Site Sponsors

Thread: My DA*55 is here!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My DA*55 is here!!

After the bad experience with the DA15 and DA18-135, I finally satisfied my LBA by getting the DA55. Did a couple of quick tests on a piece of paper under natural lighting to test the AF, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

The lens is pretty well built. Not as nice looking as a Ltd or the FA100WR, but very very solid. It's slightly smaller than the kit 18-55 lens, but noticeably larger than the FA35/2. The DA*55 comes with a lens pouch and a big hood.

First impression is that at F1.4, the image is soft everywhere. Stop it down to F2, and it's sharp.

For a SDM lens, the AF is pretty slow. My FA35/2 definitely AF's faster than the DA*55. It's also not as quiet as the SDM in the 18-135.

I'll take some real photos over the weekend and let y'all know my further thoughts on the DA*55. Will it be a or or ?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My DA*55 is here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    After the bad experience with the DA15 and DA18-135, I finally satisfied my LBA by getting the DA55. Did a couple of quick tests on a piece of paper under natural lighting to test the AF, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

The lens is pretty well built. Not as nice looking as a Ltd or the FA100WR, but very very solid. It's slightly smaller than the kit 18-55 lens, but noticeably larger than the FA35/2. The DA*55 comes with a lens pouch and a big hood.

First impression is that at F1.4, the image is soft everywhere. Stop it down to F2, and it's sharp.

For a SDM lens, the AF is pretty slow. My FA35/2 definitely AF's faster than the DA*55. It's also not as quiet as the SDM in the 18-135.

I'll take some real photos over the weekend and let y'all know my further thoughts on the DA*55. Will it be a or or ?
    Congrats and I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it is no lemon.

Anyway, happy shooting !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bart!

I applied +10 on the micro adjustment in the K-5, and the images at F1.4 seem to be much sharper now.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Thanks Bart!

I applied +10 on the micro adjustment in the K-5, and the images at F1.4 seem to be much sharper now.
    Testing fast lenses you have to deal with shallow DOF which could be misleading.
    I strongly suggest that you take your time and work meticulous while testing.
    Really +10 can't be right IMO, if F/2 is reasonable sharp and F/1.4 soft without any correction applied, how is F/2 now with a +10 correction ?
    Also MF is worth trying.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

What Knorp said. Check with manual focusing/live view.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will do. Thanks for the pointers!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

So where are the pixies! :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spent Saturday with the K5 + DA55 and the X100. Will post some photos later tonight after I convert the RAW files.
    Armanius
    My Flickr