The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK so what's the secret

DavidL

of easily removing the SD card from a K5?
I've fumbled, gripped it with my nails, struggled to get it by the ends, can't get my finger between the door and the back of the card, etc.
So would the enlightened, in this matter, among you please divulge the secret teachings of how it can be done easily.
David

tsjanik

David, I have the same problem. I suspect our fingers are simply too large to easily remove the card. I fear damaging the door as I attempt to remove the card. This door is very awkward compared to the K20. I have resorted to using small pliers with tape over the tips (gently).

Tom

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

I have similar problems with some cameras and find that often just pushing down on the SD card and then letting it spring up gives me the best grip for removal.

Cheers,

DavidL

So I'm not alone then. Obviously the people that put it together in Asia have smaller more slender fingers.
David

Godfrey

Small cameras are often difficult to load and unload. The worst for me is one of my old Minox IIIS cameras where I have to take out a penknife and lever up the film cartridge ... carefully! ... by its bridge.

But I digress. :)

For cameras with a tight space for the SD card, like the Panny GF1 or Ricoh GXR, I depress the card into the slot to the limit with my thumbnail and let it pop up. Then I can grab it with thumb and forefinger. Sometimes it takes some practice, but it's never proven to be impossible.

m3photo

Re: Spring Loaded It Is

How kind of you to tell me, Michael.
It was a general "duh", sorry. I just chose your message to tag the text to ... :)

By the way, everybody, it's even written on the inside of the door: "PUSH TO EJECT".
I don't have particularly slender fingers and have oversize thumbs and have never found the cards difficult to remove, pushing in firmly and releasing immediately produces sufficient card to get hold of every time.

MichaelinA2

Aye... 'tis the slight inconvenience price you pay for a weather sealed camera body. Don't be timid. I just push it in, then let it 'pop' out to a grab point. Its never popped all the way out. Seems like a clumsy maneuver at first, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

Cheers... M

neilvan

I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's push to eject just like 99% of the cameras on the market. So push it, let it pop-up, maybe try using your pinky finger and thumb to grasp it? (Whatever works...)

I wear size XXL mens gloves and have no troubles with it at all. My 78-year father who has bigger hands than me popped it out the first time too...