The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Willie Nelson shot with the K5

Here is a shot I took of Willie Nelson at his concert tonight at Billy Bob's Texas in Forth Worth. It's late and this is the only shot I have worked on. Concert ended a little after midnight and I got home at 1am... it's now 2:20 am... gotta sleep... more tomorrow. Just wanted to share this one.

K5 did a great job at the concert. I used only one lens, the DA * 50-135.
ISO 400 f/4 @ 1/80s

Knorp

Awesome shot and PP, Jim ! Hope to see some more of this concert outing.

I'm still considering the 50-135 ... :confused:
All the very best.

raist3d

That is really good. Great tones and color. One of the best shots I have seen you do with the K-5.

- Ricardo

benroy

Subscriber Member
That's a very fine shot of Willie Nelson, Jim. Lighting and color are excellent.

Bart: I can strongly recommend the 50-135 lens...Jim's shot also serves as a recommendation.

Roy Benson

This shows how tired I was last night.. this probably should have gone in the fun with.. thread.

Just getting back from domestic stuff with the wife.. may be able to post some more of Willie later... have to see how the day and evening progresses.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This shows how tired I was last night.. this probably should have gone in the fun with.. thread.

Just getting back from domestic stuff with the wife.. may be able to post some more of Willie later... have to see how the day and evening progresses.
Lets print that one!

Bob

Here is one more from Willie's concert last night.. had to get a bit closer for this one. Willie has a tendency to look down while he plays and he also closes his eyes a lot... lucky to get this one.

Thanks for all the comments. Willie is somewhat difficult to shoot because he always seems to have his lighting guy bathe him in red/orange light or blue... neither of these colors is going to help with a good shot so I end up waiting for those extremely brief moments when pure light, not colored, is in the mix as well.

Thanks again for the comments.

Knorp

A very powerful portrait and IMO an almost iconic shot, Jim.
But what is this headband about ?
I can read something like 'phases' and 'always on my mind'.
Any idea ?

Kind regards.

A very powerful portrait and IMO an almost iconic shot, Jim.
But what is this headband about ?
I can read something like 'phases' and 'always on my mind'.
Any idea ?

Kind regards.
Thanks... the headband is part of Willie's persona.. it is what he wears most of the time. The headband contains the names of songs and possibly photos of Willie through they years or band members, etc.. He often will toss them into the audience.

That red, white and blue guitar strap is also part of his "uniform". He must own a ton of them because as long as I can remember he has worn that style strap on his guitar.

Willie pretty much does the same show everywhere, lots of family members and the songs that made him famous. Every now and then he will sing something new as he did the other night but most people come for the classics and Willie never, ever disappoints them.

He is an American icon and as such he really just has to sing his classics and no one will ever complain.