The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The problem I think I'll have with my K5

DavidL

Which arrived today, is lenses. I put a 50-135f2.8 on it, I got a used one yesterday in anticipation, and snapped around. The quality of the images was impressive at both ends and in the middle. So impressive that when I put on a 16-45 f4, which is selling new for £234 in the UK, It seemed a little poor in comparison. It wasn't really, and for the money it's a great lens. However, it leaves me with the problem of a quality wide prime. So the debate in my head is between the 15 f4 and the 14 f2.8 and which one will approach the same quality as the 50-135, I won't mind if it surpasses it. Still in the meantime the 16-45 will suffice:thumbup:
Even though I'd be warned I couldn't believe how quite it it is, I've been used to the clunk of Nikons which are now out of my life.

ecsh

I am not impressed with the 15 even on my third copy. I would try the 14 2.8 before the 15.
Joe

jonoslack

HI David
It really is quiet isn't it - I'm with you on the wide problem - and with Joe - the 15 isn't it. Nor is the 16-50 zoom. I have the sigma 10-20 f3.5, which isn't so bad, but needs a bit more investigation to be certain.
My feeling is that there isn't really a Pentax lens for wider than 18mm, which is boring.

all the best

DavidL

Hi again Jono
Wides always seem an issue for me. The only wide I was really impressed with, since my Zeiss on Contax days, was the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. I'm not looking for a wide zoom or I'd have given the 12-24 Pentax a whirl. I find for personal shooting if I want a wide, I just want a wide. Used the Nikon as a 21mm (14mm) on a crop body, with D700 I just went to the other end of the range. Big expensive 20-24mm.
Cheers
Dave

rparmar

The DA12-24mm is the best option for wide on a Pentax. In terms of IQ it is useful from f/4 wide open, though often one would want to stop down anyway. I am not a zoom user, but this lens simply offers the best utility. 24mm on APS-C is a very useful field of view. And 12mm is wide enough for just about anything.

It is large compared with a prime but not at all large for what it does. I always put it in my bag when travelling.

The Thames at Work (Red)

Rich M

The DA12-24mm is the best option for wide on a Pentax. In terms of IQ it is useful from f/4 wide open, though often one would want to stop down anyway. I am not a zoom user, but this lens simply offers the best utility. 24mm on APS-C is a very useful field of view. And 12mm is wide enough for just about anything.

It is large compared with a prime but not at all large for what it does. I always put it in my bag when travelling.
Robin.....that is a VERY nice shot.....well composed.....nice PP.

R

Godfrey

I worked with the DA14/2.8 and loved it. It predates the 12-24/4 by about a year and was the reason I got into Pentax in the first place.. I had it from 2004 to 2008 and it never failed to make brilliant photos. It's kinda big and heavy but worth it.

woodyspedden

Hi again Jono
Wides always seem an issue for me. The only wide I was really impressed with, since my Zeiss on Contax days, was the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. I'm not looking for a wide zoom or I'd have given the 12-24 Pentax a whirl. I find for personal shooting if I want a wide, I just want a wide. Used the Nikon as a 21mm (14mm) on a crop body, with D700 I just went to the other end of the range. Big expensive 20-24mm.
Cheers
Dave
David

Take a look at the 18mm Zeiss ZK. They are available here in the states at Popflash Photo (I have no affiliation with them other than I bought my 18mm and 50 Macro from then when I purchased my K-5)

Good guys to deal with. You may find a dealer in the U.K. who sells the ZK mounts but they are no longer made so the only supply I know of here in the states is from Popflash

Best

Woody

ecsh

I may listen to Godfrey's advise again<G>. He was right on about the 43 1.9, when i was not even thinking about that lens. But, its proven to me to be a great performer.

Sapphie

Nice Godfrey! If I were to go for WA I think it may be the 12-24 zoom. Too many 'not sharp enough' comments here for the 15mm, though apparently loved over on pentaxforums.

In fact 12-24 + 43 (already have it) + 77 may be all I need ... (well + the 18-135 for when I am lazy or it is raining and I do lust after the 31mm but that's just blatant drooling).

Lee

Godfrey

Nice Godfrey! If I were to go for WA I think it may be the 12-24 zoom. Too many 'not sharp enough' comments here for the 15mm, though apparently loved over on pentaxforums.

In fact 12-24 + 43 (already have it) + 77 may be all I need ... (well + the 18-135 for when I am lazy or it is raining and I do lust after the 31mm but that's just blatant drooling).

Lee
Didnt like the 31 very much. The 12-24 is almost as good as the 14. Not a big zoom lens fan here, tho. 14, 21, 43 and 77 mm make a great kit.

woodyspedden

I may listen to Godfrey's advise again<G>. He was right on about the 43 1.9, when i was not even thinking about that lens. But, its proven to me to be a great performer.
Actually I was not thinking about G lenses. I was talking about the Zeiss ZK which are current Zeiss production lenses built on to the K mount. There aren't many left as Zeiss (at least claims) they will build no more for the K mount. However that may prove to be premature now that K-5 bodies are selling so well.

Woody

Knorp

The Thames at Work (Red)

Whatever the lens or camera used, this is a fine image indeed :thumbs:
Care to share some more shots with 12-24, Robin ?

Thanks a lot.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Don't overlook the Sigma 8-16/4 for Pentax mount that has been getting superior reviews from the various pundits: Photozone, FM (reviewing for Canon mount). Obviously slow, but purportedly very sharp...translates to 12-24 for crop cameras.

Roy Benson