The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Macros

Here's a one handed, arm extended, almost fell in the pond, live view, macro of one of my little green friends at the lily pond. Early morning light.

Pentax K5 / DA 35mm macro ISO 400 f/4.5 1/160

ashwinrao1

Nicely seen, Jim. I saw this image on DPreview earlier today and was about to comment there. I feel like you made a similar shot a year or so back with the D-Lux 4, and this one is easily it's equal....lovely work, as usual...

Nicely seen, Jim. I saw this image on DPreview earlier today and was about to comment there. I feel like you made a similar shot a year or so back with the D-Lux 4, and this one is easily it's equal....lovely work, as usual...
Ashwin, yes... photo ops are limited these days due to the demands of my job so I've not been able to do much with any of my cameras.. this was a quick trip to the lily pond using the K5 again to see if I could get better focus lock on the little green people.

scho

Here's a one handed, arm extended, almost fell in the pond, live view, macro of one of my little green friends at the lily pond. Early morning light.

Pentax K5 / DA 35mm macro ISO 400 f/4.5 1/160
Beautiful shot Jim. Love the lush greens. You must have very accommodating frogs to get that close with the 35.

Godfrey

Very nice, Jim!

The little green people often don't sit still long enough to get a good shot... :)

raist3d

Jim, how you find the 35mm macro if you were shooting non macro subjects? I understand that lens is hyper sharp.

- Raist

jonoslack

Jim, how you find the 35mm macro if you were shooting non macro subjects? I understand that lens is hyper sharp.

- Raist
I really like it - it is sharp, but I don't find it brutal. A lovely lens IMHO.

Jim - great shot - I wish I had nice little green frogs like that in the pond I wish I had :ROTFL: (Ponds around here end up as mosquito breeding grounds . . . unless you have little green frogs I guess!).

all the best

jonoslack

. . . . . and here are one or two more

(taken with the 18-135 at 135)

Emma's currants looking like gooseberries

(taken with the 100 WR)

Simple this one - but I like it

(taken with the 100 WR)

Very nice, Jim!

The little green people often don't sit still long enough to get a good shot... :)
Well, these frogs don't seem to mind a lens in their face at all. Most of them will allow you to get within inches. I have even reached out and picked one up and then placed it back on a "better" lily pad.

I believe these are a type of tree frog. The lily pond is only about 12 by 24 feet in size but there are a lot of rushes and lily pads so it is sometimes hard to get a clear shot... but they are very accomodating. The larger ones rarely budge.. the younger, smaller ones are a bit more twitchy.

Godfrey

... I believe these are a type of tree frog. The lily pond is only about 12 by 24 feet in size but there are a lot of rushes and lily pads so it is sometimes hard to get a clear shot... but they are very accomodating. The larger ones rarely budge.. the younger, smaller ones are a bit more twitchy.
They look like the Green Tree Frog to me, Hyla cinerea. Here's a whole page devoted to them:

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek050922.html

They're nocturnal so when you see them during the day they're often sleeping.

emr

Jim, that's one great frog shot. You nailed the focus. I'm terrible at macros, haven't got many good macro shots with my DFA 100mm WR. Does the shorter FL provide a larger DOF and help focusing?

Knorp

Hi there Jim,

great thread and it always makes me smile seeing your "green friends".
Lovely creature and well captured.

Kind regards.

Elliot

Jim,

It would be great to see a comparison photograph taken with your GH2, though perhaps you do not have an equivalent lens for it. Without falling in the pond, since the Panny isn't weather resistant! Easy for me to say, as I sit here at the computer.

Elliot

raist3d

I really like the 35. Sharp, quiet, and capable of macro as well as normal shooting. Good color and contrast.
Thanks. I think I will probably end up with 3 pancakes:

DA 21
DA 70 (already have these two)

And the DA 35 for the macro shots, but was thinking could probably use it even for some street life.

And my new 50-135 DA*. And with that call it done for a while.

- Raist

Knorp

Hi there Ario,
now I do like the flowers but it's more close-up IMO rather than macro.
I'd like to see some true 'macro' work !
What about a nice bee or butterfly or a weird bug ?

Kind regards.

tsjanik

Hi there Ario,
now I do like the flowers but it's more close-up IMO rather than macro.
I'd like to see some true 'macro' work !
What about a nice bee or butterfly or a weird bug ?

Kind regards.
Here's an unknown species (to me) of bee. The flower is 3 cm in diameter, which means the bee is about 5mm in length.
Tom

PS great frog Jim