The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With The K30

Craftysnapper

My Pentax K30 just arrived a couple of hours ago, lousy very dull light so just a quick ten minutes in the garden to test it out and a couple indoors, I mean you have to don't you.;)

All taken with the kit lenses and handheld.

My initial thoughts are that it is a big improvement on the K-r and handles very well and all in all it is a very traditional photographers camera which suits me.:) My biggest disapoint is that CaptureOne does not yet support the raw files.

My better half who was not to pleased I had taken it.:eek:

ISO 12800 f/8 @ 1/60sec 200mm

Gabe ISO 12800 f/8 @ 1/60sec 55mm

ISO 800, f/5.6 @ 1/200sec, 125mm

ISO 800, f/8 @ 1/100sec, 55mm

ISO 3200, f/701 @ 1/250sec, 200mm

Better images to come I hope when the weather improves.:)

Knorp

Paul,

Congratulations with your new kit and a fine start it is ... :)

Happy shooting !

Craftysnapper

Still waiting for some decent light, so for now my two scruffy chihuahua's Gabriel and Bella from today damp and dreary walk.

DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR ISO 1600, 1/320 @ f8

DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR ISO 2000, 1/320 @ f8

Last edited:

Elliot

More nice shots. I see the focal length as 300mm -- are these a prime 300 or the 55-300 DA lens?

I almost snapped up a K-30 but then started thinking about the K-5 cameras on sale. So far, I took some pictures with my m4/3 Olympus, both the 20mm Panasonic and 45mm Olympus lenses, and marveled at how good they can be. I saw your work with the E-PL3 and Olympus 45 lens and it is excellent with that equipment as well.

Knorp

Really beautiful shots, Paul. Well done !
You sure know how to select and capture your subjects :thumbs:

All the best

jonoslack

Hi Paul
These are great - excellent photos, you can't blame the camera for how good they are!

With Respect to RAW files and Capture - can't you save the raw files as DNG . . . then Capture should read them okay?

all the best

Craftysnapper

Thank you Knorp and Jono. :)

However, it doesn't appear in the supported camera list ... :confused:
The K-30 only shoots DNG and not PEF and it will open the Pentax DNG file but CO7 definitely does not support them...and yes that is blue water and sky!

Knorp

T
The K-30 only shoots DNG and not PEF and it will open the Pentax DNG file but CO7 definitely does not support them...and yes that is blue water and sky!
Well, could be Mars though ... :loco:

But did you try ICC Profile under Base Characteristics ?
Perhaps you can do a bit of experimenting with different camera profiles.
I'd try Pentax K5 Generic V2 first.
Give it a go !

All the best.

Craftysnapper

Well, could be Mars though ... :loco:

But did you try ICC Profile under Base Characteristics ?
Perhaps you can do a bit of experimenting with different camera profiles.
I'd try Pentax K5 Generic V2 first.
Give it a go !

All the best.
Tried them all and even using the advanced colour editor in conjunction with the WB tools but its a no go.

I also have LR4 which I am using just for the K-30 at the moment as it works fine with the K-30's DNG's as does ACDSee Pro 6 (which I never use for raw convesion).

But the new CO7 engine really does it better for me so I am hoping it is not long before CO comes out with a profile for it.

Craftysnapper

A few more from the other day.

It seems to be better at tracking moving objects in CA if you expand the Af area.

A quick candid grab shot.

My favourite heron was back on his favourite perch again.