The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 on the Kansas Prairie - I'm in love.

I had to travel back to Kansas from Texas to help move an elderly family member into assisted living. It was a busy four days but I found time one afternoon to drive out on the Kansas Prairie for the "golden hours".. I only wish there had been a few more clouds in the sky but overall these two shots totally validate my purchase of both the K5 and the lens.

The two photos below were taken with the K5 and the 18-135mm, ISO 200 and I believe somewhere between f5.6 and f8 at 1/125.

I continue to believe that the K5 and the 18-135mm are quite a perfect match when you only want to walk around with one lens.

Forgive the size of these two but looking at smaller versions just wasn't the same. Hope you enjoy these.

JMaher

Great shots - I particularly like the quality of the light in the first one. I couldn't agree more about the 18-135, just a great walk about lens.

Jim

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I had to travel back to Kansas from Texas to help move an elderly family member...Hope you enjoy these.

Jim,

Year was 1978 (9?) I was a senior medical student doing my externship with a doctor in Manhattan, Kansas. He had previously purchased a property called the Old Dewey Ranch....10,000 acres. Dad loaned him the downpayment. Got it for a song. Story is that Dewey was a Chicago "businessman" from the 20's who would go to Kansas when he needed to hide out for a while until things cooled off. My preceptor ended up trading it to the Nature Conservancy as they used it for the Kansas TallGrass Prairie Conserve....

We drove over that land one evening....nothing since has given me the sense of space nor grandeur.

Love your captures .... reminds me of a great evening. What a wonderful space.

Bob

ashwinrao1

Jim,
These are insanely good. Some of your best, and my all time favs from you, and that's a huge compliment to these shots, knowing your talents! Sundown is an standard bearer, a cover to a book, poetic, all of the above...you name it...stunning!

Jim,

Year was 1978 (9?) I was a senior medical student doing my externship with a doctor in Manhattan, Kansas. He had previously purchased a property called the Old Dewey Ranch....10,000 acres. Dad loaned him the downpayment. Got it for a song. Story is that Dewey was a Chicago "businessman" from the 20's who would go to Kansas when he needed to hide out for a while until things cooled off. My preceptor ended up trading it to the Nature Conservancy as they used it for the Kansas TallGrass Prairie Conserve....

We drove over that land one evening....nothing since has given me the sense of space nor grandeur.

Love your captures .... reminds me of a great evening. What a wonderful space.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the kind words. Being on some of those back roads in the prarie is a wonderful experience.. the quiet and solitude is a beautiful thing to experience.

Thanks for the story about that property.. I'm sure the Kansas Prairie made a wonderful place to lay low for a while.

Jim,
These are insanely good. Some of your best, and my all time favs from you, and that's a huge compliment to these shots, knowing your talents! Sundown is an standard bearer, a cover to a book, poetic, all of the above...you name it...stunning!
Ashwin, thanks so much for the praise. I was fortunate to be there when the sun was going down. I've shot that old farm before but not during the golden hours.. the light makes all the difference.

scho

Jim,

Beautiful warm light and great compositions. The 18-135 is indeed a great companion to the K5.

woodyspedden

Roy, the book is one of those projects that never seems to get started but one day I do hope to put it together with the best from all of my cameras.
Hey Jim

You are the only guy I know who has both the X100 and the K5. I just received my K5 and have a backordered X100. I am wondering if these are redundant as the K5 sensor seems really good and if you want a really small package (granted not quite as small as the X100) you can pair it with the 43 pancake.

Just want the benefit of your experience to see if you plan to keep both bodies or whether you will sell off one or the other

Thanks

Woody

Hey Jim

You are the only guy I know who has both the X100 and the K5. Thanks

Woody
Woody, I do not have the X100. I was tempted to preorder but did not do so mainly because the x100 is a fixed focal length camera. It looks great but the lack of interchangeable lenses is somewhat of a deal breaker for me.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was fortunate to be there when the sun was going down. I've shot that old farm before but not during the golden hours.. the light makes all the difference.
I remember the Kansas Prairie Christmas and D-Lux 4 shot...I ended up buying the D-Lux 4 after seeing that shot. So far I am resisting the K5. Too many boxes already.

You are right, evening gold adds a lot:

http://boxedlight.com/dlux4/kansas18.htm

Bob

I remember the Kansas Prairie Christmas and D-Lux 4 shot...I ended up buying the D-Lux 4 after seeing that shot. So far I am resisting the K5. Too many boxes already.

You are right, evening gold adds a lot:

http://boxedlight.com/dlux4/kansas18.htm

Bob
There's always room for just one more box... :)

by the way, here is a link to Google Maps for the location of that old farm. If you zoom in you can see the buildings and the prairie around it and if you go to street view you can swing around and actually see the buildings from street level.

Click here for the drop pin link on Google Maps.