The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any suggestions, remedies would be appreciated

benroy

Subscriber Member
Here's one for you...I hope this has not happened to you...but...if it has, how did you get it straightened out?

I bought a Pentax 645 to K5 adapter from Rainbow imaging through Amazon...the adapter clicked onto a 645 lens, and was mounted onto the K-5.
The lens/adapter worked, got images...came time to take the lens off the adapter....dismounted easily from the adapter. When I tried to dismount the adapter from the K-5...just rotates from left to right, vice versa, but WILL NOT UNSEAT.! I have contacted Rainbow imaging (they have no phone, by the way, and they sent me literature (from Pentax) about mounting, dismounting adapters...never addressed (in 3 emails) the problem of getting the adapter off the K-5.

Any suggestions? I've got a $50 adapter holding a $1300 camera hostage.

Roy Benson

Knorp

Roy:

Reattach the lens to the adapter and then try to remove the adapter from the body.
You might be very well right here, Tom.
There's something odd with some adapters.
I had the same sort of issue with an M-to-m43 adapter.
First detaching lens and adapter from the camera, then detach the adapter from the lens.

Give it a try, Roy !

benroy

Subscriber Member
I've tried everything I can think of, including Tom's suggestion. I've tried dismounting with lens on the adapter, lens off the adapter, camera switched on, camera switched off. mirror up, mirror down...camera up, camera down, camera sideways. The adapter is not fitting tightly...it's loose, and can be turned clockwise, counterclockwise, but it will not come off the camera. I don't want to force it...but I'm sure it's a little lever or doofus of some kind inside that is holding the adapter to the lens mount. If I had the hands of a neurosurgeon, I'd try poking around inside, or running a thin blade along the outside...but, unfortunately, I have the hands of a hod carrier.

Roy Benson

neilvan

It sounds like you may have tried but it's worth suggesting.

Have you run your finger around the inside of the mount? Feel for a lever or anything that moves/slides and try dismounting at the same time? I remember this happening years ago with my *ist DS and an adapter of some sort and there was something that needed to be moved for the adapter to come off...

Sorry I can't help any more than that, good luck!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tom, Bart, and Neil. That's my next move...trying to get under between the adapter and the camera mount...maybe a strong flashlight beam along that seam might show something...appreciate all of your input.

Roy Benson

Knorp

Thanks Tom, Bart, and Neil. That's my next move...trying to get under between the adapter and the camera mount...maybe a strong flashlight beam along that seam might show something...appreciate all of your input.

Roy Benson
Hey Roy, any luck yet ?
Perhaps you should take your K5 to a camera shop.

Best of luck.

benroy

Subscriber Member
A tumult of hosannas and allelulias! The adapter came off with a gentle insertion and uplift of a thin knife blade...couple of slight pries, and off it popped! Thanks to all for suggestions...much appreciated. Lens mount does not seem to be damaged...will give it a workout in the AM...close to midnight in South Florida. Now back to being a contributor.

Roy Benson

Knorp

A tumult of hosannas and allelulias! The adapter came off with a gentle insertion and uplift of a thin knife blade...couple of slight pries, and off it popped! Thanks to all for suggestions...much appreciated. Lens mount does not seem to be damaged...will give it a workout in the AM...close to midnight in South Florida. Now back to being a contributor.

Roy Benson
Hoorah! Good news at last, Roy.
Any idea what might have happened ? A defective adapter ? Wrong procedure ?
Surely you're not going to stick that :deadhorse: back on !

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Roy Benson
Glad to hear you solved the problem!

It sounds like the Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter ... You fit the adapter to the lens, then mount the lens on the body, but when you remove the lens, the adapter is locked into the K-mount on the body. It takes a thin knife or similar to slide into a tiny slot and unlatch it.

Odd design ... !