Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Pentax K3 flagship announced

Pentax K3 flagship announced

This can't be a 'pro grade' camera as it will come in silver too

Well, who's first ?

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax K3 flagship announced

I think it's a fantastic camera from everything I see, but I am not going to be first. It's just not the body for me, but I really admire how well it looks on capability and as usual- Pentax ergonomics.

Hopefully Jim Radcliff will go nuts with it :-)

One interesting question: I look at the size of the EM1 and this camera (or K-5ii) and... they are pretty close.

- Ricardo

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks great. It's unfortunate that I have so many cameras and so little money
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be a really nice great camera! Finally state of the art in Pentax style! Looks pretty similar WRT ergonomics like my K5IIs.

SO far I am out of this game as I decided to concentrate on m43 with EM1. But who knows

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't believe Pentax have still not introduced a articulating LCD, it's something I will not do without these days and the only reason I left Pentax.

It's indispensable to us old folk that can no longer lie on the ground and get up like we used to but still want to take images from a low perspective for impact.
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks like the most accomplished of all "classical" DSLR cameras.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if elements of Ricoh's brilliant user interface will find its way into this camera.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
    I can't believe Pentax have still not introduced a articulating LCD, it's something I will not do without these days and the only reason I left Pentax.

It's indispensable to us old folk that can no longer lie on the ground and get up like we used to but still want to take images from a low perspective for impact.
    Have you heard of something called "right angle viewfinder"?

Did you really quit a system because of a 100 USD accessory available for all cameras and much better then a tilting screen in bright sunight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post

It has something better: wireless tethering using a FLU SD card. You can control the camera using a laptop or smartphone (including focus with liveview).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    It has something better: wireless tethering using a FLU SD card. You can control the camera using a laptop or smartphone (including focus with liveview).

Tom
    It would be sure better, IF it would be built in WiFi and not via a FLU card!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    It would be sure better, IF it would be built in WiFi and not via a FLU card!
    That's saved for the 645DII

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    Have you heard of something called "right angle viewfinder"?

Did you really quit a system because of a 100 USD accessory available for all cameras and much better then a tilting screen in bright sunight?
    As someone who had wasted several such hundred $ on these angle finders and such crap, i appreciate the tilting LCD, live view, focus magnification and the whole modern works!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

New Pentax and Olympus top of the line cameras ...
    Both well spec'ed.
    Both compact.
    Both have a suitably comprehensive lens line.
    Both with their own plusses and minuses.

I'm in the Olympus camp for various reasons, and I've ordered the new Olympus. Handled it recently, looking forward to its arrival. I was curious about the sizing difference between these two remarkable cameras, so I went to camerasize.com. I put this page together as I thought you might be interested:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...aro/index.html

What struck me more than the size differences is the difference in number of buttons and such. Ricoh concentrated on lots of discrete function buttons, where Olympus made a big use of the 2x2 control system (the little lever on the back above your thumb flips button functions from an A set to a B set).

It will be interesting to see how they play out in use.

Having been a Pentax user in the past, I hope the new Pentax is every bit the fantastic camera its specs propose. It looks like Ricoh has done a good turn for Pentax.

My biggest reservations about Pentax equipment, sadly, are their quality control and the lenses which at one time were two of their greatest strengths. I've never had occasion to be concerned about these things with Olympus gear, which is one*of the reasons why I'm using Olympus. I hope Ricoh has also addressed these issues.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

The lots of buttons was an approach that was there since the K-7. That's just the Pentax approach to this camera body.

I think there's more than it seems on this comparison. The K-5 of over two years ago can still deliver better sensor IQ than the EM1 released today, a K-3 would be (most likely) even better.

But the Em1 has the size advantage until you look at these two particular cameras at camera size. The K-5 line and K-3 are really close in size. And I still think even comparing a K-5iis vs an Em1 is entirely valid- the K-5iis is hardly a bad camera.

The telephotos for Olympus will be smaller, but I can't say the same thing on the primes as those Pentax pancakes are pretty small too.

You get the ability to "turn off" the lack of AA filter- that's pretty clever and I dare say partially revolutionary (I wouldn't call it all out revolutionary).

And those who always wanted to keep using an OVF, with no lag at all can keep doing so.

I expect the EM1 to focus faster in good light than this one, at least with most lenses, though I expect the K-3 to focus faster in lower light given the K-5ii rating.

