The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reviews Pentax K-5 II/IIs

Knorp

What I see (at 200%):
There is a whopping improvement in micro contrast and detail between the K5 and the K5ll. Just a titch of improvement in the K5lls over the K5ll

Keith
Indeed, there's certainly improvement to be seen in the K5IIs' samples over the others.
Did I say I like a silver body ?
:chug:

All the best.

Knorp

Well, I can't decide whether it would be worth it for me to "Upgrade" to the K5 IIs at this time or not. My logic says no... wait for more samples, wait for price drop, wait for any "undcoumented features" to show themselves.

My biggest complaint about the K5 I own is the accuracy of the AF. My eyes are to old to manual focus all the time and unless the AF is improved on the new camera then I doubt the increased sharpness will be of any benefit.

On another note, all of my Ltd lenses have required micro-adjustment to obtain critical focus. Both of my DA* lenses have had to have +10 dialed in to boot. Makes me wonder about the quality control of the Pentax lens production line.

For now, I'll keep the K5 and use it in conjunction with the Fuji X-Pro1 and my trusty GH2... but as I said, the AF on my K5 has not lived up to expectations.
Hi there Jim,

can't agree more on what you're pointing out here, still I love the package and the images it produces.
To me the the K5IIs seems very tempting by its lack of an AA filter, but AF is a thing of concern and I'm not convinced (yet) it has been improved enough to make the plunge.
But perhaps a silver body will push me over the edge ... :loco:

All the best.

raist3d

I fear that an Olympus 4/3 camera with the same feature set as the K5, coupled with the ergonomics and sensible menu layout, might cost twice as much - the lenses too.
The DA Limiteds are also a huge drawing factor for me (and dare I mention K-01 as a companion?)
My Q is also a lot more useable now I have IS for manual lenses, focus peaking, and a good K to Q adapter.
I like Pentax (and I like Ricoh too - nothing but good can come of this marriage, and we are seeing slow signs of that already)

Keith
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think Pentax with Ricoh has a nice future even as niche. At least I hope so. The only reason I would consider going back to Olympus (with the conditions stipulated above) is that I have several 4/3rd lenses and three of their flashes (two of them their high end remotes). It's given that, that I think about it, and I would imagine they may get AF done better.

But hey, I love my Q. I don't know if you have noticed :) It's the camera I am using in the last months *for everything* I am doing pretty much.

Even if I got an Olympus driving my 4/3rd lenses that would probably be the wedding/paid work, not my personal work.

Pentax confirmed already the successor to the Q10 is being worked on- surprise- the Q line is actually selling. I think I am going to wait for the one after Q10- that way I get a more noticeable upgrade and wait out a generation.

- Raist

PS: And to be frank, I have put a brake to upgrading. I am seeing some people in this very thread who had a K-5, bought another "greatest and latest camera" and now are considering a K-5IIs. It's their cash but honestly- seriously guys? :) I can understand someone who stuck with the K-5 and just wants more accurate AF.

Last edited: