Site Sponsors

Thread: The Pentax 16-50 DA*

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Pentax 16-50 DA*

HI There

Well, after having a couple of decentred versions of this lens in the autumn and sent them back, I thought . . . . third time (or fourth, not certain) lucky, and bought another one. This morning before work I finally got down to the task of properly checking all focal lengths at all apertures.

Bingo! It's good - sharp, not bad even at the corners wide open - hooray! So when I took the dog out for a walk this afternoon after work, I took it, and resolved to relax and enjoy it.

After half an hour it stopped focusing . . . . Now it just makes a little noise and you know it's all over, sometimes if you reattach it then it'll focus again for a moment or two . . . sometimes it won't.

Oh well, back to warehousexpress when I get home at the weekend.

damn already!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Pentax 16-50 DA*

That was a roller coaster of a post. I was so happy for you, and then...

At least you now have proof that it is possible to have a good copy.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post

Yes Amin, but is it possible to be bothered to get a good one!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

If you manage to get one and later decide to sell your Pentax kit, please let me know .
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

That exercise with the 16-50 sounds worse than playing the Sigma lottery.
    Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    That exercise with the 16-50 sounds worse than playing the Sigma lottery.
    Joe
    HI Joe
    Do you know, I've never had to send a Sigma lens back, I've mostly had wide angles, but they've always been fine. I've had problems with Nikon before, and Leica lenses which needed adjusting, and I'm not sure I've ever had a good Tamron lens, but never a problem with Sigma - go figure!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Joe
    Do you know, I've never had to send a Sigma lens back, I've mostly had wide angles, but they've always been fine. I've had problems with Nikon before, and Leica lenses which needed adjusting, and I'm not sure I've ever had a good Tamron lens, but never a problem with Sigma - go figure!
    You live in a contrarian universe, Jono. Are you sure you're not made of anti-matter? ;-)

Sorry to hear of yet another 16-50 failure. I personally never liked that lens much, when I had it, and preferred to use the 21/3.2 and 43/1.9 Limiteds instead. For wide, I used the DA14.

Post Thanks / Like

The notorious SDM motor that Pentax uses is one Achilles' heel of theirs. Even if one realizes that the web content greatly boosts the problems, it's still not acceptable. For that reason I've refused to buy one single SDM lens until they publicly address the problem or give a longer warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As great of a camera the K-5, what's up with all these QC related problems with Pentax stuff? The "star" line is supposed to be the high end stuff right?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I only know of two people now, who never had a problem with the Sigma len's
    I have no love for the Tamron as well, as i never had any luck.
    With the Sony stuff, no problems. All has been fine although there is user reported problems, such as with Nikon and Canon as well.
    I am of the mindset that you pays your money, and takes your chances. Good thing for return polices.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ironically, prior to the K-5, I never ever pixel peeped in order to determine if my camera (or lens) was front focusing, back focusing, or whatever off focusing. The much publicized K-5 issues has made me more paranoid about it.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Ironically, prior to the K-5, I never ever pixel peeped in order to determine if my camera (or lens) was front focusing, back focusing, or whatever off focusing. The much publicized K-5 issues has made me more paranoid about it.
    Hi Armanius
    Don't take any notice of me. I always check things, and they're usually wrong. It might be some kind of disease, but as Godfrey pointed out I seem to have a sigma blind spot.
    However. I'm not paranoid about it. Once I've checked it and decided it's okay, then I stop and enjoy. To be honest, the sensor stain on my first K5 was only sent back in case I wanted to sell it later. But a lens which doesn't focus is tricky to put up with!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that I've decided to keep the K-5, I'll probably relax about any "problems."
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Now that I've decided to keep the K-5, I'll probably relax about any "problems."
    I think that's the right approach. I really like all my other lenses, the bodies seem to work properly too. It just seems that the 18-135 might be a better bet than the 16-50!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    You live in a contrarian universe, Jono. Are you sure you're not made of anti-matter? ;-)
    I really try hard to be made of anti matter, the truth is that a combination of the fifties and giving up smoking seems to have sent my body a real matter message. Maybe enough dough lenses will allow me to stay slim?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sorry to hear that Jono. I just picked up a used copy of the 16-50, from a fairly trustworthy seller, who went through several copies before his current one. The only thing is the SDM. I'm wondering if I should try the DIY SDM fix floating around online should it fail. It's frustrating since the other options aren't much better for a fast zoom. Tried the Sigma 17-50, and it was front focusing heavily and quite soft at 50.

The question is, will you be trying another copy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aargh, all these stories of front focusing, back focusing, decentering, stain, blah blah blah ... no matter what brand irritates me. I understand that "things" are not perfect. But we are all paying so much for these gadgets. One would hope that they ought to work w/o having to return, exchange, and repair stuff even when they are brand new.

Sorry ... ranting.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post

You just described how I felt reading that :-) Yeah, this makes no sense and it's honestly unacceptable if it happens that frequent.

- Raist

PS: On the other hand Jono I think that all your luck mana was spent on having the Sigma being trouble free and it just jinxed your Pentax acquisitions :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    You just described how I felt reading that :-) Yeah, this makes no sense and it's honestly unacceptable if it happens that frequent.

- Raist

PS: On the other hand Jono I think that all your luck mana was spent on having the Sigma being trouble free and it just jinxed your Pentax acquisitions :-)
    Hi Ricardo
    It's probably just me - I bought an Audi A5 Cab a year ago (5000 miles, ex dem, 6 months old) , and so many things went wrong with it they gave me a 'no brainer' deal on a new one this month (after 30,000 in the old one) - it's done 900 miles so far, the telephone isn't working right and there's something wrong with the gear box (you gotta otherwise you'd or even )

I could go on, bu

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just buy something else, Jono. Why waste all the time and energy spending money on stuff that doesn't work right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I think it was just an Audi.

I purchased an S4 convertible 3 years ago and traded it after 3 weeks. The backup warning system only lightly sounded in the trunk and not at all at the drivers seat, the seats were different (much worse) then the S4 sedan I had tried, the mileage was ridiculously low. I traded it on a BMW convertible that drives beautifully and causes me no trouble.

Sorry for the off topic reply but I couldn't help myself.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'd just buy something else, Jono. Why waste all the time and energy spending money on stuff that doesn't work right?
    Ah Godfrey - of course you're right, but can you suggest what I should buy? When I have to send back Nikon lenses . . . . but never Sigma, and I have to send back Audi cars . . . but never Saab - I could go on.

Of course, one could simply buy nothing! (what a novel idea)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Jono,

I think it was just an Audi.

I purchased an S4 convertible 3 years ago and traded it after 3 weeks. The backup warning system only lightly sounded in the trunk and not at all at the drivers seat, the seats were different (much worse) then the S4 sedan I had tried, the mileage was ridiculously low. I traded it on a BMW convertible that drives beautifully and causes me no trouble.

Sorry for the off topic reply but I couldn't help myself.

Jim
    Hi Jim
    Well actually, fundamentally, I really like the Audi, and the dealership have been wonderful (cases of wine and cheques as well as the no brainer exchange).
    As for the BMW - rear wheel drive on our country lanes in the winter is a no brain job (i.e. you would be mad) - added to which that coupe-convertibles (including the 3 series) have no trunk space (can't afford a 6 series). The A5 is just the right size, the fuel consumption is great (I know about the S4 - a friend had one ), the seats are fab. It would just be good if it worked properly!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I badly want the new A7 in a year or two but the phrase "Audi electrical problems" scares me when spending that kind of money. I hear the models that originate as Audi's aren't back but the Volkswagon underpinned designs (A4/A6) can be a nightmare IF you get a bad one. May just go for a BMW M3 or 5 Series before they neuter them when the time comes... Unless I have to worry about family space. :/
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Our roads are different and rear wheel drive is fine. I have a 335 with the hardtop roof. It's not that the trunk space is small, it's virtually non-existent. Luckily there is usually only one or two of us and the backseat serves as the place to put things.

I don't have anything against Audi in general - just the one that I owned.
    Jim

**** Trying to get back on topic - you have basically talked me out of a 16-50. I just sent back my 43 (wasn't finding it as sharp as everyone else - maybe my copy). I love the 18-135 but a one lens system doesn't make sense. I'd like something faster and something wider.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Our roads are different and rear wheel drive is fine. I have a 335 with the hardtop roof. It's not that the trunk space is small, it's virtually non-existent. Luckily there is usually only one or two of us and the backseat serves as the place to put things.
    Different here I guess . . in a way it's our principal car (Emma has a mini convertible, a horse box and a 20 year old Saab turbo convertible classic). So the boot space matters, and ragtops are just much better from that point of view (it's huge in the A5). Added to which, UK tax means that I either have a sensible engine (2 litre TFSI) as a company car, or a big engine and pay for it out of my own funds!

**** Trying to get back on topic - you have basically talked me out of a 16-50. I just sent back my 43 (wasn't finding it as sharp as everyone else - maybe my copy). I love the 18-135 but a one lens system doesn't make sense. I'd like something faster and something wider.
    My current 16-50 proves that it can be good . . . . . . . can be!

I also like and have the 35 f2.8 macro the 60/250 and the 10/20 Sigma zoom - although I understand the general tendency towards the limited primes, that's what my M9 is for.

but like you, I love the 18-135 - it keeps banging out fine shots, and it's so small and neat.

all the best

Just this guy you know