The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need info on 645D for a friend

fotografz

A pro friend of mine is interested in going MFD, but these are tight financial times for many Pros, so he wants to keep it realistic.

I suggested the Pentax 645D ... but I have zero experience with it or Pentax for that matter.

Is this camera available in the USA from reputable and knowledgable dealers with good after sales support?

What AF lenses are available that work well with this camera? My pal isn't interested in manual focus, nor 3rd party adapted lenses ... but his lens needs are not great ... 35ish wide angle, normal, and a portrait lens.

How available are the cameras and AF lenses? What focal lengths are they?

Has the tethered in-studio issue been dealt with? This is not a deal breaker for him, but it IS a consideration.

What is the dynamic range of this camera compared to other 40 meg MFDs?

BTW, a fixed back is not an issue. He doesn't use a field camera and has no plans to use one.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

-Marc

benroy

Subscriber Member
Mark: two quick answers: I just purchased a 645D about a month ago from B&H...you don't get more reliable, reputable, knowledgeable, and supportive than B&H (IMO).

There are three AF lenses that I know to be available: the 25, 55, and the 45-85 zoom.
The 45-85 zoom I use and can recommend...all the rest of my 645 lenses are MF lenses (A).

The 645D is the whole package...back, viewfinder, grip...all one unit.

Hope this helps.

Roy Benson

Shashin

The lenses are good. The Pentax FA 35mm, DFA 55mm, and FA 120mm macro would be a good choice for your friend. The 55m can be had new, the others can be gotten new from some countries, secondhand in others. I have not had a problem getting lenses. Focal lengths with AF are 25mm, 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 75mm, 120mm, 150mm, 200mm, 300mm, and 400mm. There are some AF zooms--33-55mm, 45-85mm, 55-110mm, 80-160mm, 150-300mm. My experience has been the film lenses keep up with the sensor.

Since most 40MP MFD backs have the same sensor, I would expect little difference except for what the camera company can do with firmware. The Pentax has a top ISO of 1600 without binning which none of the other companies seem to give. And 1600 is very usable. There is also no limit to bulb exposure times.

I have seen Youtube videos showing an Eye-Fi card in one of the card slots for untethered studio shooting. The transfer times seem reasonable. Since you can split file types to card slots, you can also send JPEGs at different sizes to the Eye-Fi while putting the RAW on the other card. Another company has just announced another wireless SD card and so choices seem to be expanding.

Pentax also has a support program, but from what I have experienced and seen, the 645D has been a very reliable camera.

D

delander

Well I'm not a pro, dont live in the USA and only got my 645D a week ago. I bought the camera with 2 new lenses, the 55mm kit lens and a 75mm lens (very cheap). I find the write time to be quite slow, the DR to be very good (noticeably better than my M9). Working with the camera is a pleasure, hand holds very well and believe it or not sharp photos can be had at 1/25 sec. Lighter than a Hasselblad but heavier than a 1ds3. Menus are very easy and the display is excellent. I would recommend the 55mm kit lens for general purpose. Photo hand held at 1/25.

Jeff

Shashin

delander, and apparently the Pentax does not need the AF assist light like the one on the Hasselblad. ;)

D

delander

True, no focus assist light. I've used that Hasselblad H4D50 and it is a heavy camera, very well built and more of a handful than the Pentax. I get the feeling that I could use the Pentax on the street. Here is a crop to get a better idea of the sharpness at 1/25. ISO 500, quick and dirty, just messing about.

Jeff

Arjuna

That's what I thought too, and it is a Hasselblad - but it isn't a self-portrait taken in a mirror, which is what it looks like, but rather a picture of someone taking picture of the picture-taker (with a different camera), I think.

D

delander

No that is not me, but my mate and his Hasselblad, taken with my new Pentax.
Jeff