Site Sponsors

Thread: Pentax K-5 II/IIs

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Pentax K-5 II/IIs

Looks like another maker is taking notice to offering cameras with and without AA filters. Looks great on paper and if they get the reliability down with the K5 and K-mount lenses then this can be a better dSLR option.

Pentax Ricoh announces Pentax K-5 II DSLR and K-5 IIs with no low-pass filter: Digital Photography Review
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax K-5 II/IIs

I am committed to Pentax (K-5) and look forward to reviews of the AA filter-free version, based on my experience with my Leaf Aptus.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well. I've just read about this in a Greek taverna having breakfast, and my immediate reaction is Hell Yes!
    I can't think of anything more likely to drag me back to Pentax. The connection with Ricoh was the first step. Silas getting one was the second. This might be the last straw. I just wish that they could improve the QA on the DA* lenses.
    Anyway. Greetings from Greece.
    I'm off to the beach

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well. I've just read about this in a Greek taverna having breakfast, and my immediate reaction is Hell Yes!
    I can't think of anything more likely to drag me back to Pentax. The connection with Ricoh was the first step. Silas getting one was the second. This might be the last straw. I just wish that they could improve the QA on the DA* lenses.
    I'm off to the beach
    LOL - now don't tell me you're thinking of taking your OMDs to the Bay ...

But agreed, I'd love a K5-IIs too ...
    All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. I've been selling my Pentax stuff off as I drifted into semi retirement, just kept the 15, 40 and 70 Limited's to keep Alamy submissions going. Thinking now is Nikon V1 as they accept the files and lenses are cheap and good enough. However, will await Photokina just in case the GH3 is cheap, but I know it won't be. So "Deep in my heart I know there's no escape"
    Will get Mr Dylans new Album and find some new words to quote
    David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm off to the beach
    Jono, that was my thought exactly regarding the QA. I wanted to find every reason to give Pentax my money towards a K5 but I couldn't shake that unsettling feeling of questionable reliability out of the box on new products. This drove me to the A77 eventually (which I am very happy with no doubt) but I have no real need or desire for 24 megapixels in a cropped sensor personally. Hopefully Sony will announce a AA filterless model at Photokina but I'm not holding my breath... AT ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I welcome Pentax´s move and I wonder when Canon and the others will follow. Put less in a camera and charge more - normally any acountant in those companies MUST love this, it´s so obvious and a leftover from old nonadvanced sensor days that was overdue to be cut anyway.

PENTAX - K-5 IIs

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Unless Pentax still has something in their sleeve for Photokina (no FF, but perhaps the rumored 24 mpix APS-C camera), frankly these products sound like they're just playing time. Improved AF over the K-5? Well, should've been this to begin with, except that it still only sports 11 AF points. The AA filterless model is vaguely interesting, but it remains to be seen if it rocks or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    … frankly these products sound like they're just playing time [sic]. Improved AF over the K-5? Well, should've been this to begin with, except that it still only sports 11 AF points.
    How many does one need?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm off to the beach
    But, but... you said you had settled for the OM-Dum dee dum...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    How many does one need?
    Not sure how many people "need" but the first thing I usually do is center weight my cameras with autofocus on one point. My main camera is an M9 though. Maybe I'm not qualified to say sooooo...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I welcome Pentax´s move and I wonder when Canon and the others will follow. Put less in a camera and charge more - normally any acountant in those companies MUST love this, it´s so obvious and a leftover from old nonadvanced sensor days that was overdue to be cut anyway.

PENTAX - K-5 IIs

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Having used the original K5 and also "modern" sensor like the Nex7 I would prefer the old sensor in the K5 in regards to color and noise behavior any day.
    When I sold the K5 the main reason for me was the AF which I found inconsistent.
    IMO evolutionary improvements are sometimes more important than trying to present something totally new all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    When I sold the K5 the main reason for me was the AF which I found inconsistent.
    Interesting. After nearly six months’ use, I find my K-5 works pretty well focus-wise, with AF, and MF lenses using focus confirmation.