The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(K-5) Finding backgrounds on the streets...

raist3d

I had a chance to photograph at a bar today a very very handsome (to me anyway) German guy. Turns out he's both a scientist and a model. Some things are not fair :)

Looking around it's always interesting how DOF/bokeh, lens, distance to subject and distance subject to background can help create great backgrounds.

The first shot this was a white door with some details but they are gone. Which is exactly what I want. It looks like a studio shot but it isn't, it's outside:

The next is a hangar type door with metal bars. The whole door flexes/rolls up.

And the city background with some blow out:

All shot with the DA70mm. No cropping but some post.

The first shot is pretty much straight forward with no adjustments.

- Raist

Last edited:

rparmar

You can tell he's a model since he knows how to hold his head (unless you coached him). His eye line in the first shot is a bit high, however. I am sure with some PP and subtle sharpness this one could be crystal clear. In the second shot his forehead looks a little bright. A different curve could correct this.

Good work experimenting with the DOF to get the look you wanted. Nice lens in good hands.

raist3d

You can tell he's a model since he knows how to hold his head (unless you coached him). His eye line in the first shot is a bit high, however. I am sure with some PP and subtle sharpness this one could be crystal clear. In the second shot his forehead looks a little bright. A different curve could correct this.

Good work experimenting with the DOF to get the look you wanted. Nice lens in good hands.
What you said about the first shot- is that composition wise or the way he's holding his head/eye? The 2nd shot- the 2nd shot is more subtle, I just punched it. I guess what you are saying to me is "please don't do that" :). Thanks for the comments.

- Raist