The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

K5 Price Drop

iiiNelson

There was a $100 price drop and $300 instant rebate (until 30 Nov 11) announced today on the K5. This tips the K5 a little more back into my favor for what will essentially be 2/3 the price of the A77 with RAW support right now. Kinda wanna see what the EVF will be like in person though first though.

Knorp

Nice price drop, not bad - not bad at all.
But if you have not decided yet, better wait for the A77 to arrive.
I wonder though why the price drop ? New model coming soon ?

Kind regards.

iiiNelson

I don't know... Just saw it on Facebook and noticed that B&H dropped their price too. Now the reality is that I've seen the price within $50 of this so it's not THAT huge really but if I manage to catch it in the $1000 range I might just jump on it. The lenses are nice and the M9 is still going to be the main camera. Just want something that can zoom/ autofocus (when needed) with a larger sensor/ great optics beyond the mirrorless stuff. May just stick with the G1 and wait it out or sell the NEX5 and get a NEX7 since it's in the same price range and has most of the A77 features. Who knows... It's a different story with me everyday.

ecsh

Its still at 1199.00. Thats the lowest i have seen for this body. Pentax USA just caught up to everyone else, thats all. This discount is only from them on full retail.
Joe

iiiNelson

That's the cheapest I've seen too but I've seen the body for $1249 before. So If I see it hit closer to $1000 or so I may jump on it.

engel001

I have been waiting patiently as I sold my K20D over a year and a half ago, orphaning my lenses. At around $1000 at www.buy.com with 3.5% fatwallet.com rebate, the price dropped under $1000, my target for this excellent camera. I was tempted by Sony Nex but didn't like the handling of the 5N. So this is going to be my compact camera for a while. Always liked Pentax, going back to ME and MX days.

engel001

I was thinking the same, but I'd rather have good ISO performance and dynamic range over resolution. It's plenty and I use other cameras (full frame)/backs (P65+) for high resolution.

Last edited:

Charles Wood

Likewise here, I have a 645D for my high resolution purposes. I use my K-5 for quick grab shots and night sky work. I don't want any additional loss of noise performance with a higher pixel sensor. In fact, for night sky work the new 18 meg FF Canon sensor with ISO capability up to 200K, seems awfully interesting. There might be a Canon body in my future once again.