Site Sponsors

Thread: Night time photo E-1 vs K-5 opinions needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Night time photo E-1 vs K-5 opinions needed

I am looking to upgrade my system but would like opinions on how the K-5 would have handled this photo from last night vs my E-1. Thanks in advance for comments!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Night time photo E-1 vs K-5 opinions needed

One of the strengths of the K5 is its high ISO performance. Easily usable to 12,800 it is very strong at 6400. Couple it with a lens e.g. 55 1.4 SDM and you should (I think) exceed the low light performance of the E5......JMHO

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Night time photo E-1 vs K-5 opinions needed

Well the K-5 is one of the current DR and definitively APS_C low light high iso kings. It will beat your E-1 (I mean the E_1 is how many years old now?) and even the E-5 hands down.

But I think the better question to ask is- what exactly you think you need. Your photo with the E-1 doesn't look all that bad to me. If you have Olympus glass and this is the level of low light you have to deal with, the E-5 may be a better option as you don't have to buy more glass.

If you don't have much Olympus glass at all then it becomes a different story. At $1,700 USD, the E-5 certainly invites to consider a system switch depending on your needs.

- Raist