Site Sponsors

Thread: Lots of Pentax Q shots now on Flickr….

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Pentax Q shots now on Flickr….

I must say, I am shocked how well the Sony sensor does. It's like the same miracle they pulled on the K-5 class, they pulled in the super ultra compact size class.

Pretty surprising. If I had no compact and I was shooting medium light to daylight, I would consider it. Looks like for low light you can do some things but it's more hard pressed. And Pentax's jpeg processing seems to have improved even though it loses detail but keeps color and tone.

I think the best way to see the Q is to view it as a "toy cam" that can produce some rather compelling tones, out of camera, don't bother with RAW and print no bigger than 8''x10''.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lots of Pentax Q shots now on Flickr….

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I must say, I am shocked how well the Sony sensor does. It's like the same miracle they pulled on the K-5 class, they pulled in the super ultra compact size class.

Pretty surprising. If I had no compact and I was shooting medium light to daylight, I would consider it. Looks like for low light you can do some things but it's more hard pressed. And Pentax's jpeg processing seems to have improved even though it loses detail but keeps color and tone.

I think the best way to see the Q is to view it as a "toy cam" that can produce some rather compelling tones, out of camera, don't bother with RAW and print no bigger than 8''x10''.

- Raist
    You are correct, except one thing, price. At this price, i can get a couple of very nice, capable compact cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly, though I think the differentiators for the Q are the size (still smaller), ergonomics (the way the buttons/dials are), the full DSLR style controls, the accessibility to experiment with filters. Also the build.

- Raist

mikoo

Pentax Q review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKX1gDdsmgo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
    Pentax Q review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKX1gDdsmgo
    Wow that Q is amazingly small
    Interesting times though: Olympus's EP-3, Sony's NEX-7, Fuji's X100/X10 and now Pentax's Q.

All the very best.
    Bart ...