The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone bought the "Q"

Martin S

The Q seems to be available. I wonder if anyone has bought it?? I have a very slight interest, but it seems a bit expensive for a (very) small sensor camera.
Any users, or buyers out there???

Martin

Martin S

I finally saw the "Q" at B+H. IT is tiny, but toy-like, It is probably an OK camera considering its tiny sensor, but for the price, I think that I will pass for now.

Martin

P.S. The lenses are incredibly small.

Bugleone

Last weekend I saw the 'Q' in several retail outlets and while I did not see anyone obviously buying, there was lots of interest from the "Oh! it's SO cute!" crowd, so it will probably do very well among the 'fuji x100 set'.....

bradhusick

Here's a shot taken with the standard lens at ISO 250, no adjustments made. Download it and play with it.

kdemas

I've had mine for a while now, very cool little camera. IQ is excellent in spite of the small sensor. The exceptionally weak IR filter makes it very very sharp.

It's built very well and it has a little "something" that just makes it fun to shoot with.

Here's one in low light in a restaurant.

jonoslack

Lovely photos kdemas.
thank you Brad - interesting comparison - 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other I'd say.

all the best

Pat Donnelly

Eventually, they will be part of a suite of cameras that will be used with my fave manual lenses, especially if they are small cameras. ;)

Their prices must fall first, so there are clearly useless!!!! Only a lunatic or Fuji lover could buy one! :ROTFL:

Those 135 film lenses that have very high resolution in the centre and massive fall off at the edges, will become very popular ...... :thumbs:

raist3d

I may actually get the Q. It's X10 or Q, or put a "place holder" for "LX5 next." Whichever camera I pick there, that's it for the next 5 years for me, as a pocket camera.

- Raist

bradhusick

Nice one, Carlos! I did like the Q but the image quality was just on par with the good compacts and the price with zoom lens was way above the others.

raist3d

Nice one, Carlos! I did like the Q but the image quality was just on par with the good compacts and the price with zoom lens was way above the others.
I personally think that misses the point of the Q. The Q is more about size, ergonomics, experimentation through the completely photographer centric ergonomics, interface, filters and lenses. It's a mini diana, yet it can punch above its weight a bit - it seems.

And from what I have seen at high ISO the Q does rise above the other compacts, except the X10. Seems like the RAWs can take some punishment and it still holds some darks without banding.

At least from what I have seen. It's not about the pixel peep- if it can do good prints to 8x10 it works in my book.

It's also built like a tank. Very well built.

- Raist

bradhusick

It's certainly well built, but at over $1000 for the prime + zoom, there are plenty of other options. You can nearly buy two X10s for the price, and one X10 just exceeds the Q in almost every way. Sure it's bigger, but not much once you decide to carry two lenses with the Q. Plus, the zoom is f/2.8-f/4.5 and the X10 stays at 2-2.8.

I really wanted to love the Q, but it's as if they got 80% of the way there and stopped. Sort of like the Porsche Panamera - pretty from the front, ugly as sin from the rear. ;)

Just a personal opinion.

jonoslack

I really wanted to love the Q, but it's as if they got 80% of the way there and stopped. Sort of like the Porsche Panamera - pretty from the front, ugly as sin from the rear. ;)

Just a personal opinion.
We were discussing this about cars today - the most important thing after the performance is the dashboard . . 'cos you look at it all the time.

If you own a Panamera, who cares what it's *** looks like (that's for the person behind you to worry about!).

raist3d

It's certainly well built, but at over $1000 for the prime + zoom, there are plenty of other options. You can nearly buy two X10s for the price, and one X10 just exceeds the Q in almost every way.
I am not so sure about that. I for one didn't quite like how the X10 felt compared to the Q when I held them. The Q is still indeed smaller, and some of us rather shoot primes so the zoom is a non issue (on the Q).

You also have other options like fish eye and if the Q mount moves forward, possibly even faster primes down the line (though I do not advise buying on potential).

