The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX K-5 Silver Special Edition Package

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart,

May I ask, what do you like about shooting the Pentax K-5?
I see quite a few names here of folks I first noticed on other fora.

Thanks, K-H.

Knorp

Hi Bart,

May I ask, what do you like about shooting the Pentax K-5?
I see quite a few names here of folks I first noticed on other fora.

Thanks, K-H.
Good question: when it arrived it's (Sony) sensor was, still is, pretty neat with excellent DR and low well controlled high-ISO noise-levels. It's compact size, excellent ergonomics, straight-forward menu lay-out, weather-sealed body and lenses, are adding to the attraction of this system. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. Wouldn't I like a Nikon or Canon better ? Sorry, can't tell you ... :eek:

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply.
I think you also shoot Leica gear.
How does image quality compare?

Regards, K-H.

Knorp

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards, K-H.
Mmm, oh dear - now you've got me cornered ... :facesmack: But here goes.
Now the magic is in the lenses of course and combined with that absolutely brilliant Kodak CCD sensor the package, to my eye, produces images that my K5 can hardly match and certainly not surpass.
And that's just as well ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

tsjanik

Press Release: PENTAX K-5 SILVER SPECIAL EDITION AN EXCLUSIVE LIMITED-EDITION CAMERA PACKAGE FEATURING A MARC NEWSON-DESIGNED ULTRA-THIN LENS
Pentax's efforts at becoming a fashion accessory make me a bit uncomfortable.

.....absolutely brilliant Kodak CCD sensor .....
Interesting Bart, in my limited experience with digital, I find I prefer those cameras with a CCD sensor. Are you aware of any studies that compare the "look" produced by different sensor types?

Tom

Knorp

Pentax's efforts at becoming a fashion accessory make me a bit uncomfortable.
Really ? Well since Leica M is my main system I feel rather comfortable by these practices ... :ROTFL:

Interesting Bart, in my limited experience with digital, I find I prefer those cameras with a CCD sensor. Are you aware of any studies that compare the "look" produced by different sensor types?
I'm pretty sure there are studies out there, try your favourite search engine, but none in particular I can point out to you.

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards, K-H.
Hi There
Well . . . . . I no longer have a K5, but I often regret it's passing - it's a fine camera, producing lovely images with great colour and very good high ISO.

I also shoot Leica, and prefer the Leica files, but I suspect that it's more to do with the lack of an AA filter than the characteristics of a CCD rather than a CMOS sensor.

My only criticism of the Pentax (and why I got out of it) was that I found a lot of variability in the quality of the lenses - but perhaps I was just unlucky!

all the best