or have owned both. Most people understand a camera is a tool and preferences are 100% subjective.
    +1 perfectly said, especially the second part
    Vince

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Vince
    my personal opinion is that we've gotten to the point in technology where all new DSLR's have great IQ, its just picking the feature set or handling which suits you.
    I couldn't agree more.

I used to have the G1, then d7000, and now finally the K5. The G1 was perfect except lowlight performance. The D7000 had the IQ but I just didn't like the look of the photos from it (had a weird yellow hue)
    Really? - still? - Peter said that was all sorted now, but it was why I sold my D3 / D700 and all those lenses and moved into Sony 2.5 years ago!

Great isn't it - well, most of the time

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this is one reason why m4/3 is better in one aspect, live view CDAF doesn't have any BF/FF issues (i think?)
    Yes, that's correct Vince. Live View on the K-5 should likewise have no such issues with BF/FF.

The other thing about having a live view CDAF system is that focus shift is a non-issue. Leaving some uncorrected spherical aberration can make bokeh more pleasing but causes focus shift with PDAF systems. Not so with CDAF .
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, that's correct Vince. Live View on the K-5 should likewise have no such issues with BF/FF.
    Quite right - it's really good on the K5, but it's important to change it to CDAF, as it defaults to phase and clatters around with the mirror. It's a pity that it's not tilt/swivel, but you can't have everything.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Armando, I read over at PF that the new firmware 1.03, has mixed results. For some it fixes completely, whilst for some it improves things.

I was just lucky that my k5 has no AF issues (though my 31ltd needs +3 correction, which was a bit disappointing)

At this point, I don't think problems that I'm seeing are K-5 related. Rather, it's lens related.

For example, the Sigma 17-50 was front focusing on some testing under low tungsten light. On the same test, the FA100 WR was not. After I did upgraded to 1.03, the FA100 was still not front focusing, and the Sigma was still front focusing. Changed to about -5 on the K-5, and it solved the problem.

Then I did the same test (post 1.03 only) on the Tamron 17-50. It needed a -10 to fix the focus.

All tests on phase detect OVF auto focus.

If I use CDAF in live view, focus was always spot on.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Amin just a note on your GH2 comparison- I do find the K-5 does have significant more DR than the GH2 but you need the subject to show this or play with the RAW. The shot you shot, the GH2 can also do.

Note: I am not saying the GH2 is bad. For the sensor size it has, it's very competitive and the best micro or 4/3rds sensor out there right now by a notable margin.

- Raist

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting thread. I have stayed away from the K-5, partly because of the distributor in this country, but there will be a new one soon, so I was thinking about it for a while. Then I went upcountry with the GH1 and the D300, only to find that I preferred the EVF of the Panasonic to the OVF of the Nikon. If somebody had suggested that a year or so ago, I would probably have had him shot

The sensor of the K-5 is better than the one on the GH2, but on the other hand, the GH2 sensor is much better than the D300 sensor which was SOTA for crop cameras, more or less, only 3-4 years ago (even the E-5 runs circles around the D300, except probably for DR).

So for me, the K-5 is the never ending temptation, but the next camera for me is the GH2 plus 100-300 and 14-35/2.0 (SHG 4/3 lens). Then, I can sell my Nikon gear and see if I miss the OVF enough to buy a K-5. But I don't think so. I even suspect that I would prefer the K-5 to have an EVF

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Interesting thread. I have stayed away from the K-5, partly because of the distributor in this country, but there will be a new one soon, so I was thinking about it for a while. Then I went upcountry with the GH1 and the D300, only to find that I preferred the EVF of the Panasonic to the OVF of the Nikon. If somebody had suggested that a year or so ago, I would probably have had him shot

The sensor of the K-5 is better than the one on the GH2, but on the other hand, the GH2 sensor is much better than the D300 sensor which was SOTA for crop cameras, more or less, only 3-4 years ago (even the E-5 runs circles around the D300, except probably for DR).

So for me, the K-5 is the never ending temptation, but the next camera for me is the GH2 plus 100-300 and 14-35/2.0 (SHG 4/3 lens). Then, I can sell my Nikon gear and see if I miss the OVF enough to buy a K-5. But I don't think so. I even suspect that I would prefer the K-5 to have an EVF
    Maybe the Sony A55 is for you then.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Maybe the Sony A55 is for you then.
    Hmmm... now you start to sound like Jono

Tried it, but like the ergonomics of the GH2 better, and the really good lenses for A-mount are big and made for full frame (no Zeiss 16-50mm f/2.x).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I even suspect that I would prefer the K-5 to have an EVF
    Hehe.....me too. And how would you mount that beautiful CZ85/1.4 you shoot? The K-5 doesn't play as well with adapted lenses.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hehe.....me too. And how would you mount that beautiful CZ85/1.4 you shoot? The K-5 doesn't play as well with adapted lenses.

R
    The CZ85/1.4 (Sony A mount one) is simply awesome. Used it one time while I still had the A55. Perhaps the best AF lens I've ever used in terms of IQ. And it's not a big hunking piece of glass either. It's relatively compact. Wish they'd make one in K mount.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... now you start to sound like Jono

Tried it, but like the ergonomics of the GH2 better, and the really good lenses for A-mount are big and made for full frame (no Zeiss 16-50mm f/2.x).
    LOL. Sorry. I only mentioned it because it has a similar sensor to the K5, EVF, and those Zeiss FF lenses are really good but on the large side.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

OK,
    dont have the GH2 but an EP2 and my wife has a GH1 which I have used here and then.

