Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Which Prime Lens?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Which Prime Lens?

    I've decided that the only way I will be able to make a judgement regarding Pentax's suitability for me is to buy the K-5 and a single prime and give it a try. Many here get great results, even with lenses that Photozone doesn't regard very highly. It seems there is a skill level with the camera and in PP that many are able to exploit.

    I'd like to try a limited prime. The only interest I have in Pentax is in regard to their limited primes. It seems consensus that the 15mm is one to shy away from, but that leaves quite a few others.

    Any advice or recommendations?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Start with the most versatile: SMC Pentax FA43mm f/1.9 Limited. It's a "long normal" on the DSLR format and could be all you ever need.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    One prime only - a DA 35mm f/2.8 limited macro? I don't personally have it, but it's close to a normal on APS-C, is fairly versatile and most users find it a great lens…

  4. #4
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Godfrey is right on about the 43 1.9
    Beautiful rendering and fast.
    Joe

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmack View Post
    I've decided that the only way I will be able to make a judgement regarding Pentax's suitability for me is to buy the K-5 and a single prime and give it a try. Many here get great results, even with lenses that Photozone doesn't regard very highly. It seems there is a skill level with the camera and in PP that many are able to exploit.

    I'd like to try a limited prime. The only interest I have in Pentax is in regard to their limited primes. It seems consensus that the 15mm is one to shy away from, but that leaves quite a few others.

    Any advice or recommendations?

    Thanks
    I don't concur with this concensus that the 15mm is so bad. I used it extensively on a trip to Puerto Rico and it performed quite well for me. I might just have an exceptional copy. Some images taken with the 15 on pages 9 & 10 of my pbase site.
    Carl
    Gallery

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    I have the 43/1.9 and it is sublime.....both on the Pentax and on a m4/3 body.

    I want to add the FA77 to the discussion......I had the 70Ltd to compare it to and it had a little more "grace" (the 70Ltd is still a fine lens also).


    R

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    I have the 43/1.9 and it is sublime.....both on the Pentax and on a m4/3 body.

    I want to add the FA77 to the discussion......I had the 70Ltd to compare it to and it had a little more "grace" (the 70Ltd is still a fine lens also).
    oh the FA77 is right there too, but it's a little long for a "one lens all the time" kit, for me anyway. I'd do the 43, then 21, then 77. I had the 14 and it was great, but is more a specialty use lens for me. Likewise a 100.. A little long on the format for me.

  8. #8
    New Member ChrisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    All the Limited series lenses are much better than average. What field-of-view are you most comfortable with? For a slightly wide normal view the 31 LTD is hard to beat. Unfortunately it's the heaviest of the bunch. I love the 21 for it's compact size and true wide (not super wide) perspective.
    Chris

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    As it's just for trying out how about the 40mm f2.8 Ltd. Cheapest lens of the bunch.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    I agree...the little pancake 40 is just as good as any of the aforementioned ...greatly underrated (because of its cost/size?)...and holds its own with the "overrated" 43. The 40 pancake and K-5 makes (IMO) the ideal street combination...you can shoot one-handed (quickly and unobtrusively) all day without tiring or losing sharpness.

    Roy Benson

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    I agree...the little pancake 40 is just as good as any of the aforementioned ...greatly underrated (because of its cost/size?)...and holds its own with the "overrated" 43. The 40 pancake and K-5 makes (IMO) the ideal street combination...you can shoot one-handed (quickly and unobtrusively) all day without tiring or losing sharpness.

    Roy Benson
    +1

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    I agree...the little pancake 40 is just as good as any of the aforementioned ...greatly underrated (because of its cost/size?)...and holds its own with the "overrated" 43. The 40 pancake and K-5 makes (IMO) the ideal street combination...you can shoot one-handed (quickly and unobtrusively) all day without tiring or losing sharpness.
    I had the 40 too. It was a fine performer, but I never cared for the way it felt in use: too thin, the camera didn't feel balanced, the focus ring too hard to work.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Interesting, Godfrey...why did you have to use manual focus...AF is great on this little guy!

    Roy Benson

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Interesting, Godfrey...why did you have to use manual focus...AF is great on this little guy!
    Because no AF system is perfect.

    I don't understand you, Roy. In one thread you disparage the Pentax 21mm as not performing on par with the manual focus only Zeiss lenses, yet here the Pentax 40mm's AF seems to be good enough to satisfy you..?

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Godfrey: sometimes my tongue gets caught in my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.(My wife, of exceeding great patience and understanding, also has this problem with me). I was trying to discuss the images produced by the various lenses...not the benefits or shortcomings of AF. All I was asking was why it would be necessary to use manual focus on the pancake lens...is all.

    Roy Benson

    BTW: perhaps we should continue this discussion via PM...we're getting away from the theme of the thread, and toward you vs me.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which Prime Lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Godfrey: sometimes my tongue gets caught in my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.(My wife, of exceeding great patience and understanding, also has this problem with me). I was trying to discuss the images produced by the various lenses...not the benefits or shortcomings of AF. All I was asking was why it would be necessary to use manual focus on the pancake lens...is all.

    Roy Benson

    BTW: perhaps we should continue this discussion via PM...we're getting away from the theme of the thread, and toward you vs me.
    You asked the specific question of why I needed to focus manually. My answer is that no AF system is perfect, there are times when I need to focus manually to obtain the critical focus I need for my photographs. This has nothing to do with you and me.

    I just don't understand how AF only with the DA 40 is somehow fine but with the DA21, which is an even better performer than the DA40, the lens performance simply isn't good enough to not need to spend double the price for an all manual focus Zeiss lens. ... This is very perplexing to me. If you want to discuss that off-line, be my guest.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •