The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Lens Designations?

J

JohnW

I'm planning to rent a K-3 over Christmas, which would be my first experience with Pentax. I'm completely in the dark about their lens naming conventions and how they relate to build and performance. Could someone explain their product naming for me?

I'd like to rent a good 50mm or so equivalent with the body. What would you suggest? Appreciate your help.

John

KII

John:

Try the 43mm FA (something of a legend) or the 40mm DA. FA, full frame film-era; DFA, digital-era full frame; DA, digital-era reduced image circle.

If something wider, try the 31mm FA or 35mm DFA macro.

seakayaker

The 31/1.8 works out to be a 46.5 mm is often regarded as one of the best Pentax lens. The 43/1.9 works out to be a 64.5 mm while the 35/2.8 works out to be a 53.5 mm equivalent.

Reid reviews has some solid reviews on lens as well as the Pentax forums web site.

Paratom

DA are elenses for DX-sensor size
FA are lenses from full frame time which still work very well on dx-sied cameras.
Da and FA "limited" lenses are lenses build in compact size with a very nice metal build and usually quite good optical quality.

If you want a 50mm equivalent there are for example the 35/2.8 lim. Macro which is a ver good lenses, the 31/1.8 FA lim. which is my favorite Pentax lens (but expensive), a little long the excellent 43 FA lim. or the lower price 35/2.4 (I have no experience with it).

J

JohnW

Thank you all. That's very helpful. I'll likely go with the 31 1.8 or 35 macro.

I now see the Pentax web site describes the series very well.

John