Oh, the K-3 is $100 USD cheaper too.

That said, at the smaller sizes, even smaller size differences matter more when you see/pick the camera, so I still expect the Em1 to "feel" smaller in a somewhat notable way over a K-3.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

There's at least one new feature in the K-3 which doesn't seem to be getting much attention so far, but which surely comes from Ricoh - the multipattern WB. This has been a distinctive feature of the later-generation GRD cameras - IIRC it appeared first in the GRD III.

Post Thanks / Like

True though I have to admit to you, my first thought on that was "Nikon" :-) Didn't know Ricoh had that.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love my K5IIs and the K3 looks like it will be a nice upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, forgot, the K-3 does have much better video. Would be good to see real samples and see how the compression is working to avoid compression artifacts, along with rolling shutter. This is an area that both Sony and Panasonic have nailed down pretty good.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    The K-5 of over two years ago can still deliver better sensor IQ than the EM1 released today, a K-3 would be (most likely) even better. ...
    To me, this is just a snore. Image quality produced by my ancient 5Mpixel 2003 Olympus E-1 is better than needed for 90% of everything. Ergonomics and handling are the primary criteria I judge cameras by nowadays.

More's always better, but enough is always enough.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    To me, this is just a snore. Image quality produced by my ancient 5Mpixel 2003 Olympus E-1 is better than needed for 90% of everything. Ergonomics and handling are the primary criteria I judge cameras by nowadays.

More's always better, but enough is always enough.

G
    To you its a snore, to others its not. I am glad you find your e-1 iq more than good enough- nothing wrong with that. And I actually agree with you particularly now that handling and ergonomics sure have a lot of weight at this point in the "what should matter today" scale. The e1 to me still has the best ergonomics of any Olympus 4/3 and I am glad to see the em1 layout as a step forward from the "sidetrack" they did with the e-3/e-5.

However, given the fact The k lines ergonomics are pretty much superb and so is its handling - given the asking price of both cameras its one thing to consider. How much of a consideration depends. Those that want better iso or available light work or landscapes probably would weight more the k. I think the em1 will still have an extra "kawai" factor that for many (I would include partially myself in here) that will make the feel of using it kind of smaller camera - right.

Going back to a more general discussion- One more feature that Pentax added here is the dual sd cards. For the working pro that's pretty good- you get an instant backup and workflow wise you can finish a card and send it to someone for backup/workflow purposes. Nikon had this already, glad to see pentax putting that in. That's great.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it's a fantastic camera from everything I see, but I am not going to be first. It's just not the body for me, but I really admire how well it looks on capability and as usual- Pentax ergonomics.

Hopefully Jim Radcliff will go nuts with it :-)

One interesting question: I look at the size of the EM1 and this camera (or K-5ii) and... they are pretty close.

- Ricardo
    In time... in time... I like what I have read about the K3 so far. The only thing that might be for a bit of concern on my part is the possiblity that the sensor does not perform well during long exposures. I hope the Pentax engineers are better than the Nikon guys.

Everything else looks good.. huge feature set and I already have the glass. The upgrade from the original K5 to the K5IIs was great. Love the IIs and hope that the K3 will be even better in every respect.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, can you provide any more thought regarding your concern with the sensor used in the K3 and long exposures?

Thanks, Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Jim, can you provide any more thought regarding your concern with the sensor used in the K3 and long exposures?

Thanks, Dan
    I've read some threads that said that the Nikon using this sensor had issues with noise and banding on long exposures... take it with a grain of salt... bottom line is that noise can be dealt with in post, detail can not be created in post and that large sensor on the K3 promises detail. Detail trumps noise in this case.

And remember.. this was just a couple of random posts.. could have been posts by people who did not know what they are talking about or how to post process. It's not a deal breaker.

Also, this could be a newer sensor and let us not forget that Pentax Engineers seem to know what they are doing. I am excited about this camera.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My main worry for the sensor is that I've seen it produce jagged diagonals and a somewhat "rough" output on other cameras. I generally like the output from the 16MP sensor in the K-5 as well as that in the E-M1 much more. Hopefully, Pentax has been able to solve this. The comparison to the E-M1 is fair enough, but if I could choose, I would have both. One is smaller, one has an optical viewfinder.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim for the response.

I am excited about the K3 as well. The K5IIs is a sweet camera and is a pleasure to use and a move to the K3 is something I am seriously contemplating.

