The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sunny morning in Devon, UK

Sapphie

A few shots taken about 8am yesterday with 18-135:

There is a customer review of the K5 on amazon.com that contains the following quote:

Next, color gradient linearity. A partly subjective criteria, not an easy item to quantify, but not too hard for a professional photographer to see. This is the quality of a color image which makes it as lifelike and genuine-looking in the shadows and highlights as in the midranges. A face is a good choice, especially a baby's face - a fair skinned baby should have subtle colorations in the midranges perceivable because their skin is so thin it is nearly transparent. The shadows should look like skin in shadow, not various types of dirty brown, and the highlights should look like brightly illuminated skin not just brightly-colored areas. Being able to set the K-5 with 14-bit linearity may be the key to its terrific color gradient linearity. The K-5 has a wonderfully realistic treatment of living things, and subtle colors which extend from bright to dark look authentic in a way which the eye can see but which are hard to describe - to put a phrase on it, the beauty of the image is deep. The genuineness of the color gradients give a realistic sense of depth which stay in the image even after you have blown it up and put it on your wall. Again, this is hard to quantify, but you won't see this much in the Panasonic GH-2. Or even the Canon Rebel 550D. Pentax has gotten this just so right. I've seen Nikon D7000 shots with similar qualities, but I'd have to still give the K-5 the advantage here. To me, this is one of the deciding features of the K-5, and it has nothing to do with all the technical tests at which it has excelled.

I think this explains why I keep coming back to the K5, though I did get some great GH2 shots today as well, LOL!!

Lee

D

DRabbit

Beautiful shots... I particularly like the last one with the mist. 18-135 is on my wishlist for a weather-sealed solution, and when I see shots like yours (and Jim's), I don't feel bad about making that choice :)

Great stuff...

Sapphie

Amy

Thanks for your kind comments. Actually, I know it looks like it but it wasn't mist, well not water vapour anyway. Farmers were crop-spraying ...

Lee

benroy

Subscriber Member
It doesn't matter what the mist was, Lee, it made for a lovely image...beautiful stuff.

Roy Benson