The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(K-5) Trouper performers, walk.. Saturday….

raist3d

Got there today….

Getting ready:

After the show:

And a non sequitor, a bird:

- Raist

Last edited:

raist3d

I must say I am somewhat *astounded* at the practical DR/range the K-5 has. I think this is the first time I get shots that clearly show this. The "getting ready show" was a super high contrast situation and I could recover all the highlights or shadows as I wanted.

Never ever experienced that with my 4/3rds equipment, though in practical terms at least for the getting ready shot, I could have lived with "sending the shadows to no data/dark" while exposing for the highlights.

The bird, as dark as it looks can still recover detail of feathers in the blackest area if necessary though a bit noisy but it's still remarkable.

- Raist

Last edited:

raist3d

I think it was Matrix with -1 ev. In all honesty if I am setting a shot where I can take more of my time, I would normally spot meter and use full manual.

I realize the K-5 has a lot of shadow range, so I tend to under expose 1/2 a stop, but this shot has -1 ev.

- Raist

Knorp

Dear Raist, how could I have not commented earlier !
What a great series and the troupers look every bit the part.
Indeed the K5 seems wonderful in preserving a wide DR.
Your first shot is a perfect proof of that.

:OT: Though a charming young lady [#3], she badly needs to whiten here teeth ::eek:

All the very best.

raist3d

@knorp - hey thanks! I like the stuff you are putting up quite a bit too. That particular shot was actually badly under exposed and I was able to recover it. Quite surprising, maybe I should show the original. Maybe her teeth is just a notch darker than it should be LOL :)

- Raist

raist3d

Here's what I mean by DR specifically:

This is the first shot. The shot to the leftmost square is the original!

Highlights pretty much recovered. But how are the shadows?

The rightmost square shows all the data there. The leftmost square is the original shot. I have not doing any kind of noise reduction or the like.

Really this camera's DR is quite amazing. Wish I had this kind of DR when shooting a wedding in the woods in Mendocino, CA, though I learned a very nice trick there.

- Raist

jonoslack

Hi Ricardo
Lovely
I especially like the first shot and the 4th
I keep getting 'slapped' by the dynamic range of the K5 - it really is a lovely camera, not that that has anything to do with your fine shots.

Maybe you could whiten the nice lady's teeth for her?

It would have the added benefit of making Bart's post look a bit odd :poke:

Incidentally, I agree with you about Bart's photography, it's always been depressingly good.
:p