. . . . . a little time and patience to insure it is not just GAS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Thanks Jim for the response.

I am excited about the K3 as well. The K5IIs is a sweet camera and is a pleasure to use and a move to the K3 is something I am seriously contemplating.

. . . . . a little time and patience to insure it is not just GAS.
    I was actually considering a move back to Canon with a 5D MKIII but did some serious analytical thought: Canon is not an innovator, lenses are big and costly (I only use L glass), weight, bulk, etc... and then I remembered why I sold my Canon gear and switched to the K5.

So, if everything pans out I will get the K3. Still waiting to see more output from the K3. I'm done with specs. I need reports of use and sample photos... and not just the ISO 100 shots that Pentax/Ricoh posts.. I want to see the gamut.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim- just flat out curious, why were you considering a move to a 5D MKIII? Not saying it's bad or good- just wondering. For the photos I see you take seems like a K-5ii is more than good.

To me the biggest con to a 5DMKIII would be as you said- size/weight of lenses, etc. If I was into video looks like it's a good move but then at that point I would consider a GH3 or *gasp* the K-3 as the K-3 looks like it has significantly improved video. I wonder how far Pentax went with the K-3 on the video IQ (rolling shutter, compression artifacts)- the options seem to be there (framerates).

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

The K-3 is still a pretty small camera. It's almost a K-5 in size and the K-5 is pretty small. I think these pictures on this preview of pocket lint make the case well. I must say it looks sexy with all the new LCD and options.

Pentax K-3 pictures and hands-on: Top-spec DSLR sticks with APS-C sensor, loads up on new features - Pocket-lint

Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, it's just amazing how WELL THOUGHT that UI of the Pentaxes is. Even the Pentax Q shares pretty much the same UI and feature set on all the options like intervalometer, make a movie or not, when to start.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim- just flat out curious, why were you considering a move to a 5D MKIII? Not saying it's bad or good- just wondering. For the photos I see you take seems like a K-5ii is more than good.

To me the biggest con to a 5DMKIII would be as you said- size/weight of lenses, etc. If I was into video looks like it's a good move but then at that point I would consider a GH3 or *gasp* the K-3 as the K-3 looks like it has significantly improved video. I wonder how far Pentax went with the K-3 on the video IQ (rolling shutter, compression artifacts)- the options seem to be there (framerates).

- Ricardo
    I am at the point where I hope to actually begin to make some income from my photography. Landscapes, large prints, etc. For some work I need high ISO and great detail with low noise. I have seen such from the 5D MKIII but in the end I rejected the move back to Canon. I am staying with Pentax.

The K3 has come along at a good time. It will probably be my next camera and hopefully allow me to do the work I enjoy without any compromise.

The one camera I have that I do enjoy using but do not use often is the X-Pro1. I keep debating whether to keep it but always end up deciding to keep it for those "travel very light" times... and a need for a non-threatening, non-pro looking camera.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I was actually considering a move back to Canon with a 5D MKIII but did some serious analytical thought: Canon is not an innovator, lenses are big and costly (I only use L glass), weight, bulk, etc... and then I remembered why I sold my Canon gear and switched to the K5.
    Jim, I am curious as to what lenses you are using or have?

If I was looking to move back to a DSLR this K-3 would be high on my list. Its pretty feature packed and the size is great. I do wonder if we need built-in flashes anymore and can only wonder how much smaller it could be without one?

I'd be interested to know if it has clean HDMI output so that it could be used with a Prores hard drive recorder. Few cameras seem to have this. The video frame rates offered on the K3 are very good.

There are some cute features like the 4K movie interval frame recording mode.

Post Thanks / Like

I am at the point where I hope to actually begin to make some income from my photography. Landscapes, large prints, etc. For some work I need high ISO and great detail with low noise. I have seen such from the 5D MKIII but in the end I rejected the move back to Canon. I am staying with Pentax.

The K3 has come along at a good time. It will probably be my next camera and hopefully allow me to do the work I enjoy without any compromise.

The one camera I have that I do enjoy using but do not use often is the X-Pro1. I keep debating whether to keep it but always end up deciding to keep it for those "travel very light" times... and a need for a non-threatening, non-pro looking camera.
    I think you cannot compare and should not compare Canon 5DIII and Pentax K3 or even K5IIs - the Pentax's are better! From what I have seen in the short time I used the K5IIs is exceptional low noise behavior even at ISO 50k, the 5D3 produces lot of garbage at these high ISO - polished and cleaned images, whereas the K5IIs keeps more details. Also I think the more demanding factor than high ISO are lenses and lens quality today. And WRT lens quality the Pentax wins - even against L glass, given you are using the right Pentax lenses and are lucky to get good samples.

