The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Noktax (50/1.2)

ashwinrao1

These are stunning, Bart. Fantastic demonstration of this lens...it'll be sure to drive up the lens lust ;)

Best,
Ashwin

OlliL

Exactly Ash and that's why I have to ask for some more shots, focused on objects about 2-3m away at f1.2. :)
Thinking about getting it for a portrait set-up.

The macro stuff looks awesome too, but that won't be my primary field of use.

Knorp

Not much in the 2-3 mtr range here, I'm afraid.
Here a few of the this time of the year 'obligatory' cherry blossom shots.
First two @ f/1.2 , last @ f/2.8 (probably).

N

nickthetasmaniac

I recently sold a lovely K-50/f1.2 that I'd been using for about 6 months adapter on a GH2 and also on a K-7 and LX.

It's a good lens (build quality especially is stunning) but you pay an big premium for the f1.2, and in my mind the M-50/f1.4 is better at every aperture they share. The f1.2 just doesn't have the clarity and 'crispness' that you get with the M stopped down (perhaps because of the extra glass?).

Anyway, here's a few from my time time with the K :)

And mounted on my mate's EPL2 (not the best ergonomic match...)

Knorp

Nick, a fine series you're showing here and i'd say too bad you sold the lens !
I think it's just gorgeous ... :p

Kind regards.

mediumcool

I have a recently-bought 50mm M-series f1.4 ($69 AU!), and it’s quite soft (in a flary way) wide open. Extra sharpening and Clarity in C1 assists, but stopped down it’s excellent. Just need to make some samples good enough to post here.

Pity Adelaide is not as pretty as Amsterdam! :(

Knorp

I have a recently-bought 50mm M-series f1.4 ($69 AU!), and it’s quite soft (in a flary way) wide open. Extra sharpening and Clarity in C1 assists, but stopped down it’s excellent. Just need to make some samples good enough to post here.

Pity Adelaide is not as pretty as Amsterdam! :(
Hi there Ian,

that lens seems to be a bargain. Silas Slack (Jono's son) also recently bought a 50/1.4 but that's a PENTAX-A.
Perhaps the coating is different and more flare resistant.
Do you use a lens hood ?

Anyhow, looking forward to your posts.

Kind regards.

mediumcool

Hi there Ian,
that lens seems to be a bargain. Silas Slack (Jono's son) also recently bought a 50/1.4 but that's a PENTAX-A.
Perhaps the coating is different and more flare resistant.
Do you use a lens hood ?
No hood but lighting was overcast in the shot shown below (100% view from C1). Also need to find a microfibre cloth that came with one of my Macs to get the front element really clean!

Quite like the glow!

mediumcool

Here is the full frame. I think I will treat this lens as a great 50mm f2, and a special effects lens at f1.4. No regrets at $69!

Knorp

No hood but lighting was overcast in the shot shown below (100% view from C1). Also need to find a microfibre cloth that came with one of my Macs to get the front element really clean!

Quite like the glow!
Ian, then cleaning should have top priority, also check the back element.
But really, if the lens is prone to flare, better use a hood at all times.
That said, I have a Leica 35/1.4 Summilux-M (pre-aspherical) and wide open the glow is overwhelming.
But some like it that way ...

All the best.

mediumcool

Ian, then cleaning should have top priority, also check the back element.
But really, if the lens is prone to flare, better use a hood at all times.
That said, I have a Leica 35/1.4 Summilux-M (pre-aspherical) and wide open the glow is overwhelming.
But some like it that way ...
No, it’s uncorrected spherical aberration (or similar) because it improves greatly with stopping down (nowt to do with sky bounce, etc.). Sample of SA with a Mamiya lens (look at the right side to see the glow—quite subtle).

mediumcool

Hi all. I have just put up a few shots taken with my M-series 50/1.4, in the K5 thread, along with two from my eBay-sourced Vivitar 28mm f2.