The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax on E-P1 -- an article series

rparmar

Well, it seems appropriate to combine my love for Pentax and my new MFT, so I am writing a series of articles. I hope these will help others who want to compare the two systems, or use Pentax lenses on MFT bodies, or whatever.

Comparing Camera Size: Pentax K20D Versus Olympus E-P1 is the second in the series. Here's one of the shots:

I've got some photos with this combo processed and ready to go. I just need to write up the next post.

(Hope this isn't considered spam as I have nothing to sell and only info to share!)

emr

Robin, that was an interesting read so far, waiting for the rest. "Cyborg descendent" - brilliant!

However, I'll comment on the µ4/3 camera path. I too have been very tempted, mostly for the same reasons as you. I actually even owned a GH2 for a short time, but admittedly it's nowhere as small as the E-P1 and its like. You comment that the E-P1 is significantly smaller, but IMO that's subjective. Smaller yes, but is it significant. One can't fit a DSLR in the pocket, but not most µ4/3 cameras either. OK, maybe a smaller camera body and a pancake or collapsable lens in a coat pocket. But my point is that if one wants a truly smaller option, this may not be it. I have a Canon S90 for that use myself. Also, I've noticed that in the long run I don't like the "backside telly" but want a viewfinder, optical or electronic. The ergonomics without one just don't work for me. The µ4/3 cameras with one - built-in or attached - are even less pocketable. The image quality is IMO good enough in good light, while there's a compromise in low light. Though less than with fly dropping sized sensors (like in my S90).

Did you try or consider compact cameras with larger sensors - like Sony NEX or Samsung NX? Samsung especially can be found pretty cheaply now.

rparmar

"Smaller yes, but is it significant. One can't fit a DSLR in the pocket, but not most µ4/3 cameras either."

Excellent point. Incremental differences in size are not necessarily significant; if one can't store one camera in a simpler way than another, it matters little. For me I need to consider how much room a camera takes when packed (e.g. in a rucksack for travel) and also how much room it takes in a bag handy for use. (To be really handy I keep cameras in hand with a wrist strap.)

My article illustrates that the E-P1 + 20mm is significantly smaller than even the smallest Pentax camera with a compact prime. So long as you forget about addons (flash, EVF) and stick with pancake lenses, packing for a trip and carting gear is a lot easier. True one can't put it into any (reasonable) pocket but that is not a requirement for me.

Unfortunately once one adds on the FA43 or similar it starts to look almost as bulky as a Pentax, due to the size of the adapter. This is a big downside for me.

I know I could get smaller but am not willing to make the required image quality sacrifice. In fact I'd rather be shooting 645! :D How the LCD works out for me remains to be seen. Maybe I'll be driven mad by the "telly".

As to your other suggestions I am not sure I follow. The Samsung NX100 is no smaller than MFT so how does it address this problem? The Sony NEX-5 is about 20% smaller and a lot lighter but it's a Sony. I try not to buy anything with that name on it that isn't audio gear... and even then!

Seriously though, the system has next to no lens support and the camera lacks direct parameter control and image stabilisation. With the zoom it's actually bigger than a PEN. And the IQ seems to me to have that typical Sony softness.

However the tilt LCD is a great idea. Add IBIS and reassure me about the IQ. Then I might be interested at $200.

emr

As to your other suggestions I am not sure I follow. The Samsung NX100 is no smaller than MFT so how does it address this problem? The Sony NEX-5 is about 20% smaller and a lot lighter but it's a Sony.
Robin, it was just a random thought re: the bigger sensor in those, theoretically providing a better IQ. But choosing µ4/3 may really be the optimal compromise after all. They can make those APS-C cameras unbelievably small (too small to handle properly?), but the lenses will be still much bigger than for µ4/3 cameras. TBH, the NEX cameras are already too small for me.

rparmar

Thanks again for the suggestions, which I appreciate. My critique is not directed and you so much as at the other cameras.

MFT is a fine size so long as two conditions are met. First, pancake primes must be available, because the zooms are not compact. We have a 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 so what is distinctly missing is a portrait lens. A 40/1.7 should be made available at a reasonable price.

The second condition is ergonomics, which still needs serious work, IMO. We need two proper dials for improved usability, fewer buttons (customisable) to decrease clutter, larger grip, etc.

Owen_Coors

Hi Robin,
That's some pretty interesting reading there, on your blog. Just about a week ago I too tested a lens to see how it's sharpness compared at all apertures, on an MFT body (GF2) and I can confirm your findings, as f4 was the sharpest image. Had no idea at the time though, that this was the rule and not an exception. I really love to read informative articles, like yours. A real breath of fresh air, compared to the same old rhetoric that I see from day to day. I also really like your E-P1 images. Those two limited lenses that your using look to do a very nice job. I'm interested in getting some older Pentax K lenses, that's what brought me into this forum, to use with my MFT camera. Please, keep up the good work!

Owen

rparmar

Thanks, Owen.

I cannot say that it is a rule that a lens will be sharp at f/4, but I certainly like using the FA43 at that aperture.

There are tons of great older Pentax lenses. In fact it is really hard to go wrong with their primes, with only a few models known to be sub-par. The very best are not bargain basement priced since everyone knows quite well how good they are!