The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crazy: Pentax Q High ISO 6400 real world shot

raist3d

Yes, this looks noisy and grainy but for street life it works for me.

Found this today at Flickr. I must say it's *amazing* that such a tiny sensor is pulling this off. This is a real world high ISO shot. It's size reduced to 3 megapixels and it' still a JPEG, works for me with all the grain. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for to justify an LX5-> Q upgrade.

Small sample:

The 3 megapixel shot here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/6134273094_41e0fb1262_o.jpg

Note the exif: F1.9 and 1/10th of a second at ISO 6400.

I realize usually bright areas in a scene in all sensors tend to look better but consider the kind of exposure this still is. Say F2.8 1/10th of a second at ISO 6400 would take care of any highlights here, not that I find any issues as is anyway. They don't look really burned to me per se.

- Ricardo

PS: The photographer is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_urusov/

Terry

I'm trying to figure out the color...if the camera didn't hold it at 6400 or the user desaturated it before adding to flickr. Where is the camera being sold?

raist3d

It's a B&W shot afaik. From what I have seen though, the Pentax Q can hold some color surprisingly well going into higher ISO (1600-3200). Noisy yes but still.

- Raist

raist3d

I am going to do a test tonight with my LX5. I really want to avoid buying new cameras for a while. It has hurt my wallet and photography. I am definitively still interested in the mythical ultra compact that can get me decent street life so I am very interested in that shot. Maybe the Panny with the proper pushing can do it.

We'll see… tonight…

- Ricardo

raist3d

Check this one as another reference. This one is ISO 1000, F2.0, 1/60th. Still relatively low light. I mean the street life I shot a lot in Hollywood Bvld was ISO 1600 F3.5, 1/25th-1/30th. I think it's about equivalent or similar exposure. And afaik, again all JPEG:

I would say though, that's a shot I feel the LX5 could pull off also.

- Raist

raist3d

Well my LX5 did a reasonable job at ISO 6400 (ISO 3200 and pushed one stop) compared to the Pentax so I am not sure the Pentax Q would pull ahead or if they will be about a match. Looks like the Q still does a bit better, but with a little better I can't really justify the upgrade.

Will have to see more samples.

- Raist

raist3d

Saw from the photographer that the ISO 6400 image is converted from DNG. He gave me a link that I am asking if I can use it to the full size JPEG out of camera. It's still interesting.

- Raist

Terry

There looks to be some color in his self portrait flesh tones. I don't think it is a straight B&W but having the DNG will be helpful.

raist3d

There looks to be some color in his self portrait flesh tones. I don't think it is a straight B&W but having the DNG will be helpful.
You are right, it's not pure B&W. Saw the original full size JPEG and it has more of the expected color/WB. To my surprise no major chroma noise.

As for the DNG, I don't think we can have that :)

- Raist