The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Click! K-5 it is.

raist3d

Click, k-5 it is.*

It's been now about seven months since I first got my hands on a k-5. *Back then I was very intrigued by it but coming from zoom land and throwing myself into primes even after some sigma dp2 walk arounds was a big change for me.*

I do still like Olympus and some key things they offer- an it really took me quite a while to learn the k-5 at a more intuitive level, like the way I know the Olympus four thirds system- the e300/e-330/e420/e-3 in particular.*

But something happened between last week and in particular this weekend. Some final piece finally clocked I just really like the k-5 light canvas, love the ergonomics and all in the size and weight I wanted. *That the da limited lenses keep the camera light, small and have complete manual feel along with distance and dof scales is just greatness to me now.*

I took a couple of portraits last night in really bad light of a friend. To my surprise again iso 25600 works and even two I took very grainy at the insane 51200 still work. It may seem self indulgent and I have been told "you use flash for those shots" except I don't. I want available light. The look is way different and while I recognize flash can be used to superb effect it's just not what I have traditionally done nor do want to do in general. Its part of my style I guess.*

I realize now that I feel finally the k-5 and I clicked, that it took over six months to get there which goes to show how much I underestimated the learning of a system switch being a four thirds shooter for over Five years but here I am.*

They key is some things will feel different, some things you miss but some new things you really like. And having an intuitive peace with that balance and your brain wired in how to "conjure" the settings subconsciously for the photograph you are seeing seems to me what is necessary to get to this "zen point" of photographic tool use.*

The ergonomics of the k-5 makes the experience more manually brain wired- in a good way and I feel more involved too. *It's simply a very photographer-centric design.*

-Raist

Knorp

Click, k-5 it is.*

It's been now about seven months since I first got my hands on a k-5. *Back then I was very intrigued by it but coming from zoom land and throwing myself into primes even after some sigma dp2 walk arounds was a big change for me.*

I do still like Olympus and some key things they offer- an it really took me quite a while to learn the k-5 at a more intuitive level, like the way I know the Olympus four thirds system- the e300/e-330/e420/e-3 in particular.*

But something happened between last week and in particular this weekend. Some final piece finally clocked I just really like the k-5 light canvas, love the ergonomics and all in the size and weight I wanted. *That the da limited lenses keep the camera light, small and have complete manual feel along with distance and dof scales is just greatness to me now.*

I took a couple of portraits last night in really bad light of a friend. To my surprise again iso 25600 works and even two I took very grainy at the insane 51200 still work. It may seem self indulgent and I have been told "you use flash for those shots" except I don't. I want available light. The look is way different and while I recognize flash can be used to superb effect it's just not what I have traditionally done nor do want to do in general. Its part of my style I guess.*

I realize now that I feel finally the k-5 and I clicked, that it took over six months to get there which goes to show how much I underestimated the learning of a system switch being a four thirds shooter for over Five years but here I am.*

They key is some things will feel different, some things you miss but some new things you really like. And having an intuitive peace with that balance and your brain wired in how to "conjure" the settings subconsciously for the photograph you are seeing seems to me what is necessary to get to this "zen point" of photographic tool use.*

The ergonomics of the k-5 makes the experience more manually brain wired- in a good way and I feel more involved too. *It's simply a very photographer-centric design.*

-Raist
Hey there Ricardo,

Lately I found myself shooting more often with the K5 than the M9.
As for the ergonomics: I'm missing a 'rest' for my little finger and found the battery grip, although making the camera more bulky, a pleasant addition.

Happy clicking !
:)

Last edited:

raist3d

Wow really? I would think I would probably do the M9 more. That you find better for you than the M9? I am just curious what your experience is.

- Ricardo

Knorp

Wow really? I would think I would probably do the M9 more. That you find better for you than the M9? I am just curious what your experience is.

- Ricardo
Hoi Ricardo,

well after shooting an M for some years, a dSLR is a quite new and exciting experience for me ... :eek:

Kind regards.

jonoslack

As you say Ricardo - when you're really familiar with one system it takes quite a lot to get used to another one . . . . . which rather begs the question as to why I have so many systems:eek:
. . . . . I'm in the same situation as Bart, having shot with an M9 for a while, the K5 is lovely, but I'm starting to spend more time back with the M9, and I'll certainly pick it up first if I'm shooting primes.