IMO it comes down to the following points:
    1) size/weight: Of coure the GH2 is lighter and slightler smaller BUT does this really make any difference? You need a bag for both and both are not heavy enough that I would see a big difference. Eventuall when you go in the tele range the m4/3 would be quite a bit smaller/lighter with a long tele zoom
    2) EVF vs OVF with all its advantages and disadvantages (Personally I prefer OVF but find the K5 one could be a little brighter)
    If you shoot video too I see big advantage in an EVF
    3) lenses - while Pentax offers some very nice lenses I find it impressive how good for the price the m4/3 zooms are. Both companies lack modern fast lenses IMO, but with a m4/3 its even harder to have lenses whcih allow shallow DOF. (As long as you dont want to use manual 3rd party lenses)
    4)user interface. For me big thing. The K5 feels much better in my hand and I prefer build but more important the user interface.
    For me the GH1 has too many buttons and too any menues and options.
    5) IQ I havent compared - my overall impression is: m4/3 very sharp images, maybe even sharper than the K5 images (maybe due to more reliable AF) - K5 images, if they are right look deeper to me and very film like.
    Without technical analyses I think I prefer K5 images.

But really I find it comes mostly down to user interface and lens options.

By the way when using cameras like K5 (or even better d700) size I can feel most buttons, I can do many adjustments without looking at the camera and searching because my fingers are allready there.
    The GH1 I have to look at the camera all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Amin just a note on your GH2 comparison- I do find the K-5 does have significant more DR than the GH2 but you need the subject to show this or play with the RAW. The shot you shot, the GH2 can also do.
    I find the same and agree that this isn't the best shot for showing it.

I feel the same way, Jorgen. There are some things I like better about the OVF, but on balance I prefer the EVF. Shocking, isn't it?
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

Just wondering how much better you think the GH2 EVF is compared to the one in the original G1? I find my G1 EVF often looking washed out in bright light and the K5 OVF is much more accurate in displaying what is there.

I always thought the main benefit of EVF was that it was much more WYSIWYG but I'm not sure this is the case on my G1; maybe it is better in less than full glare sunlit conditions - which we are lucky to have here at the moment!

Lee (still thinking of getting a GH2 just to see for myself, LOL!)

Post Thanks / Like

I think the GH2 EVF is very little different than the G1 EVF. I've heard of others having the same difficulty you describe but haven't experienced it for myself.

Today was my son's 8th birthday party, and he had a laser tag party. Here was the prep room (GH2 ISO 3200):

The actual room where the kids were playing laser tag was extremely dark. My K-5 with DA70 struggled (understatement) to achieve focus lock. My dad couldn't lock focus with his Canon 5D II and 24-70/2.8L either. Meanwhile, my GH2 and 14/2.5 was locking focus briskly with no troubles.

I couldn't get any useful pictures with either of the cameras because I was limited by the K-5 AF and the GH2 high ISO performance. Here's a GH2 ISO 25,600-equivalent shot taken at 14mm f/2.5 1/20s.

In retrospect I should have switched to manual focus on the K-5. Still probably couldn't have done much in that darkness.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

There is something about the feel of the G1 and I assume also GH2 that is really nice and I am on the verge of ordering a GH2 but every time I go back and compare my K5 pictures to my G1 pictures I think why oh why?

This one is ISO 1000. Why? Not sure, incompetence probably. I mean who needs f/16 at 1/320th? This was with 43mm Ltd

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love laser tag!!! So fun. And a good workout too!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a K5; won't get one but used one for a little and was very impressed. I think they did a fine job and if you like the system and what it offers I think you could get into it and have no regrets.

As for size, the GH2 (and G1) bodies are not much smaller, but definitely lighter. As soon as you add lenses, the advantages mount for the Panny system unless you stick to the nice primes for Pentax.

I have most of the Panny lenses, and they are very consistently good, with very even performance. I also have Canon, and compared the performance of the cropped sensor Canon (T2i and 7D) with the 100-400 zoom to the GH2 and the 100-300. At the very highest ISO's the Canon wins, but at lower ISO's the GH2 combo is actually preferable as the performance of the 100-300 is so much more consistent and even than that of the 100-400. And, while both setups have about the same reach, the GH2 and 100-300 setup is tiny in comparison. With the 7D, which has speed advantages over the T2i and GH2, the size difference is even more pronounced. With the 5DII the size comparison would of course be ridiculous, as a 600mm lens would have to be attached which I don't have and don't ever want to have to carry. The 5DII is actually used mostly with the 17 and 24 TSE lenses up to the 70-200/2.8, but they too are huge.

So, the 5DII is used mostly for work stuff and very low light with fast primes, the cropped Canons for faster action and longer reach with Canon glass and the Pannys for travel and fun when I need SLR style versatility beyond my M's. In fact I often carry the M9 and some Summiluxes and the GH2 with long, very wide and macro lenses.

The K5 would clearly be able to replace the cropped Canons and if I didn't also need the FF cameras and specialized lenses, it would be worthwhile considering.

Finally, while I can clearly see qualitative differences between the files of all the cameras and can easily rank them based on specific criteria, the actual image quality of each of them is almost always perfectly sufficient. I can make completely satisfactory 11x14's from any of them, and often larger. The camera I pick up is based more on the handling and suitability than anything else.

For my own use that is usually the M9 or GH2.

Henning