The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 versus the GH2

Amin

Following in the steps of Jono's K5 vs M9 comparison, I thought I'd share an informal comparison of K5 and GH2.

The size comparison is a bit unfair since the Leica is a 1:1 macro.

I purposely chose a high DR scene, but this is not a rigorously controlled comparison. I used manual exposure to try to get a similar exposure with both cameras at base ISO. K-5 had 70/2.4 mounted, and GH2 had 45/2.8 mounted. I tried for similar framing but still ended up framing the GH2 shot a bit wider than the K-5. Both were at f/7.1 (GH2 lens a bit more affected by diffraction at this f-stop). I did use a tripod, self-timer, and kept image stabilization off. Both files were processed from RAW in Lightroom 3 with default settings.

Resized images, Pentax first:

Full-res conversions, Pentax first:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5594762503_7fd3b3e6ef_o.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/5594761873_a21d28aacc_o.jpg

clay stewart

Thanks Amin. So what do you think? Looks like a little more detail in the K5 shadows, maybe. I agree that 7.1 on the small sensor is pushing the limits. It seems to me that 3.5 -5.6 are where I have the best image quality on M43.

Amin

I agree, f/7.1 wasn't a good idea for the GH2.

For me, Micro 4/3 is more than enough image quality. I pretty much got the K-5 to have something new to shoot with.

As for this particular comparison, I'm not sure how much I can conclude. The K-5 DR is greater, but we already knew that. The GH2 file seems more sharpened, and the PL45 lens seems more consistent across the frame (though benefiting from more DOF) with less longitudinal CA (one of the things I really like about this lens).

Working with the two camera-lens combinations has been interesting. I don't like that the focus ring spins on the Pentax during autofocus, that the lens extends during focus (none of my Panasonic primes do this), or the grinding sound of the lens focusing. AF is dead on accurate with both camera-lens combinations. The K-5 shutter release is a beautiful thing compared to the clack of the GH2. Both cameras feel good to me in the hand. The build of the K-5 and lens seems nicer, more refined, but I prefer the lighter weight of the GH2.

The K-5 OVF seems dark and tunnel-like compared to the GH2 EVF, but obviously there are advantages to an OVF. The K-5 OVF is surprisingly good for manual focus. Overall, I very much prefer the GH2 VF though.

If I had to choose between them at this early juncture, it would be a no-brainer for me in favor of the GH2 (based on kit size, weight, preference for EVF, preference for available lenses, AF system, etc). I admit to bias as someone who runs a Micro 4/3 site. That said, I think the K-5 will be a keeper for me.

Traditional first shot with my wife sporting the "Another new camera?" pose:

Last edited:

Amin

Here's another size comparison. This time I put the 14/2.5 on the GH2. I think the 70/2.4 is similar in size to the 21/3.2, which would be the closest match in the Pentax lineup for the Pana 14/2.5, so this is more of an apples to apples size comparison. Sorry for the poor quality images here:

The 14/2.5 is really tiny. As you can see, the filter and lens cap make up ~ 1/3 of the thickness.

JMaher

Interesting comparison. From memory I thought the GH2 would actually be smaller than it seems in the comparison However I do remember the G series being much lighter. At one point I also had an E3 and the files as reasonable ISOs were great (and the 12-60 was just a fantastic lens). The GH2 is obviously much more advanced

Both photos look great at the resolution you posted them at and when downloading the files.

I suspect that the K5 will handle more difficult challenges better (low light - an ability to push further) and the GH2 has that undeniable weight advantage.

Jim

Sapphie

Amin

I don't know why but looking at the full size images I think I prefer the K5, somehow seems 'fuller' but I don't know how to express it.

I am enjoying this forum very much but do wonder if I come away more confused than ever. Leica and Canon users enjoying Pentax, though *of course* the former (i.e. Leica) will have the ultimate edge. Micro 4/3 user(s) also enjoying Pentax, though they are also satisfied with their Panasonic IQ.

Hmn. I have the K5. I also have the G1. I *still* wonder about getting a GH2. For me, at the moment, the K5 is better, not just in IQ but also general handling, than the G1. I love the top LCD on the K5, amongst other things (just one example). I actually think the K5 OVF is *better* than the G1 EVF, but then before the K5 I quite liked the G1's EVF.

Hmn, maybe it depends on the 'day of the week'? I would be interested in knowing how much 'better' you think the IQ for stills and the EVF generally are in the GH2 compared to the G1 ... (I am not interested in video, not really).

Size wise, well, the K5 is heavier than the G1 (and GH2) certainly but then it feels reassuringly solid ...

