Site Sponsors

Thread: 31mm at 1.8 and 2.8 dull?

chals

31mm at 1.8 and 2.8 dull?

I have just bought a 31mm ltd. 8 like the bokeh the lens produses and it seems pretty sharp in the corners too, much sharper than 18-135 at f8 (31 at 5.6). But, at 1.8 it seems very dull compared to itself at 2.8. And the white part in a contrasty area leaks into the darker part. Can any of you tell me if this picture looks normal for this lens or not? I expected the lens to be better at 2.8, but not by this much. The picture is a crop of a house about 15-20 meters away and is at 200% http://chals.zenfolio.com/p296791352/h133dcd4
    Last edited by chals; 19th June 2011 at 10:33. Reason: cant see any picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 31mm at 1.8 and 2.8 dull?

And the picture is located where..............
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that this shot would be typical of a lens shot wide open....especially shooting a landscape. Many great lens shot at maximum aperture have adjectives like gauzy.....diaphanous.....or dreamy attached to them.

Know it....and use it artistically in your shots. If you are looking for "sharp".....stop it down a bit....the K-5 can certainly handle the higher ISO....plus you shot it (I am sure just to experiment) at 1/2000. You could slow that down a bit. Also, the FA31 was designed for a FF camera.....so it would not be designed specifically for the APS-C sensor on the K-5.

My advice is to enjoy it....shoot it plenty and wring every nuance that the lens is capable of out of it.

Just my thoughts.....and oh, welcome to the forum.

Regards.....R

chals

can someone who know this lense make som comments? And if this is normal, how are other fast lenses in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    can someone who know this lense make som comments? And if this is normal, how are other fast lenses in comparison.
    I own the lens.....

R

Post Thanks / Like

I own the lens as well, but, quite frankly i do not care what my pics look like at 200%. I look at them as you would hanging on a wall, and am happy with what this lens delivers.
    Joe

chals

But this is not your lens, it is my copy. I don't care about how my pics look like at 200% either, exept for theese two pictures. It is just a necessary illustration to go along with the question. I am just curious if this expensive lens shows up normal behavior or not.