So for me this would be a NO-Brainer to continue with the K3, as should have same high ISO quality but with higher resolution. I loved to shoot the K5IIs (currently on sale) as I am going for m43 with EM1 because of system size. But would system size (including zooms) not matter, I would stay with Pentax K3 instead.

Might still happen that I will keep my K5IIs and add a K3 and build that as a second system for having an OVF solution with Pentax and an EVF solution with Olympus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Jim, I am curious as to what lenses you are using or have?
    Sorry for the delay in response. I have the following lenses.

DA* 16-50mm
    DA* 50-135mm

Limiteds
    31mm
    43mm
    77mm

35mm Macro
    18-135mm kit lens
    50-200mm Kit lens

I use the DA* 16-50mm more than any other lens.. but I want something wider.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Pentax K3 flagship announced

This can't be a 'pro grade' camera as it will come in silver too

Well, who's first ?

I think you'd better be first Bart - let's face it, Silver is your colour!

by the way - it looks like a fantastic camera . . . . I might be there but for the lack of good zooms compared to µ43

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think you'd better be first Bart - let's face it, Silver is your colour!

by the way - it looks like a fantastic camera . . . . I might be there but for the lack of good zooms compared to µ43

all the best
    Ha! That limited Silver Edition is hideous.
    Mmm that said, perhaps I only do need to swap that silver battery grip

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Knorp; 29th October 2014 at 13:46.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I use the DA* 16-50mm more than any other lens.. but I want something wider.
    Jim, I have a 12–24 f4 Pentax zoom that is/was made in association with Tokina, and it’s a beauty!

Mine cost me $500AU (eBay) from New Zealand. Pretty good at full aperture!
    Last edited by mediumcool; 23rd October 2013 at 21:29. Reason: added *eBay*

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I think you cannot compare and should not compare Canon 5DIII and Pentax K3 or even K5IIs - the Pentax's are better! From what I have seen in the short time I used the K5IIs is exceptional low noise behavior even at ISO 50k, the 5D3 produces lot of garbage at these high ISO - polished and cleaned images, whereas the K5IIs keeps more details. Also I think the more demanding factor than high ISO are lenses and lens quality today. And WRT lens quality the Pentax wins - even against L glass, given you are using the right Pentax lenses and are lucky to get good samples.

So for me this would be a NO-Brainer to continue with the K3, as should have same high ISO quality but with higher resolution. I loved to shoot the K5IIs (currently on sale) as I am going for m43 with EM1 because of system size. But would system size (including zooms) not matter, I would stay with Pentax K3 instead.

Might still happen that I will keep my K5IIs and add a K3 and build that as a second system for having an OVF solution with Pentax and an EVF solution with Olympus
    Hi Peter,
    I have to disagree here. I really like the Pentax, but besides size and eventually color and low ISO pixel sharpness (of the K5IIs) I see no area where the Pentax bodies or Pentax lenses would be an advantage over Canon.
    The Canon 24-70/2.8II is the best and most consistent midrange zoom I have ever used, and overall I had much more lens quality problems with Pentax than I have with Canon. Then there is the much bigger viewfinder of the 5dIII as well as much better AF.

I still have (and probably will keep)the Pentax K5IIs and Pentax has some nice, small sized lenses, but size is the main argument here (IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

I would be so over this if it were full frame. The K3 got sandwitched between the Em1 and the A7.... bad timing to be releasing this. I really hoped Pentax would jump the curve and go full frame directly

Post Thanks / Like

Full frame is a great option for those using wide angle lenses... but for those of us who shoot wildlife and birds, or big surf... this could be the camera some of us have been waiting for.

While the Sony A77 is beautiful at 100 iso... it begins to get noisy at 200, and fine detail rendering of bird feathers is seriously compromised by 400 iso. I'm hoping the Pentax will work some magic with the same sensor... though I won't believe it until I see the results.

The K3 will have a much larger buffer and an optical viewfinder, which I'll take any day over the mediocre evf of the A77. I'm personally looking forward to seeing some image results at 100-400 iso with the Pentax.

