The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attn Jim: Fuji mount vs K-5IIs

The Ricoh GR is great and fantastic but I am not a wide angle street shooter. If I was, I would have bought it and called it done.

So I would say if you like shooting at 28mm/35mm and you are a street shooter, go for it.

- Ricardo
I am really close to buy it. But since I am a big fan of the Pentax K5IIs IQ, I do not want to invest that kind of money until I am sure, that it is the same sensor and iternal processing for colour and noise, which I like so much.

Price for the K5IIs falls continiously...

Does anybody has both and can tell something about it?

I would have to say the nod goes to the K5 IIs. The reasons are quite simple. The K5 IIs is more versatile than the X-Pro1. By more versatile I mean that it will work in all situations that may be presented to me: Action, low light, bad weather, Etc. Throw in the in-camera adjustments and features such as built in HDR capability and it, for my needs, is the more versatile of the two cameras. I don't do a lot of video and when I do, I go to the Panasonic GH2 over both the K5 IIs and the X-Pro1.

The AF is faster on the K5 IIs, it is weather sealed, has good RAW support and a very good selection/variety of lenses available for it.

And last but not least... I prefer the through the lens optical viewfinder of the K5 IIs to using the EVF or the optical frame system on the Fuji.

I like them both but the K5 IIs, in my opinion and based on my needs, is the better choice for me. That said, I plan on keeping and using both.
I now have to amend my original comment. I still prefer the K5 IIs to the Fuji X-Pro1.. but now that I have the Fuji X-T1, I have to say that I prefer using it to the K5 IIs. It has features the Pentax will never have (as a DSLR).. the ability to see exactly how your adjustments to aperture, ISO, shutter speed will impact your photo (either through that amazing EVF or the LCD on the back) is a game changer for me.

Am I keeping the Pentax and lenses? Yep.. because the Pentax is by no means lacking in IQ and it is better for action shots and some of the astrophotography I do.... AND.. the 31, 43 and 77 work beautifully on the Fuji as well, thanks to focus peaking.

Just thought I would update this thread with my thoughts.

raist3d

Thanks for the update Jim, appreciated. I have converged to smaller and in the ideal world I want that smaller to cover everything, but was willing to split in two systems. Looks like I may be sticking with an A6000 for a bit.

- Ricardo