The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 and Sigma 10-20 f3.5

jonoslack

I spent an hour and a half putting the lens through it's paces this evening.

It's not perfect, but it's not bad either!

jonoslack

Here are some more

It's not too expensive, it's nicely made, focusing is quiet and fast, image quality is pretty good. It focuses pretty close.

not despicable :)

benroy

Subscriber Member
I've got a thing for trees, Jono... and the one with the dog got my toes tingling..

Roy Benson

jonoslack

Not bad at all. I love that knarly looking tree in the water.
Joe
Thanks Joe - that pond is always lovely, but it's prickly to get to! The light is always different too

Look like a nice lens choice and good photos as well.
Jim
Thanks Jim - I think it does the job - the Pentax 12-24 is nearly twice the price, and that isn't weathersealed either.

I've got a thing for trees, Jono... and the one with the dog got my toes tingling..

Roy Benson
Thank you Roy - me too - as for the dog, will it spoil it if I tell you that he was cocking a leg to make his mark?

I remember reading somewhere that making an ultra wide lens into a zoom was relatively simple, and without much of an impact on image quality. This lens works okay - the corners are not fantastic, but they're okay as long as it's stopped down. Hardly the quality of the Lieca tri-elmar, but then it's not much more than 1/10th of the price.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jono: you are very lucky to have trees in uncluttered surroundings...I live in suburbia where there are dramatic trees but they are always surrounded by buildings...I take a miniature dachshund with me in my quest for subject matter...she's a pretty good tree tinkler, although not a leg lifter.

Roy Benson

DavidL

It's a tempting walkabout , do most everything lens. Having the 50-135 the 17-70 would suit me more but as you know I've gone ltd.

David

rparmar

Some lovely shots there. I have seen distinct distortion from the Sigma 10-20 so I am wondering if you did any geometric fixing up in PP? To get horizons straight, for example.

I have the DA12-24 which is only slightly better build... still a bit wonky in my opinion. It misses out on the 2mm wide, which is a lot. But I prefer having the 24mm on the other end which I use more than any other focal length. And it has a tad less distortion and clarity

To be honest anything wide is always disappointing if one examines an image per pixel. That much "world" fit into the same amount of sensor is always gong to limit the detail. I suppose I should save up for the 645D. ;)

jonoslack

Hi Robin
Some lovely shots there. I have seen distinct distortion from the Sigma 10-20 so I am wondering if you did any geometric fixing up in PP? To get horizons straight, for example.

I have the DA12-24 which is only slightly better build... still a bit wonky in my opinion. It misses out on the 2mm wide, which is a lot. But I prefer having the 24mm on the other end which I use more than any other focal length. And it has a tad less distortion and clarity
I was tempted by the 12-24, but put off by the price!. I haven't done any correction to these shots - Doing this kind of nature stuff the distortion really isn't too much of a problem - I usually deal with horizons with the camera angle, but basically I use whatever comes up.

24mm is a favorite of mine - and I can see your point that the Pentax will also double as a normal 35mm equivalent.

To be honest anything wide is always disappointing if one examines an image per pixel. That much "world" fit into the same amount of sensor is always gong to limit the detail. I suppose I should save up for the 645D. ;)
Oh no - anything wide isn't always disappointing! I have the 16-18-21 leica tri-elmar, and it's lovely - crispy corners crispy centre - of course there is some distortion, but basically it's a lovely lens (small too). On the other hand, for that price it certainly ought to be good!

JMaher

Jono,

Either I am looking at the wrong lens or the Pentax 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20 3.5 are about the same price, at least at B&H. $699 versus $649. At similar prices would you have made the same purchase?

Jim

jonoslack

Jono,

Either I am looking at the wrong lens or the Pentax 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20 3.5 are about the same price, at least at B&H. $699 versus $649. At similar prices would you have made the same purchase?

Jim
Probably. But in the UK it's £400 against £600. And I like the wider end.

emr

Jono, did you consider the 8-16mm Sigma? They say it is as good or better than the 10-20mm ones. I'm seriously tempted. The downside is it has a convex front lens and can not use conventional filters.

jonoslack

Jono, did you consider the 8-16mm Sigma? They say it is as good or better than the 10-20mm ones. I'm seriously tempted. The downside is it has a convex front lens and can not use conventional filters.
I did, but I thought that the 20 (30) mm made it more useful, and an equivalent to 15mm is plenty wide enough for me. . . . . but really I should be using the Leica for this stuff!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Yes, Jono, you should be using the Leitz (or the Zeiss) wide angles...the Pentax extreme wide angles don't even come close. I just picked up (today) the Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6 and have given it a quick trial run...not impressed...so far, anyway.They look good on the iMac monitor, at full screen, but when zooming in...not there!

Roy Benson

woodyspedden

So far I am very pleased with the Zeiss ZK 18 and the Zeiss ZK 28mm for the K-5. I'll post a couple of shots as soon as I can get out of the house.

Woody

Rich M

So far I am very pleased with the Zeiss ZK 18 and the Zeiss ZK 28mm for the K-5. I'll post a couple of shots as soon as I can get out of the house.

Woody
I have the ZK28 and frankly find it very difficult to focus. I have a KatzEye screen and find it very easy to focus other manual focus lenses (especially the Voigtlanders....they seem to POP into focus).

For some reason, the ZK focus is very hard to discern. Any ideas as to why?

R

rparmar

Oh no - anything wide isn't always disappointing! I have the 16-18-21 leica tri-elmar, and it's lovely - crispy corners crispy centre - of course there is some distortion, but basically it's a lovely lens (small too). On the other hand, for that price it certainly ought to be good!
But 16mm isn't wide compared with 12mm, let alone 10mm! 16mm is much easier to do, the DA16-45 managing it very nicely for no money at all.

jonoslack

But 16mm isn't wide compared with 12mm, let alone 10mm! 16mm is much easier to do, the DA16-45 managing it very nicely for no money at all.
Hi Robin
But 16mm on a full frame sensor is pretty much the same angle of view as 10 on an APSc.