The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Q7

raist3d

Hi Ricardo,
What about mini review of Q7? Is it dead end couse smartphones has the same pixel count?

Vladimir
Vladimir, please let me know what you would like to see in the mini review not covered here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/pentax/48471-q7-q-evolved-impressions.html

and I can add to that if it's still short.

VS smartphones? If you ask me the biggest problem the Q line has is two:
(i) That it is a marketing challenge to convey how well designed the camera bodies are and just how small they are. Initially I had thought the original Q looked kinda ugly until I saw it in person and ugly became super cute ("Kawaiiii!!!").
(ii) A camera like an RX100 done well (which still doesn't exist) or some other super small camera is potentially the real competitor. Panasonic is about to unleash apparently the GM1 which will be super small too but use a m4/3rds sensor. Of course the Q lenses will be overall smaller though.

- Ricardo

PS: Add to that Ricoh/Pentax not coming out with the full "prime lenses" so far. Also they should make the lenses fast. 06 is great. 01 bis good but would be great as F1.0/F1.2.

Last edited:

raist3d

What ISO?
The first one is an ISO 800 pushed up +0.6ev.. so that would make it like ISO 1200.

The 2nd one is an ISO 3200 that while no EV change was applied the white point was moved up so in a way it is more than plain ISO 3200. But that only affects the brightest areas.

It was exceptionally bad light.

- Ricardo

benroy

Subscriber Member
Ricardo: I have enjoyed all of your images on this page...first rate stuff...head shots are marvelous...well done.

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Ricardo: I wasn't just looking, I was admiring, and each time I went over the pics, the greater the admiration and respect for them...you do very good work.

Roy Benson

raist3d

Ricardo: I wasn't just looking, I was admiring, and each time I went over the pics, the greater the admiration and respect for them...you do very good work.

Roy Benson
Aww man that's humbling. Thanks for the words. Not related per se (just to say in general), but i always welcome the "good" and the "bad" (in good faith) - love honest commentary either way.

Thanks again for the words. We'll see what I get this weekend. I may shoot with the XE1, so will post in the other forum if so. Or maybe Q7 again.

- Ricardo

raist3d

From tonight/Friday night. I am fascinated by the looks people can have during commute. What I also like a lot about this shot is how both color and light highlight the individual who seems to be alone within the environment.

For the curious, this is ISO 5000 on the Q7. No exposure compensation applied.

- Rircardo

Brian Mosley

Ricardo, these are absolutely leaps and bounds above anything I've seen you post over the years. I really think you've developed a strong eye and style looking at these.

Bravo - I have no idea what a Q7 looks like, but if it's helping you to forget about the camera and capture to this quality, I suspect you could forget about anything else for quite some time!

Thanks for sharing, these are quite inspiring

Brian