Site Sponsors

Thread: Examining K-5 DR thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Examining K-5 DR thread...

I must say I am still a bit surprised how much DR this photographic tool has. As a real life valid example I wanted to show from a shot I did last weekend:

That shot was a bit heavy back lit. You can see below the original shot after the crop I did on the left square, and on purpose pushing it more than I needed to show the incredible shadow range this camera has:

And here's a 100% crop. If you notice the shadows have been pushed up by 4.5 stops in Aperture!

You just see a hint of noise. I must say that is quite remarkable.

PS: If you are wondering about the sharpness two things to keep in mind:

#1. I was manually focusing, relatively wide open (F4 for APS-C). The focus is slightly behind her. It still prints good.

#2. I have not applied any sharpening whatsoever to these crops, wanted to show specifically the DR.

#3. Remember that more DR is not always good. Sometimes you want to blow something out to dark or white for composition. You can work with a camera with less DR more to that effect. There's still no excuse for bad photos :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Examining K-5 DR thread...

One more note: the shot as used as a tiny bit of fill and exposure at +0.80 EV, in LightRoom 3.xx (yes, I was testing a LightRoom trial when I exported the shot, but showing in Aperture the DR).

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Ricardo
    The DR keeps surprising me as well (as do those legs) - excellent and really useful.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I keep reading about the legs… just a question, you know she's not a woman, right? Just wondering for a second… (not that you can't still find the legs surprising :-) ).

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I keep reading about the legs… just a question, you know she's not a woman, right? Just wondering for a second… (not that you can't still find the legs surprising :-) ).

- Raist
    Hi Ricardo - of course I do realise - they don't quite look like girls legs, but they are still remarkable!

I'd love to come to SF for the gay pride do, but I guess if I really cared I'd be going to Amsterdam where they know how to do these things too.

So - I've just got rid of my X100, should I use the proceeds on the two DA lenses (21 and 70?)

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Lol ok just wondering. I had a roommate once that found a woman very hot and argued with me on it and then she spoke. Not quite a feminine voice Lol but I wish o had a camera back then to photograph his reaction ;-)

Well if you are going to want to carry light and do street work I would say those two lenses are pretty awesome. You have to ask yourself if that's you.

To me this was/ is one of the reasons to consider the k-5 but that's just my needs & me.
    Last edited by raist3d; 4th June 2011 at 08:35. Reason: corrected some bad auto correct text from my iPhone :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Jono
    Take a look at the 43 1.9. Its a lovely lens.
    Joe