The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX K-01: initial hands-on impressions

V

Vivek

why would anybody buy that camera instead of a kx or k5
That is just one of the whys I have about the K-01. :)

I am shocked that the test writers did not go for the canary yellow paint version.

jonoslack

Is that the best you can do?
I actually rather like the look of it . .. but no viewfinder of any sort?

Knorp

Is that the best you can do?
I actually rather like the look of it . .. but no viewfinder of any sort?
Apparently, Pentax has no viewfinder in mind for the K-01.
Maybe they'll change their minds if we start yelling at them ?
The design seems absolutely fab to me, though.

Let's wait for the K3 ... :chug:

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Apparently, Pentax has no viewfinder in mind for the K-01.
Maybe they'll change their minds if we start yelling at them ?
The design seems absolutely fab to me, though.

Let's wait for the K3 ... :chug:

Kind regards.
No focus peaking+No viewfinder = No Purchase!
:poke:
However pretty it might be

I'm not sure how they can change their mind though.

I'm editing this - Tom pointed out that I'm WRONG ABOUT FOCUS PEAKING - I'll leave in the original message so as not to make his look odd.

so it's just:

no viewfinder = No Purchase :)

Last edited:

tsjanik

No focus peaking+No viewfinder = No Purchase!
:poke:
Jono:

From the review (my bold):
"The K-01's core menu system is very similar to that of the K-r, thought(sic) it incorporates many new innovative features, including new custom image presets, focus peaking, AF enlargement,...."

Still, of little interest to me, perhaps the next iteration.

Tom

jonoslack

Jono:

From the review (my bold):
"The K-01's core menu system is very similar to that of the K-r, thought(sic) it incorporates many new innovative features, including new custom image presets, focus peaking, AF enlargement,...."

Still, of little interest to me, perhaps the next iteration.

Tom
HI Tom
Thank you for correcting me - definitely ME BAD (I was thinking of Fuji)
all the best

k-hawinkler

Hi,

If Sony and Pentax are offering focus peaking, so, couldn't other companies, like Fuji, do the same? Or do patent rights get in the way?

I find focus peaking more useful than the green dot focus confirmation in my Nikon cameras that forces one to look to the side and take the eye off the subject.

Regards, K-H.

jonoslack

Hi,

If Sony and Pentax are offering focus peaking, so, couldn't other companies, like Fuji, do the same? Or do patent rights get in the way?

I find focus peaking more useful than the green dot focus confirmation in my Nikon cameras that forces one to look to the side and take the eye off the subject.

Regards, K-H.
I don't think there's a patent problem - just that it costs a bit to develop I guess. Fuji and Olympus don't seem to think it's worth the effort. I think they're wrong! and obviously you do too.

k-hawinkler

I don't think there's a patent problem - just that it costs a bit to develop I guess. Fuji and Olympus don't seem to think it's worth the effort. I think they're wrong! and obviously you do too.
Hi,

Thanks. I agree. We live in very interesting times, hopefully at the beginning of combining optical viewfinders with electronically displayed information in very novel and creative ways. Both, optical and electronic information overlaid in the same window seems to have a lot of potential. It will probably take a few iterations until a consensus will finally emerge.

At this stage of technical evolution I am certainly not willing to give up on optical viewfinders. However, it seems those optical viewfinders could be improved with electronic displays - similarly to head up displays of pilots.

Regards, K-H.