The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(K-5) DA 70… Memorial day walk around...

JMaher

Nice sharp pictures with great color. The DA 70 looks like a good lens for you. I need to use mine more.

Jim

ashwinrao1

Nice series, Raist...really shows off the nice qualities of this lens and the short tele on the K5...I am personally in love with the signature of the 77 FA, but the 70 DA has a lovely look all to itself, which melds well with your images!

jonoslack

Splendid Ricardo
I especially like the second and third.
Everybody looks sooo happy!

So - is it a good lens? whaddyareckon?

all the best

raist3d

@ Jono - The DA 70 is a very nice lens and I thought that after getting the 50-135 I would think the DA 70 redundant, but turned the other way around. It's nice you can have that bokeh/focal length in such a small package.

Overall though I would say the 50-135 seems to have better color/tonality. But the DA 70 can be sometimes sharper in a way, wider.

@ JMaher- I think any lens that is small and high quality has my name on it :) Particularly that focal length.

@ everyone - thanks for looking & the comments.

- Raist

benroy

Subscriber Member
First rate street pics, Ricardo...are the ladies crossing the street "ladies" or ladies? My apologies for the late comments...I wrote similar comments a couple of days ago and must have posted them on another thread.

The 70 and 77 are truly jewels in the Pentax crown.

Roy Benson

m3photo

Re:DA 70 Good Lens

Oh yes. It's so unobtrusive for a 105mm equivalent - perfect for discreet street work; aside 30 or 40 people on earth (those who have heard of it on GetDpi forums, naturally) :D no-one can imagine such a small thing attached to a camera can have so much relative reach.
Only small niggle; the whirring of the autofocus - once you're used to the swish of modern lenses it seems a little off-putting - mind you, there's always manual ...
As I keep saying; this and the 21mm are the perfect street/holiday combo.

m3photo

Not really - she gets the occasional pair of shoes and I'm allowed a thousandth of a second in return ...

raist3d

@Jono - just wait for the next gay pride parade in SF for street/holiday combo shots :)
@m3photo - yes, the DA 21mm and DA 70mm are my first two lenses that I bought for the K-5 only adding last week the 50-135. And if I had to keep only two lenses, those would be it :)
@Terry- thanks :) I want to see stuff from you and the X100. Maybe you have posted some here and I need to look for it! :)
@Benroy, thanks and thanks for looking.

raist3d

Si someone I respect a lot as a photographer told me that the shots with cars close to the subjects are ruined by having those cars in there. I had a hunch they got a bit in the way (20%) but I needed to really catch this. So... Just sharing.

I need to work harder! ;-)

Paratom

Splendid Ricardo
I especially like the second and third.
Everybody looks sooo happy!

all the best
Hi Jono,
just did further comparison shots between the 70 and the 50135 at f2.8 and my clear conclusion is that
- the 70 really shows clearly much more CA than the 50-135at 70
- the Bokeh of the 70 is fine but more busy than the zoom
- sharpness and contrast seem comparable
- color the zoom is a slightly warmer
So for my taste the main advantage of the 70 is size

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
just did further comparison shots between the 70 and the 50135 at f2.8 and my clear conclusion is that
- the 70 really shows clearly much more CA than the 50-135at 70
- the Bokeh of the 70 is fine but more busy than the zoom
- sharpness and contrast seem comparable
- color the zoom is a slightly warmer
So for my taste the main advantage of the 70 is size
Thanks Tom
I'm leaning toward the 50-135 - I was just thinking of a little kit.

how're you doing with the focusing?

Knorp

Excellent street series, Ricardo :thumbup:

And the "ladies" are real corkers, no wonder Jono fell for them ...
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

All the best.

Paratom

Thanks Tom
I'm leaning toward the 50-135 - I was just thinking of a little kit.

how're you doing with the focusing?
of course i can only talk about my lens samples. But I really like the 50-135. Very flexible lens and opttically really good IMO.

Focusing....Spent some time again on finetuning today and found out I had "overtuned" some lenses.
Then I shot about 100 shots when visting friends having fun in the pool.
Focusing at distances up to 1-2m seems good now, but focusing longer distances (lets say >3-5m) seems still to not be really reliable. I get some in focus shots but also quite some OOF.
If I estemate I nail focus with the Nikon 80-90%, with the S2 not much less (as long as the subject is not moving), and with the K5 at longer distances maybe 60-70%.