Here's a small crop of a 100 iso file taken with the A77, Leica 400 APO 2.8 (pre modular) and the Macro R tube, taken several weeks ago in Ecuador. If the Pentax can deliver this low iso quality and improve upon the 400-800 iso results of the Sony I'm all over it.
    Lawrence
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI. An interesting comparison of the K-3 to D600:

Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    FYI. An interesting comparison of the K-3 to D600:

Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon
    Thanks Tom for the link.
    Interesting comparison indeed, but I don't need to look at other brands to know that I'm still very much pleased with the output from my Pentax !
    Tempting as the K3 may be, I'll await next spring with bated breath ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

As good as the K-3 is, I hardly see any "need" to upgrade from anyone holding a K-5. The K-5 is still pretty darn good.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

As good as the K-3 is, I hardly see any "need" to upgrade from anyone holding a K-5. The K-5 is still pretty darn good.

- Ricardo
    How about:

Decent video support (finally)

50% larger print size

Hardly”?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    How about:

50% larger print size

Hardly”?

16 to 24MP represents around 22% linear increase in print size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    16 to 24MP represents around 22% linear increase in print size.
    And your point?

Photographic prints, like other *flat* objects, have two working dimensions: multiply them together and the result is called *area*. T

alking about linear measurements, as so many do with film and sensor size, is not always the most apposite approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And your point?

Photographic prints, like other *flat* objects, have two working dimensions: multiply them together and the result is called *area*. T

alking about linear measurements, as so many do with film and sensor size, is not always the most apposite approach.
    My point is that most people, when they hear or read "50% increase in size", they imagine a 50% linear increase. The reason is simple: It's the way we are brought up to think. Sizes of TV sets and computer screens are given in linear sizes, as is film. Even video camera resolution is measured that way. Digital still cameras represent one of rather few exceptions.

And when you sell or buy a print, you specify the linear size, like 50 x 70 cm, not 3,500 sq. cm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- Ricardo
    I agree. In my case it's my vision that needs upgrading, not my equipment

I found the review interesting simply because of the conclusion, which is quite opposite to the assumption that larger sensors always win.

Post Thanks / Like

How about:

50% larger print size

Hardly”?

Yes, hardly. If you need better video then sure, go for it. Print Size? If you are printing huge, sure but how many people are *really* printing that big? It's not like you can't print big as it is with 16 MP.

I can see a landscape photographer going for it since you always want more detail as a landscape photographer.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These certainly show what a little extra resolution gives.

Photoble Uploader for PENTAX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tried the K3 and have returned it...

I posted this in the "Other" forum and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys here as well.

I received the Pentax K3 and kept it for 48 hours before returning it. My main reason for ordering the camera was what was described as faster AF and lower noise at high ISO settings.

Strike 1: I did not find the AF speed to be significantly increased over that of the K5 IIs. The key word here is significantly.

Strike 2: The noise reduction above ISO 800 was not a significant improvement to my eye. In fact, there appeared to be a bit of unexpected noise in shots with blue sky and good light. I found that a bit disturbing.

Strike 3: Upgrade cost was high for the marginal improvements in the areas that I was most interested in.

I don’t shoot action shots which require tracking. This is another area that has been improved on the K3 over the K5 but it did not apply to what and how I shoot. If that were critical to me, I may have kept the K3.

I don’t do video so those features and improvements are of no value to me.

The bottom line: The K3 is a gorgeous camera. It’s built like a tank and the new LCD, dual card slots and a few other tweaks are all great but in the end the K3 did not perform much better than my K5 IIs and I could not justify what was a $1295 upgrade for minor improvements over my K5 IIs for what and how I shoot. The AF is more accurate but that alone was not reason enough for me to keep the K3.

That said, if I owned any other K mount camera than the K5 IIs and was looking to upgrade, it probably would have been a keeper.

For those who might say that I did not give it enough time; I was looking for two things that are very important to me: significantly faster AF and much better high ISO noise performance. It did not take long to realize that these two areas had received incremental improvements rather than major improvements… in my opinion, of course.

Please do not take this as a K3 bashing, as it is not. The K3 is an outstanding camera, just not enough improvements in the areas I was interested in the most over the K5 IIs I already own. Understand that I judged the K3 based on my needs, your needs and expectations may differ greatly.

The K3 may very well be a dream come true for many.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com