Lee

Armanius

Nice comparison Amin! Now I don't have to do one! :)

IMO, no photos make justice of the size difference between the K-5 and GH2. You really have to hold one in the hand, and then switch over to really feel the difference.

Drum rolls ... I ended up keeping the K-5. But I returned the first three lenses I got -- the DA21, FA43 and 100 WR Macro.

Just placed an order for the FA35/2, which BH apparently has in stock, even though it's discontinued.

Still debating whether or not to keep the Sigma 17-50, but probably not. Tamron 17-50 (at least the copy I got) is definitely going back.

emr

It's interesting to see how much people like their GH2s. I'm a Pentax user (K20D & K-x, probably soon a K-5) but also owned a GH2 for some weeks earlier this year. I bought it out of a whim with the idea of concentrating on video. Well, it turned out I felt no love for this little camera. Video quality was good, but the usability lacked compared to a proper video camera. The camera menus and interface felt very confusing and complex. I bought it with the 14-140mm slow zoom lens and in the dark winter season just could not get proper non-shaking pictures in the house. Of course, a faster lens would've helped. The build quality felt close to my K-x and was nowhere near a K-5 IMO. The camera is a bit smaller than my K-x, but there's not really a big difference.

Sorry if this sounds like raining on your parade, but in my highly subjective and personal view, the GH2 isn't even close to the same league as the K-5 in most ways.

Armanius

Hi Lee-

The primary purpose for the FA43 was for low light and indoor photography (primarily people photos). The IQ is very nice. But I found it to be a little long for indoor usage.

The DA21 on the other hand, I thought it was too slow for indoor/low light usage. However, it too has nice IQ. I was very impressed with its daylight performance, even for portraits. It's a lens that I may re-get in the future.

I ended up getting the FA35/2.0, which BH strangely has in stock. Photozone gave it very good ratings, it's wider than the FA43, almost as fast as the FA43, and much much cheaper than the FA31/1.8. The FA35 should be about a 52mm in EFL, and I do like the 50mm focal length.

I returned the 100 WR, because the dentist drill bit sound was beginning to annoy me whenever it couldn't lock AF. They need to stick a SDM motor on it and focus limiter.

RonSmith

Traditional first shot with my wife sporting the "Another new camera?" pose

She's seems very happy for you. You are indeed a fortunate man.

I'm happy with my Panasonic gear on one end and my Canon (5DII and 40D) on the other. I figure if I can't put my Leica lenses on it, I might as well go big.

Amin

I would be interested in knowing how much 'better' you think the IQ for stills and the EVF generally are in the GH2 compared to the G1 ... (I am not interested in video, not really).
Lee, I hardly shoot any video. I bought the GH2 for stills. I'd say it is about 40% way between the G1 and the K5 in terms of overall sensor image quality. Of course the lenses and software correction are a big part of the equation, and operation differences are another still.
-------

EDIT: After shooting some more, I think I may need to revise my estimate above and say 25% rather than 40%. The K5 sensor is pretty remarkable. That said, the GH2 sensor is plenty good for my needs...

Last edited:
I have both and I really enjoy both. I sold all of my Canon Gear (5D MKII & L glass) and replaced it with the K5. The diminutive size of the K5 and the quality of the primes is all I need in a DSLR.

The GH2 is another animal altogether. Holding the GH2 after holding the K5 I almost feel like I am holding some sort of plastic toy camera.... but the GH2 is not a toy.. it is very capable. It's just that the build of the GH2 can not complete with that of the K5.

IQ of both the GH2 and the K5 is excellent and I look forward to using both for the foreseeable future.

Which would I choose if I could have only one camera? For a number of reasons it would be the K5.

raist3d

For me, Micro 4/3 is more than enough image quality. I pretty much got the K-5 to have something new to shoot with.
Wow, let me know when you get sick of your K-5 and you need something new to shoot with. I could use a back up :)

- Raist

(in jest, it's your cash :) ).

Rich M

It's interesting to see how much people like their GH2s.

Sorry if this sounds like raining on your parade, but in my highly subjective and personal view, the GH2 isn't even close to the same league as the K-5 in most ways.
Oh how I disagree.....:D

I own the GH2 and my K-5 arrived today. I knew before I bought it, that I would like the K-5....and I do. It just feels right.

That being said, I feel the GH2 is a wonderful camera.....a joy to use. Primarily the difference for me is the ability to use adapted lenses and the have the articulating /magnifying EVF for precise focus. I can mount lenses that have no rivals....if need be, hold the camera at waist level and cradle it while I take the shot.

I'll never get out of the m4/3 format....it's just too much fun.

What I do see (and only after one day) is that the K-5 will replace my FF + APS-C Canon's.

R