The Q also seems to me better built than the Fuji being a unibody magnesium alloy- not that the X10 is badly built at all of course.

Sure it's bigger, but not much once you decide to carry two lenses with the Q. Plus, the zoom is f/2.8-f/4.5 and the X10 stays at 2-2.8.
Again, it depends. I don't care about the zoom. The prime lens is F1.9 all the time, just having that at that focal length is great as far as knowing you can never change that F. With the prime the Q is indeed quite smaller. You get other few things like sync to 1/250th with external flash, sync to 1/2000th with the internal flash (I wonder if it could really overpower the sun out at that flash sync for some interesting effect).

The Fuji top shutter speed is 1/4000th but not at full aperture. And it has no ND filter in it. The Q does have a 2 stop built in ND filter on both of the premium lenses and can go up all the way to 1/8000th of a second shutter speed. This means you can shoot wide open in full on daylight if necessary.

Another interesting tidbit- the Fuji X10 does ISO 6400 at 6 megapixels, or any of the S/N better noise modes. The Q always shooting at 12 MP, closes the noise gap to the Fuji if we make such comparison as it would have to be resized down to 6 MP…. so it may not be big of a gap as one may think on first pass…

Built in intervalometer (not all will use this but it sure encourages some interesting possibilities). Quick dial for access to "films" that you may have found or done.

Another key thing: the latest firmware upgrade for both lens and Q shortened the startup time and increased the AF speed considerably- it's what is being reported around. I would love of course to know by how much.

I feel the interface of the Q is much more photographer centric than Fuji's. Manual focusing seems ergonomically much better than having to turn that wheel around the four buttons.

I am not sure Fuji is all pretty on the back honestly. I think they got the front very right- no cheesy logos or anything but the back imho has more buttons than necessary, something that in a way the X100 also did.

Just a personal opinion.
No problem. Mine is also my personal opinion. And I want to make clear that what I am saying should not be taken as if I think the X10 is a bad camera. I really think it's one of the very best compacts around. Fuji nailed many things right and it's no surprise it's running out of stock. Good for them, it's about time they use their good technology in a good product. I was always a fan of the F700/F710 and I said back then (this is like 5+ years ago) why not do a premium compact camera and this is it.

What I posted is more about raising the Q to a class that I think it's not being raised due to some key points I believe are missed or simply dismissed for not applying individually. Just because a camera isn't right for me doesn't mean it has to be less or bad.

There's just something about that Q… we'll see… we'll see how much the operational speed has improved.. hopefully soon :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

We were discussing this about cars today - the most important thing after the performance is the dashboard . . 'cos you look at it all the time.

If you own a Panamera, who cares what it's *** looks like (that's for the person behind you to worry about!).
In my opinion the Q from behind looks great! :) It's so photographer centric of an interface. Tripod aligned with lens, and you can remove battery and memory card without taking it off. Just little details like that, that makes you realize Pentax knows what a photographer workflow is like.

To me the X10 would look excellent from the back if they removed the vertical column of buttons on the left, and removed the circle-dial wheel around those buttons (I would say that about *everyone* using that dreaded wheel though).

Check out Fuji's own F710:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/FinePix-F710-Zoom_back.jpg

Sure it has some buttons on the left but they are very key to the point and out of the way of a little rest there. And ONE dial. I don't understand why have two like the X10.

Look where the C-DAF button goes (fine on the X10 also):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/FinePix-F710-Zoom_front-ope.jpg

Going back to that X10:

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2011/08/31/8762517/FujiX10Back.jpg

Maybe put the RAW button on the lower left (having then ONE button on the left side of the camera), move the play, AE, AF to the top where it says made in Japan (and replace the made in Japan where those buttons where). Move the WB button where the RAW button was on the right side (so you only put two buttons at the top of the LCD). Take out the damned circle wheel.

Maybe I need to use it for longer.

- Ricardo

Last edited: