The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Renaming the Pentax forum

Good morning all

Since Ricoh has purchased the Pentax camera division, would it not be appropriate to incorporate the Ricoh name into the Pentax forums title?

Paul

Shashin

Yes, this forum should be for both Ricoh and Pentax cameras. It would give at least some legitimacy to the Ricoh cameras, upgrading them from simply "other." And since Ricoh owns Pentax, Pentax as an independent company is dead. (We have a Sony forum, not Konica Minolta forum.)

raist3d

I am cool with Pentax Ricoh. Kill the name Pentax and just Ricoh would be imho, a ridiculous mistake particularly when Ricoh themselves mentioned they will and are pushing the Pentax brand name in their own right.

Ricoh also merged the Ricoh camera division *into* Pentax, not the other way around.

Also to strongly disagree with Shashin- Sony decidedly killed Minolta as a brandname to use with their camera. Ricoh is doing exactly the opposite. Two very different outcomes, you can't even begin to compare it.

If it was up to your classification Pentax would have been long dead, as Hoya owned it before. This doesn't make sense.

- Ricardo

Knorp

One could argue: "what's in a name?"

Still, my camera clearly reads "PENTAX" ...

:deadhorse:

All the best.

I am cool with Pentax Ricoh. Kill the name Pentax and just Ricoh would be imho, a ridiculous mistake particularly when Ricoh themselves mentioned they will and are pushing the Pentax brand name in their own right.

Ricoh also merged the Ricoh camera division *into* Pentax, not the other way around.

Also to strongly disagree with Shashin- Sony decidedly killed Minolta as a brandname to use with their camera. Ricoh is doing exactly the opposite. Two very different outcomes, you can't even begin to compare it.

If it was up to your classification Pentax would have been long dead, as Hoya owned it before. This doesn't make sense.

- Ricardo
Original poster here

I think Pentax Ricoh would be a fine forum name. I don't think that Ricoh wants the Pentax name to go away, nor should they. Pentax has manufactured photographic equipment for a long time and built a good reputation among it's customers. A respected brand name does not come easily, and should not be casually discarded.

The main purpose of a proposed new forum name would be to give GetDPI Ricoh owners a dedicated venue rather than having to search through the "Other Cameras" or "Small Sensor Cameras" forums to communicate.

Paul

Last edited:
V

Vivek

There is nothing to search through. It is just a matter of activity.

If to take Ricardo and Bart out of this section, then....

raist3d

Original poster here

I think Pentax Ricoh would be a fine forum name. I don't think that Ricoh wants the Pentax name to go away, nor should they.
No need to think, it is what Ricoh themselves stated publicly already.

Pentax has manufactured photographic equipment for a long time and built a good reputation among it's customers. A respected brand name does not come easily, and should not be casually discarded.
Which is why Ricoh stated they have no plans to do so but the contrary, to push the brand further.

The main purpose of a proposed new forum name would be to give GetDPI Ricoh owners a dedicated venue rather than having to search through the "Other Cameras" or "Small Sensor Cameras" forums to communicate.

Paul
Maybe a Ricoh forum may be a good idea too? I don't mind Pentax Ricoh.

- Ricardo

Knorp

Paul

Hi Paul,

in all fairness, this seems to me as a viable reason to provide a 'home' to the Ricoh owners.
Would others still object to this ?

All the very best.

V

Vivek

Not sure what you mean.

- Ricardo
The most activity on this section is about a name and on this thread. You figure it out.

Instead of renaming, how about merging this board with the "other cameras" so that the odd posts can get some traction on the back of Ricoh or Sigma? :p

raist3d

The most activity on this section is about a name and on this thread. You figure it out.
I don't need to figure out anything. You are making a claim and the claim is not even clear. What you mean the most activity on this section is about a name and on this thread? How many other threads are out there that have activity? I am sorry, but maybe you mean something else, but what seems you are suggesting simply does not even remotely begin to make sense.

I welcome any explicit clarifications as to what you are really suggesting. This forum certainly has other threads with more activity than this thread.

Instead of renaming, how about merging this board with the "other cameras" so that the odd posts can get some traction on the back of Ricoh or Sigma? :p
Sorry, but this paragraph invites the thought that you are simply trolling with no meaningful contribution to make. Surely that's not what you mean?

- Ricardo

raist3d

Me too.
To stirr things up a little, officially it should be Ricoh Pentax.

(How many cameras are under the M4/3 umbrella)
The reason I suggested Pentax Ricoh is because that's how the company (i.e. Ricoh) themselves refers to the Pentax subidiary.

For example:

PENTAX - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEFINES THE ADVANCED COMPACT SEGMENT WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF THE RICOH GR CAMERA

"APRIL 16, 2013
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEFINES THE ADVANCED COMPACT SEGMENT WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF THE RICOH GR CAMERA"

You can see all the different Pentax Ricoh divisions of the Pentax Ricoh Imaging LTD subsidiary:

Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. / News Release | Ricoh Global

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

I don't need to figure out anything. You are making a claim and the claim is not even clear. What you mean the most activity on this section is about a name and on this thread? How many other threads are out there that have activity? I am sorry, but maybe you mean something else, but what seems you are suggesting simply does not even remotely begin to make sense.

I welcome any explicit clarifications as to what you are really suggesting. This forum certainly has other threads with more activity than this thread.

Sorry, but this paragraph invites the thought that you are simply trolling with no meaningful contribution to make. Surely that's not what you mean?

- Ricardo

You can think anyway you want and this will not be the first or the last time. :D Some thinking is set in certain directions with no possibility of a change.

Here is a thought: Pentax may be committed to the Q but do the buying customers feel that way?

raist3d

You can think anyway you want and this will not be the first or the last time. :D Some thinking is set in certain directions with no possibility of a change.
Just because you state it so doesn't make it true. All the activity goes in bursts. Certainly there are several threads with activity, no?

Here is a thought: Pentax may be committed to the Q but do the buying customers feel that way?
Not sure what that has to do with anything we are talking about, but since you ask given the Pentax Q system has been a best seller for Pentax - at least in Japan, with sales picking up outside of Japan as it dropped in price, seems like there are a reasonable amount of buyers customers.

But again, that doesn't have to do anything with what we are talking about.

Going back to the subject at hand, to give another example and I quote you:

If to take Ricardo and Bart out of this section, then....
Seems like you are not reading anything in this forum then. There are several posts on the K amongst other things. Come to think of it, how come it seems your contribution in this forum seems circumscribed to this thread for the most part? Or did I miss something?

- Ricardo

Michiel Schierbeek

Come on guys, nothing to get upset about.

Ricardo; Pentax Ricoh sounds good to me, but nothing will change if the moderators don't want or do it.

BTW There could be a seperate Sigma section as well, already 4 different Merrill cameras and a lot (relativly)of activity. There are a lot of Sigma customers, I believe.

V

Vivek

BTW There could be a seperate Sigma section as well, already 4 different Merrill cameras and a lot (relativly)of activity. There are a lot of Sigma customers, I believe.
I think the Admins would accede to that request. Sigma users would make that lively. :)