The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Pentax MX-1

raist3d

I really like the idea, I just wish it used a bigger sensor to differentiate it more from the Q. I guess it's all about the idea of getting a camera + lens (forever) and the looks/ergonomics.

- Raist

MalcolmP

Just got the MX1.I bought it as a pocketable/easy to carry 1 lens compact.
£350 from LCE.
I back to back tested it against the Canon G15,FujiX20.
The build quality is imho(as,please bear in mind most of this is)very good.Brass top and bottom plate and well made inbetween.
Ergonomics are superb,I find my sausage like fingers come to rest in accomadating places.
Enough features to keep me happy and Pentax's/Ricoh's photographer based ethos remains(even in this compact).Very intuitive/sensible to use.
The looks are cool,nothing new retro but cool nonetheless.
The screen is fantastic for a compact,around 100% better than some of its rivals.All in all a joy to use.I'm not going to put other camera's down in an effort to big the MX1 up but the above points don't apply to all.
Downsides/poor thought-strap position pins make the camera tilt backwards.too short a supplied strap to get far enough away to see the screen,no front function wheel for truly dedicated function,no viewfinder.
I don't care about the first,I'll fit a longer strap to address the second,3rd-ho hum,4th-its a compact!
I'm sure its not the best-Sony R100 thingy is by all accounts the muts £$%.-more money though! Its not the only one but it is (imho) a hidden jem.It will remain hidden I'm sure(I really hate this phrase but it seems to suit)Whatever!as long as they keep on keeping on:toocool:
Anywho I'm not the ideal guy for anyone to judge from(too many weird pics and processing) but if you want a high end take anywhere compact that doesn't feel like a toy then include it in your shortlist.
Raist-Hi,sensor is approx. 50% mm2 bigger than the Q(I think):).
Cheers
Malc

Last edited:

viablex1

Just got the MX1.I bought it as a pocketable/easy to carry 1 lens compact.
£350 from LCE.
I back to back tested it against the Canon G15,FujiX20.
The build quality is imho(as,please bear in mind most of this is)very good.Brass top and bottom plate and well made inbetween.
Ergonomics are superb,I find my sausage like fingers come to rest in accomadating places.
Enough features to keep me happy and Pentax's/Ricoh's photographer based ethos remains(even in this compact).Very intuitive/sensible to use.
The looks are cool,nothing new retro but cool nonetheless.
The screen is fantastic for a compact,around 100% better than some of its rivals.All in all a joy to use.I'm not going to put other camera's down in an effort to big the MX1 up but the above points don't apply to all.
Downsides/poor thought-strap position pins make the camera tilt backwards.too short a supplied strap to get far enough away to see the screen,no front function wheel for truly dedicated function,no viewfinder.
I don't care about the first,I'll fit a longer strap to address the second,3rd-ho hum,4th-its a compact!
I'm sure its not the best-Sony R100 thingy is by all accounts the muts £$%.-more money though! Its not the only one but it is (imho) a hidden jem.It will remain hidden I'm sure(I really hate this phrase but it seems to suit)Whatever!as long as they keep on keeping on:toocool:
Anywho I'm not the ideal guy for anyone to judge from(too many weird pics and processing) but if you want a high end take anywhere compact that doesn't feel like a toy then include it in your shortlist.
Raist-Hi,sensor is approx. 50% mm2 bigger than the Q(I think):).
Cheers
Malc
Oh my god I still haven't made it past sausage fingers!!!!!!!!!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

MalcolmP

A few from last weekend on a trip to London to see Roger Waters perform the WALL at Wembley Stadium .Simply a brilliant gig ! Crazy iso's for a compact but it does the job. Tried my first in-camera pano , seems to auto set to f2.8 I'll have a look in the manual to see if that's adjustable , that said it didn't seem a problem:)and a few other shots. Growing rather fond of this useable little camera!
Regards
Malcolm

raist3d

I must say the MX-1 is a better tool than I originally thought. It really has a nice lens, it's very affordable and has like the Q, the K-5 feature set DNA.