The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A question to Jono re: the DA 18-135mm lens

emr

I was going to PM this, but having thought about it decided to post a thread instead so others can see this too.

Jono, you have used the 18-135mm zoom now for a while and I suppose you have formed a solid impression of its ups and downs. Also, in addition to being a capable photographer, you're rather picky as a customer - no offense!

So how would you evaluate the lens at this point of time? What are its strengths and weaknesses and how do you cope with them? Would you still buy one and for what kind of use?

My reason for asking this is that while I own a few nearly decent lenses, I have nothing as versatile as this lens focal length wise. And also, my only WR lens so far is the 100mm macro, which is great in many ways but isn't very versatile. Also, I have refused to buy the SDM lenses due to the motor's bad reputation and while the new DC is according to Pentax the cheaper option, who knows it might be more robust.

But having read the Photozone review where they wipe the floor with this lens and also seen their pictures where the borders at 18mm look admittedly terrible, I have a doubt. If this was a 300€ lens, I'd probably just grab one and give it a try, but at about 550€ it should be fairly nice IMO.

So :thumbup: or :thumbdown:? Thanks.

Sapphie

I am not Jono. I have seen Jono's shots with this lens and, of course, they are all much better than any of mine. My opinion - it's a fantastic lens. Small, light, versatile, quiet, fast to focus. The biggest issue I see is some vignetting in the middle range but this is easily corrected. So, all the positives add up to me being unable to decide what lens to get next.

Scientific test are one thing. Real world use is another.

Life's too short, go for it.

But I am happy/eager to listen to Jono's comments too ...

Nice topic for a thread BTW.

Lee

DavidL

While waiting for the man to get back. He has commented on his liking for this lens on many occasions on this forum. Generally it gets the job done
He considers it a good lens and when you consider what else he has lying around the house you have to take him seriously.
David