The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Miss Olympus color with the K-5? Try DXo Optics Raw Converter 6

raist3d

Maybe someone has mentioned this elsewhere, but much to my surprise, the latest DXo Optics Raw converter supports many manufacturer brands and models as far as default color profile goes from their JPEG / RAW conversions. I tried a shot with my K-5 to an Olympus E-3 simulation and yup, pretty ball park of what I expect the E-3 to look like. Quite surprising. I also saw the "Canon color" and Nikon stuff. Here's some pics for comparison.

Just surprised how accurate their software has nailed these profiles.

First the K-5 typical color. I think this is the "Bright" default of the jpeg engine which converts a bit different from the "slide" film simulation. I always found the yellows a bit green and the blues too contrasty/saturated and even sometimes going to purple or edge of, a bit on occasion:

But who would have thought, here is the Olympus E-3 typical color I like (from the same K-5 raw, notice the yellows look a bit more warm/yellow while the K-5's is a bit by default more green):

Miss the Canon? Here's the 7d:

Miss the P7000 (P&S)-like/D90 (DSLR) yellowish Nikon? Here's the D90:

Looks like Nikon tweaked their D7000 (next pic). In fact it seemed Nikon varied a lot. To my surprise the default D3x profile if it really mimics the DX3 seems to also go more D90- yellow skin.

Here's the D7000:

I am pretty surprised at least how well it approximates the Olympus color I know. They also had the 420/520/etc. profile which is just like the E-3's but a bit more contrast.

- Raist